Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mzl.xankuudu.320x480-751.jpg

Rockstar is offering their three iOS apps for up to 40 percent off as a holiday sale, including the just-released Grand Theft Auto III.
Today, we are pleased to announce a special holiday sale for Grand Theft Auto III: 10 Year Anniversary Edition, Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars and Beaterator at the iTunes store. The sale starts today, December 22, and will end on December 29.

GTA III: 10 Year Anniversary Edition - 40% off - $2.99 [Direct Link]
GTA: Chinatown Wars - 40% off - $5.99 [Direct Link]
Beaterator - 33% off - $1.99 [Direct Link]

Article Link: Rockstar Offers Holiday Sale on All iOS Apps, Including GTA III

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Hey Rockstar, thanks for putting GTA III 40% off a week after you started selling it. Nothing like screwing your loyal fans who bought it right away.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Bit of a slap in the face. We've all just paid full price, then they cut it less than 7 days later!

I love GTA but the mobile version's controls have been horrendous on the ipad.

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
Yeah that was pretty sad but the game is easily worth $5.

I REALLY wish they would add retina support to Chinatown Wars though.

I thought or was thinking that when GTA3 hit, Chinatown would get an update as well, but i guess i was wrong .

Ah well maybe one day :).

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I find all these game companies just reinforcing the idea that you shouldn't buy a game at launch.

Recent examples:
Batman Arkham City (PC): $50 at launch, $25 on Steam yesterday
GTA III iOS: $6.99 at launch, $2.99 today
Battlefield 3: $59.99 at launch, $30 the other day

Luckily I only got burned $4 on the GTA launch.

Moral of the story: Wait 1-3 months after launch to buy and get twice as many games.

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Consultant said:
Hey Rockstar, thanks for putting GTA III 40% off a week after you started selling it. Nothing like screwing your loyal fans who bought it right away.

It's $2 difference.

$2 is $2. I hate when this happens.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
i feel pissed!! i paid £2.99 for it!! but to be fair its the best game iv bought on par with mc3..

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Does GTA III work on 3GS?

Silverfist

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
Silicon Valley

You can get an iPhone 3Gs for FREE now, too, and I feel like a chump. Using it when it first came out. **** YOU APPLE

It's two bucks, it easily worth the full price regardless, and seriously -- what do you expect? It's the holiday season -- EVERYBODY is having a sale on iOS apps...

M7ck

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2010
Glasgow
I paid £2.99 for it the day it was released and have no regrets, it was a bargain at full price and both myself and my kids have had a weeks enjoyment of playing it.

Last edited:

ARandomFellow

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011

Hey, Brad.... nothing like buying something the day it comes out, being among the first to try it and then complaining about it when it goes on sale cuz you couldn't be patient and wait.

Last edited by a moderator:

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Are people really complaining about a price reduction from $5 to $3?

I mean, really? It's two bucks.

ARandomFellow

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
I find all these game companies just reinforcing the idea that you shouldn't buy a game at launch.

Recent examples:
Batman Arkham City (PC): $50 at launch, $25 on Steam yesterday
GTA III iOS: $6.99 at launch, $2.99 today
Battlefield 3: $59.99 at launch, $30 the other day

Luckily I only got burned $4 on the GTA launch.

Moral of the story: Wait 1-3 months after launch to buy and get twice as many games.

Wow, good on you for finally catching on to the way the world works! People who are early adopters, generally pay more for the privelege of being among the first to play with/use the newest things. I don't understand why people expect to have the newest thing AND then get upset that people who waited a little bit (especially around Christmas) get it on sale. Seriously. Stop whining about stupid stuff like this. Everyone already knows this happens on a regular basis. You made a choice to not wait for the sale price, now just shutup about it.

urbanj

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Well, yes, it is only $2, but it's still 40% off. However, it's not the money that bothers me, it's the principle. Dropping the price one month after the initial release is one thing, but 7 days? Give me a break.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

$2 is $2. I hate when this happens.

I always say this when someone says it's only a small amount when it comes to paying for something or someone owing you money.

"If it's only $20 (or any amount for that matter) give me my $20 back and then give me another $20 because you find it so trivial." :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.