Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:51 PM   #51
zorinlynx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
(insert name of App MacRumors staff like) was released for OS X or iOS today.

Nothing to see here folks. Just a little advertising.
Yep, because this snarky post is really contributing much.

Thank you Macrumors for posting about this app. It will likely be pulled, and if not for the post on Macrumors I would have missed my opportunity to get it.

Don't pay attention to Mr. the8thark.
zorinlynx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:54 PM   #52
ryanwar6
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
(insert name of App MacRumors staff like) was released for OS X or iOS today.

Nothing to see here folks. Just a little advertising.
Seriously?

I suppose by that logic, you could consider most of the posts Macrumors or any other similar site puts up to be advertising...

I believe the purpose of this post was to show an app that falls into a category of "Previously Frowned Upon by Apple" and therefore could potentially signal a change of heart by Apple and the App Store policy. At the least could potentially merit discussion.

But you are probably right...
ryanwar6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:55 PM   #53
risc
macrumors 68030

Thanks for the heads up.

I've downloaded it on my 4S, and iPad 2. Not sure if it's worth it though, the controls on both are laggy as hell.

Oh well here's hoping Apple let this stay on the store, and we can get some updates.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:58 PM   #54
macdude2012
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by risc View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

I've downloaded it on my 4S, and iPad 2. Not sure if it's worth it though, the controls on both are laggy as hell.

Oh well here's hoping Apple let this stay on the store, and we can get some updates.
yea kinda laggy, but since i own a real mame arcade i have all the roms so ive deleted all the wack roms that came with imame and loaded up gyruss donkey kong jr galaga and megazone, its amazing i still cant beat these games, lololol apple definitely gonna pull this!!!
macdude2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:59 PM   #55
boshii
macrumors 68030

To get roms, google "mame roms" and click the first site.

To get the roms on your phone, use iExplorer and navigate to your apps folder and select the iMame app. Put the roms in the Documents folder where you see all the pre-installed roms.
boshii is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:15 PM   #56
macdude2012
macrumors newbie

oooh wee outrun on ipad, this takes me back to the 80's
macdude2012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:24 PM   #57
headlylm
macrumors newbie

App is set up for Mirroring. If you turn your iPhone or iPad to mirroring, the App auto detects your TV screen and gives you the game screen, while keeping all your controls on your iPad/iPhone. Very slick.
headlylm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:29 PM   #58
Stormy05
macrumors member

seems kinda hard to find the roms that work. I got crime fighters to work but still cant find the right street fighters II i am checking here http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/wiki/GameList
and I got sf2a to show but when I try to load it says "required files are missing" anyone know what i'm doing wrong? or is it most likley bad roms?
Stormy05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:39 PM   #59
huck500
macrumors 6502

Hyper Olympics works, which is pretty much a year of my life 30 years ago. Super Basketball doesn't but hopefully I'll find a version that does. Loving this.
huck500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:47 PM   #60
sixstorm
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to sixstorm
NFL Blitz doesn't work. FAIL.
sixstorm is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:48 PM   #61
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Anyone get Killer Instinct working on this?
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:48 PM   #62
bytethese
macrumors 68030

Darn, had my hopes up I can use my NES roms again on my iPhone4S. Doh, I need my jailbreak back.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:00 PM   #63
madmax_2069
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy05 View Post
seems kinda hard to find the roms that work. I got crime fighters to work but still cant find the right street fighters II i am checking here http://code.google.com/p/imame4all/wiki/GameList
and I got sf2a to show but when I try to load it says "required files are missing" anyone know what i'm doing wrong? or is it most likley bad roms?
Usually when it does that means its a bad dump (bad rom). the web is flooded with bad roms. the only way to solve it is to keep searching. If it shows you what files are missing the you might be able to find different bad rom dumps and take the needed files out of them and make a working rom. I had to do that with APB.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:03 PM   #64
rosemary1
macrumors regular

This is fantastic! I got both TMNT arcade games to work. Awesome.
rosemary1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:17 PM   #65
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Um… okay… this is really great. I haven't played with emulators on the computer in years, but I just got this and I've got a Ninja Turtles game running and it's awesome.

Does anyone know if any of the arcade cabinet accessories for iPad could be compatible with this app? I know there are a few different types from different companies (I think Atari makes one). Any idea if I could get one working with this?

edit: Oh, apparently it works with iCade. I probably should have looked more closely at the article.

Last edited by NameUndecided; Dec 21, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
NameUndecided is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:26 PM   #66
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

The biggest impediment to running MAME ROMs on the iPhone/iPad will be the RAM. The 24MB that apps have to work with is not a whole lot. I remember running MAME on a hacked Xbox 1 and it couldn't handle the RAM required by most MAME roms that were from the mid-90s onward.

I got a certain robot maze game running though, with its robot sound in full synthesized glory. The joystick is awkward, but plays better in landscape than portrait mode. Didn't notice any lag, but that's a game from the early 80s so I'd hope not.

Last edited by petsounds; Dec 21, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
petsounds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:39 PM   #67
JPyre
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to JPyre
Mk atv2 4gs

720p

Yes, portrait works too.

Believe it or not I own a jamma of this as well so I'm legit
Old Dec 21, 2011, 08:50 PM   #68
JAT
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameUndecided View Post
edit: Oh, apparently it works with iCade. I probably should have looked more closely at the article.
It was probably that tiny little picture arn included.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:04 PM   #69
AppleTart
macrumors newbie

GOT IT [ how can I transfer rom files to my iPAD2? ]
AT
AppleTart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:07 PM   #70
babyj
macrumors 6502a

For the novices having problems with the roms, you're doing it wrong....

iMame4all is based on an old version of Mame (0.375b). You need to find the right versions of the roms as they change over time and so are (to a degree) specific to a version of Mame.

So either find the correct versions of the roms or create your own, for which you'd need; the current rom set, the rollback rom set, clrmame pro and the clrmame dat file for iMame4all. Google it if you need more info.
babyj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:09 PM   #71
musio
macrumors 68000

From Wikipedia (hoping apple let us have this one which will boos iPhone sales around Xmas.....*whistling*)

Owning and distributing MAME itself is legal in most countries, as it is merely an emulator. Companies such as Sony have attempted in court to prevent emulators from being sold, but they have been ultimately unsuccessful.[14] MAME itself has thus far not been the subject of any court cases.
musio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:17 PM   #72
gkarris
macrumors 604

I guess with Williams in limbo - this is the only way to get Joust, Robotron, and Defender...

Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:28 PM   #73
babyj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
To get roms, google "mame roms" and click the first site.
That probably won't work too well. All of their roms are for the latest version of Mame so a good few of them won't work on iMame4all.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
That same file mentioned that the app can support up to 4 wiimotes... does that mean Nintendo Wii Remotes Controllers?
They do with the jailbreak version but it looks like the feature has been pulled from the app store version.
babyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:32 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kevorkian94 View Post
i really can't figure out how to put more rom's on
Don't know it either, which makes this app virtually useless to me...anyway, what kind of platform is it exactly emulating? Core arcade games or a specific vintage computer?
50548 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:34 PM   #75
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Don't know it either, which makes this app virtually useless to me...anyway, what kind of platform is it exactly emulating? Core arcade games or a specific vintage computer?
Arcade machines. all of them (more or less).

arn
arn is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion