Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
German Court Unlikely to Award Apple Injunction Against Galaxy Tab 10.1N




Last month, Samsung released a revised Galaxy Tab 10.1N design in Germany in hopes of avoiding an injunction barring the sale of the device under its original design over claims of infringement from Apple.




Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1N
Arguing that the design changes did not go far enough, Apple quickly filed suit in an attempt to bar the new design as well. But according to Bloomberg, the judge in the new case does not seem inclined to support such an injunction, giving customers credit for being able to distinguish between the devices.
Quote:
The Dusseldorf court that banned sales of the Galaxy 10.1 on Sept. 9 is unlikely to grant Apple an injunction against the Galaxy 10.1N, Presiding Judge Johanna Brueckner-Hofmann said at a hearing today. Samsung has changed the device's design sufficiently to distance it from the iPad, she said, adding that the view is preliminary. [...]

"Consumers are well aware that there is an original and that competitors try to use similar designs, so buyers are vigilant when looking at products," Brueckner-Hofmann said. "We don't think that someone buys a Samsung to make his table neighbor at the coffee house believe he owns an iPad."
A final decision on Apple's request is scheduled to be released on February 9.

After several early wins in its efforts to bar sales of Samsung's tablet devices, the tide has begun to turn against Apple in a number of locations. In Australia, where an injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 has been lifted, Samsung is now using the legal fight to promote its device, calling the Galaxy Tab "the tablet Apple tried to stop".

Article Link: German Court Unlikely to Award Apple Injunction Against Galaxy Tab 10.1N
MacRumors is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:06 AM   #2
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 3.2.1; en-us; Xoom Build/HTK75D) AppleWebKit/534.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.13)

Samsung should have made them all like that from the get go. Front facing, stereo speakers makes perfect sense to me not to do it.

Perhaps they should go for their own community design on this one?
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | HP Chromebook 11 | Moto G GPE | LG G Watch | iPhone 4s | iPad Mini Retina | Asus MemoPad ME176C

Last edited by ChazUK; Dec 22, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
ChazUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:08 AM   #3
*LTD*
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
As if anyone's really buying them in the first place.

Now it's got another problem (aside from running Android): it's fugly.
*LTD* is offline   -23 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:08 AM   #4
JackieTreehorn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Amsterdam
I wish I were designer at Samsung. The most relaxed job in the world.
__________________
How's the smut business, Jackie?
27" iMac i7 | 13" MBA 3rd Gen 128 SSD | iPad 3 64Gb | iPhone 4 32Gb | iPhone 4s 32Gb | AppleTV 2nd Gen | AppleTV 3rd Gen | iPod Classic 120Gb | iPod Nano 8Gb
JackieTreehorn is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:12 AM   #5
kdarling
macrumors G4
 
kdarling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 23+.
It was clear from the beginning that Apple's short term goal was to simply delay as much of Samsung's holiday sales as possible.

That's why Apple went for quickie injunctions using mostly untested and sometimes obscurely worded IP.

The injunctions often automatically began, and it took weeks or months to review the claimed IP to remove the injunction.

Legally, brilliant. PR wise, perhaps not so much. Apple is no longer seen as the underdog.
kdarling is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:13 AM   #6
acidfast7
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: EU
Germans aren't stupid.
acidfast7 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:16 AM   #7
kevinof
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ireland
Nope, but the legal system is. Should never have been an injunction in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Germans aren't stupid.
kevinof is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:18 AM   #8
The Great Boony
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Android is a stolen copy of iOS, Google should be forced to withdraw Android
The Great Boony is offline   -23 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:18 AM   #9
AJH1993
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I've said it once, I'll say it again. This thread is just going to end up in arguing. So have fun with that, mods.
AJH1993 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:20 AM   #10
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
Android is a stolen copy of iOS, Google should be forced to withdraw Android
This is nuts. I'm not saying its a superior OS, but Android is nothing like iOS.
kas23 is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:22 AM   #11
The Great Boony
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
This is nuts. I'm not saying its a superior OS, but Android is nothing like iOS.
Android was even more unlike IOS before they employed ex Apple employees that had inside knowledge prior to the iPhone being announced.
The Great Boony is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Kilamite
macrumors G3
 
Kilamite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland
It gets said a lot, but can we have a separate forum for lawsuits? While I find this stuff interesting to read time to time, there's like a new thread everyday on it with minor details appearing on page 1.

