Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eldaria

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Sweden
I have a Griffin Firewave that I have been using for connecting a set of 5.1 speakers.

It has worked great for several years, but with Snow Leopard it started to make trouble, and lately it has become close to impossible to use it.
Sometimes not being detected and making corrupt sound.

I'm not sure if it is the device itself, or dated drivers. I was promised by the Griffin support over 3 years ago that they would soon release a new set of drivers to address some bugs that I found.
They still have not released any updates, so even if the device has in general worked great, I'm not going to replace it with the same just to find out that it is the drivers, and with Lion almost out, who says it will continue to work.

So I'm looking for a an alternative.

Is there a similar device out there, that can use standard 5.1 Computer spakers?
USB or Firewire does not really matter as I have both.
But using the 3-plug setup for connecting the speakers is a requirement.

The Firewave has the added bonus of also supporting Dolby Digital, and can be used as a AC3 digital to Analog converter with full surround, but my guess is that finding this will be difficult.

I know there is an Ocean of USB cards out there, what I'm looking for is your experience with this and using it on a Mac?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Must be your device mine works flawlessly on SL and always has never checked with Lion when I did test install the other day the lack of working mouse driver for my Logitech killed the deal for me.

ollebolle

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2004
What I would do, is to externalize the stereo to surround conversion and use your mac's digital optical out...
the teufel decoderstation 5 is something that perhaps will fit your needs...

i had the same with the m-audio sonica theatre usb, which stopped working fully after the switch to intel CPUs. My speaker set has an upscaling function , so I wasn't searching urgently... what I might do, is to look for a full receiver, that can handle my sources...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.