Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
Silly rumors

I can't see the biggest tech company in the world pushing a product through for something as sappy as the former CEO's birthday. Really push a product to make the holiday shopping season or something like that? Sure. But getting it out on his birthday isn't going to increase sales much (might get some more press but the iPad 3 will get tons anyway).

Steve Jobs would scoff at the idea. He told me in a dream.

Agreed. Although I fully respected the man for his accomplishments, but setting a ship date for some sentimental reason is downright silly.

bignumbers

macrumors regular
May 9, 2002
Friday?

Feb 24 2012 is a Friday. No way they'll do a major announcement on a Friday. (News would get buried for the weekend. Apple usually announces Tuesdays for good reason. Fridays are when you announce bad news.)

Not to mention how uncharacteristically sappy this would be of Apple, even if Feb 24 was a better day of the week.

So, no.

jameskatt

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
I would LOVE a 17-inch iPAD.

Please apple.

Make a 17-inch ipad.

Magazines and newspapers would be fantastic on this.

Video would be mind blowing.

Games would be mind blowing.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]image[/url]

focustaiwan reports (via 9to5mac) that apple pushing its manufacturing partners to meet deadlines that would allow the company to launch the ipad on steve jobs' birthday, february 24th.according to the report, workers at several ipad component suppliers as well as manufacturing partner foxconn will have limited time off during the usual lunar new year holiday. The lunar new year holiday itself falls on january 23rd next year, with workers generally receiving a number of other days off from work around that date.

sources have been reporting a variety of rumored dates for an ipad 3 introduction, with some claiming a debut in the march-april timeframe while others have pointed to a february launch being in the works.

Apple last year launched new macbook pro models on jobs' birthday, although that unusual thursday introduction was likely a convenient coincidence driven by the debut taking place during the presidents day holiday week.

Article link: apple pushing to introduce ipad 3 on steve jobs' february 24th birthday?

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Please apple.

Make a 17-inch ipad.

Magazines and newspapers would be fantastic on this.

Video would be mind blowing.

Games would be mind blowing.

17-inch iPad?

The line would be really short considering you'd be the only person buying it.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
As long as the iPad 3 has a retina display and new chip, it's a Day 1 buy for me. Can't wait!

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
As long as the iPad 3 has a retina display and new chip, it's a Day 1 buy for me. Can't wait!

Right?! I'm sure it'll have a new processor and ram though. Also seems fit to upgrade the camera bit, at least the back facing one, and time for a storage upgrade.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
I would hope for a more incredibly amazing announcement. Something on the scale of the 20th anniversary mac. Or maybe an Appe II with a Sandy Bridge E in it with a high DPI monitor. But it MUST have a 5.25 drive.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
One aspect of the "Steve Jobs Era" that lives on, is the continuing ability to manipulate the press to Apple's advantage daily.

Always a new favorable rumor, claim, or other reports to keep the Apple Brand at the forefront.

No matter what the Apple spin machine never crashes or goes down. It "just works" 24/7 spitting out tasty morsels for the humans to feed on.

No wonder Apple has mind share. The public is peppered with Apple this or Apple that. A marketing effort no other entity could possibly match.

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
Tablet not ipad...

People have been saying they want a 15 to 27 inch iPad. This is a bad idea. What they want (I hope) is more of a touch screen/stylus iMac.

Hear me out. I love to draw, its fun on the iPhone but its far to small to do anything complicated/detailed. However if you had an pressure sensitive 15 inch screen that you could use photoshop on and then prop it up and watch a movie, that would be pretty cool but NOT an IPAD.

:apple::apple::apple:

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think we can all agree that, traditionally, is not how Apple does business.

I don't think there's anything to this rumor.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
The slave workers at foxconn will be delighted to hear they are allowed to skip their new year holiday to make another idiotic capitalist deadline...

The why I read it doesn't go like that. They days off will be "limited" around the holiday. The article states that usually workers take a bunch of days off around the new years, and that there will be fewer. This is standard business for a company that has deadlines. Even Apple tells story employees when they aren't allowed to take much, if any, vacation. And if it's just delaying those extra days off, the workers aren't MISSING any PTO, they just can't take it right then.

Maybe you are just upset because you don't get PTO, and are working today? :p

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
The slave workers at foxconn will be delighted to hear they are allowed to skip their new year holiday to make another idiotic capitalist deadline...

I amazes me as to how many people believe what they read. Hear an unfounded rumor that there may be iPads being made in February, and know that Steve's birthday is in February. Put them together and 'bingo', you have something that is sure to get posted on this site. Another 15 minutes of fame.

BTW, working during holidays is very common everywhere. Only government workers, students, and other children get off for the holiday. I'll be working 12 hours every day through New Years Eve to meet sales quotas for 2011. This happens every year across the country. Welcome to the real world.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Retina Display + Siri.

Sold.

Who are you kidding? Minor spec bumps and you'd buy. ;)

Don't forget open APIs for Siri. I bet developers could do some pretty beautiful and outlandishly cool things with double the resolution from a Retina Display and a voice controlled AI. Siri has already been hacked to do some clever things:

LINK

LINK

May finally upgrade from my first gen iPad.

Sadly, it will likely come too early for Qualcomm's energy efficient 4G solution to be included. Still, I'd rather have good battery life than 4G. I'm mainly on WIFI and find 3G speeds to be more than sufficient for driving navigation.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
But this is the same Apple that stopped doing Macworld keynotes because they didn't want to be tied to an arbitrary release date for their products.

MacWorld Keynotes were no longer cost effective. The date thing I'm sure was a factor, but it's far more cost effective using the internet, TV advertising, and hands-on demos in company owned stores.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I will probably upgrade for a retina display. Everything else could be the same as the iPad 2.

It would be slow as hell if they slapped a retina display on an iPad 2. The A5 would really struggle.

----------

Retina Display + Siri.

Sold.

Why Siri? Its a gimmick. It's kinda ok on an iPhone as its small, and if you use a headset you dont have to put your mouth up to the phone, but on an iPad....what the heck's the point in that?

I know they will put it on either way but its hardly a major selling point :rolleyes: The major selling point(s) would be Retina Display, A6 chip and with any luck a RAM upgrade to 1GB.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

Yes, another capitalist deadline...
So they can meet customer wants, needs, and expectations,
So they can turn a profit and grow the capitalist company,
So they can pay government taxes,
So the government can get money to pay their workers,
So government workers can manage and control what everyone else
does without having to fill wants, needs or expectations.

So, who are the idiotic ones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.