Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

williamgallas10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
I was in the SMS app and I realized that not all my messages sent or recieved had the display of the time the were sent or recieved on top of the bubble. I have no idea why.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
It should show those when you get edit. I can't fathom a reason why they chose not to include that info.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
It time-stamp's the conversations. If there is a pause between text messages, it will assume you started a new conversation, and give a time-stamp to it.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
It timestamps stuff roughly every 15 min or so, but not after every text unfortunately. Been this way since day 1.

Good enough for me to gauge when I text people or receive texts.

Is it really important when you start a conversation with someone and 20 texts are exchanged in a 5-10 min period that it's timestamped after each one? Apple doesn't think so.

andrewjh07

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
i have 3.0 installed on my phone and it does NOT timestamp each message. even through the edit option

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
It works just like iChat's time stamp. Except you have the option to display it for every message if you choose to.

Winkface

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2011
It timestamps stuff roughly every 15 min or so, but not after every text unfortunately. Been this way since day 1.

Good enough for me to gauge when I text people or receive texts.

Is it really important when you start a conversation with someone and 20 texts are exchanged in a 5-10 min period that it's timestamped after each one? Apple doesn't think so.

The thing is, why not? I've had more then a couple times
I had to know the exact time of a text.

I don't see why they would leave something out that literally every other phone has just because. Unless I'm missing something?

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Funny, I just noticed this the other day.

It doesn't bother me. I dont think it's necessary for me to know the exact minute I send every text message. I'd rather it be grouped in short "convos".

And holy old topic.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Reviving two year old threads isn't always the best idea.

The iPhone does keep detailed timestamps of its text messages in its SMS database. But it just doesn't display them to the user.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Funny, I just noticed this the other day.

It doesn't bother me. I dont think it's necessary for me to know the exact minute I send every text message. I'd rather it be grouped in short "convos".

And holy old topic.
Some people need that sort of thing, such as people who work.

ecwhite4S

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Some people need that sort of thing, such as people who work.

LOL, oh I dont work?

Try 2 jobs. I live in LA and I'm not FROM here, so yeah I work.

And please oh mighty one, explain why working has anything to do with having to know the exact minute you send a text, rather than knowing the time frame?

I'll be waiting for the answer..

And keep the drama for your real life. Just because I schooled you on the white vs black thread, doesn't mean you have to be sour. Seriously though how old are you? 18?

Last edited by a moderator:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have to agree there have been times when I needed the exact time of a text and I've been SOL.

I wish the option were there for the user to enable it as needed. :rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
LOL, oh I dont work?

And please oh mighty one, explain why working has anything to do with having to know the exact minute you send a text, rather than knowing the time frame?

And keep the drama for your real life. Just because I schooled you on the white vs black thread, doesn't mean you have to be sour. Seriously though how old are you? 18?

Way to draw a major inference from what he said when it was probably innocent :eek:

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
LOL, oh I dont work?

Knowing when you sent a text is critical in a lot of businesses. Plenty of people here can tell you that.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
LOL, oh I dont work?

wow, you sure you're not the one that's 18?

----------

I agree, I hope they fix this problem with the next update -

the problem is that it's not a "bug" so I doubt it will be fixed/changed at all. It's been this way since the original SMS app in iPhone OS 1.0. It shows the time updates in conversations in 15 min intervals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.