Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
So I have a 5th generation iPod nano which I'm quite happy with, apart from one issue: it's too quiet. Even on full volume, it's basically like three quarters volume on my iPhone 4 and even my first gen iPod touch.

I think the problem is in the volume limit settings. When I open the volume limit option, I see it's set just below full volume. When I put it up to full volume, it plays at a decent level while I'm in that menu, but as soon as I hit the center button to save the setting, it takes me back to the previous menu and puts the limiter back to just below full again! :mad:

Is there any any I can make it play at full volume? It's really irritating me that it's obvious the device can play my music properly, but it's choosing not to.

Thanks.

DrewJM

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2011
Hi,

I am not sure this will answer your question, but I wanted to offer a suggestion/observation.

When you enter the Volume Limit screen, you will see the volume level you are currently at when you were last listening. It's displayed with the segmented bars. The Volume Limit is displayed by that little arrow above the volume bars. When you scroll on your wheel to select the level, you push the center button and it will move the arrow to whatever level you select. IT WILL however, bring you back one screen and at the same time, down to the volume level you were at before you made any changes. You would then have to turn up the volume to where you want it as you would normally do.

This probably doesn't help, but I did notice it is a little misleading when it brings you back down after you make your selection. You will notice that the arrow indicating the limiter has been saved though.

Lastly, it never hurts to factory restore your iPod. I know it's a pain, but it's a worth a try.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
That's very helpful, because it shows I was just doing it wrong :p

Honestly, I've become far too used to iOS :p

In that case, the volume limit is at the maximum, yet it's still too quiet. Does that mean the nano just isn't capable of playing music loudly then? Because that'd be even more irritating. I'd hate to have to get rid of this iPod because it isn't loud enough.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
The UK iPods have a volume limit, but the US ones don't. That said, the US ones aren't nearly as loud as other iPods in the lineup. My 5th gen nanos are not nearly as loud as my Classics. Just the way they are I guess.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I thought it was something to do with the EU volume limit, and I remember hacking the firmware of older iPods to get rid of it. But if that's the case now, why do my Touch and iP4 go louder without any sort of hacking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.