Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TouchArcade has spotted the appearance of a free MAME game emulator on the App Store called iMAME. MAME is a popular arcade machine emulator that will run thousands of arcade games if you have the original ROMs.

icade.jpg

iMAME running Simpsons with iCade support.​
iMAME ships with nine "less than stellar" ROMs to play, but apparently can load arbitrary ROMs using a 3rd party utility such as iExplorer without jailbreaking:
It seems that the same method used to get games into iDOS also works in iMAME. Twitter user @mattlukens mentions, "Yep, add a .zip rom to the Docs folder through PhoneView and it works perfect! Just tried Crime Fighters!" He also provided a screenshot. The clock is really ticking now on Apple pulling this down
Apple has had a bit of a spotty history with emulators on the App Store. While a number of individual emulators do exist on the App Store, Apple has been more restrictive about these open emulators, presumably due to potential legal issues. For example, a full DOS/Windows 3.0 emulator appeared in the App Store at one point but was quickly pulled by Apple.

iMAME is currently available as a free Universal application on the App Store. [Link]

Update: It took Apple two days to get around to it with the holidays, but iMAME has been removed from the App Store.

Article Link: iMAME Arcade Emulator Hits the App Store (For Now) [Update: Pulled]

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
The clock is really ticking now on Apple pulling this down

It's not breaking any of the app store rules. There are many emulators up on the app store. The only app store requirement is that you can only play games bundled with your app. It doesn't cover users jail breaking the phone and loading more.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
How do i put this on my iPod touch? i'm dumb xD

Easiest way is to open "www.macrumors.com" in your iPod Touch's web browser, then click on the "Link" at the end of the article.

arn

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Number 41 said:
I can put in a folder with Tether titled "Banned 2011 Apps"

Don't forget handylight!

Edit: oh wait, I think that's from 2010!

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
It's not breaking any of the app store rules. There are many emulators up on the app store. The only app store requirement is that you can only play games bundled with your app. It doesn't cover users jail breaking the phone and loading more.

I guess your reading comprehension isn't so great because in the OP it says you can load more on it with-OUT Jb'ing...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Downloaded (still available). But too bad none of these ancient arcade games are optimized for touchscreen.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Ouch. requires iOS 4.3 or newer. Have to wait until I get home to grab it, as I'm still on my iPhone 3G (3.1.3). Hope that it's still there.. :(

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.