There's one for the Mac and iOS, why not one for lawsuits too?
__________________
15" MacBook Pro 2GHz i7 8GB 750GB Hybrid | Mac mini 2.3GHz i7 16GB 1TB Fusion | OS X 10.10
iPhone 5 64GB | Apple TV 3 1080p | iOS 7.1.2
Home Theatre Hackintosh i3 3.5GHz 4GB 3TB | OS X 10.9
Kilamite is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:23 AM   #13
AJH1993
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
Android was even more unlike IOS before they employed ex Apple employees that had inside knowledge prior to the iPhone being announced.
I fail to see how Android is a copy of iOS just because it came out a year later.
AJH1993 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:26 AM   #14
The Great Boony
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993 View Post
Oh yeah? iOS is a stolen copy of Meego, BBOS and Symbian. But I'm sure you sheep have never heard of any of those platforms cause you just buy whatever has a shiny Apple logo on it.
Android - Prior to employing ex Apple IOS employees:

Thumb resize.
The Great Boony is offline   -18 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:28 AM   #15
AJH1993
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
Android - Prior to employing ex Apple IOS employees:

Thumb resize.
So what? If you want a direct copy of iOS look at chinese knockoff iPhones running Java-proprietary platforms. But until you come up with valid points as to how it is a ripoff, your argument is invalid.
AJH1993 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:30 AM   #16
The Great Boony
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993 View Post
So what? If you want a direct copy of iOS look at chinese knockoff iPhones running Java-proprietary platforms. But until you come up with valid points as to how it is a ripoff, your argument is invalid.
Its not an argument. Its fact, Android ripped off Apple and stole IOS.
The Great Boony is offline   -24 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:30 AM   #17
Reborn
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
As if anyone's really buying them in the first place.

Now it's got another problem (aside from running Android): it's fugly.
You mean STILL fugly.
Reborn is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:31 AM   #18
AJH1993
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
Its not an argument. Its fact, Android ripped off Apple and stole IOS.
How so?
AJH1993 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:32 AM   #19
dgree03
macrumors 65816
 
dgree03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
Android - Prior to employing ex Apple IOS employees:

Thumb resize.
How many times does this need to get debunked? Android was prototyped on a touch screen device and keyboard device. Android is hardware agnostic... it can work on anything.
__________________
This is me, I am a Tech Hoarder. Lover of all tech.
dgree03 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:32 AM   #20
ChazUK
macrumors 603
 
ChazUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJH1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
Android - Prior to employing ex Apple IOS employees:

Thumb resize.
So what? If you want a direct copy of iOS look at chinese knockoff iPhones running Java-proprietary platforms. But until you come up with valid points as to how it is a ripoff, your argument is invalid.
Some things are best ignored.
__________________
Windows 8 Desktop | HP Chromebook 11 | Moto G GPE | LG G Watch | iPhone 4s | iPad Mini Retina | Asus MemoPad ME176C
ChazUK is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:32 AM   #21
dokujaryu
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Irvine, California
........ is... is it over????




I was going to make more copies.
__________________
iPhone 6+ 64GB | Ordered Friday @3PM on website w/ Jump Overnight Shipping | Delivered 9/26/2014
2014 rMBP 2.5 | i7 4790K @ 4.7Ghz GTX 770 | Sony Xperia Z2 | iPad Air
dokujaryu is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:32 AM   #22
Mattie Num Nums
macrumors 68030
 
Mattie Num Nums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
Android - Prior to employing ex Apple IOS employees:

Thumb resize.
http://www.osnews.com/story/25264/Di...re_the_iPhone_

You forgot to post the other early device they had. The on that looked like the iphone before the iphone.
__________________
I like Apple stuff but, I am not in the Apple cult.
Mattie Num Nums is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:33 AM   #23
The Great Boony
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.1; en-gb; Galaxy Nexus Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)



Some things are best ignored.
I should have ignored him I know.
The Great Boony is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:33 AM   #24
GreyStreet
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
Its not an argument. Its fact, Android ripped off Apple and stole IOS.
If that's the case you wouldn't have Apple fanboys claiming Android is crap...can't have it both ways.

You obviously haven't used both because they are as dissimilar as they are the same.

But you post this same nonsense in every thread and it's been replied to several times, so you either don't bother to read or don't understand it, so what's the point?
GreyStreet is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 09:33 AM   #25
marcusj0015
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidfast7 View Post
Germans aren't stupid.
WTF are you talking about? sounds like somebody has an inferiority complex, or a dozen.
marcusj0015 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phones: Apple’s US injunction on Samsung Galaxy Nexus reversed by appeals court ChazUK Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Oct 11, 2012 10:42 AM
Samsung Promises to Fight on in Internal Memo, Seeks to Overturn Galaxy Tab Injunction MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 58 Aug 28, 2012 08:54 AM
Apple Wins Injunction Barring U.S. Sales of Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 1205 Aug 21, 2012 02:51 PM
Apple Wins EU Sales Ban on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, Loses Appeal on Galaxy Tab 10.1N MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 21 Jul 26, 2012 06:47 AM
Apple Wins Preliminary Injunction Against Samsung Galaxy Tab Sales in U.S. MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 413 Jul 1, 2012 01:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC