Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
someone once mentioned the idea of having the white square on the home button light up/glow as a notification setting. I thought that would have been kinda cool, especially for the iphone since it doesn't have a notification light other than the entire screen lighting up (i think you can also jailbreak it and make the flash go off for notifications too). Too bad this picture of the home button doesn't support that idea. :(

that would be AMAZING if they did that. or even if you could "mod" an LED under there. would be rather cool idea.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Y'know, to be fair, it's not like we really need the home button for anything on the iPad anymore; the five-finger multi-touch pinch gesture works just as well for going back to the home screen and the four finger swipe up works just as well for bringing up the multitasking menu

Tell that to my dad who has no left hand and only his thumb and two fingers on his right

csixty4

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Somerville, MA
Y'know, to be fair, it's not like we really need the home button for anything on the iPad anymore; the five-finger multi-touch pinch gesture works just as well for going back to the home screen and the four finger swipe up works just as well for bringing up the multitasking menu.

Well, I think charlituna takes the cake for the best counter-argument to this. But I have to turn the gestures off a couple times a week when I use an iPad with "Game for Cats" to work with shelter animals. When they're attacking the little mouse running up the screen, the pads on the bottoms of their paws look like four tiny fingers sliding up and the next thing I know there are kittens deleting my email.

So, I'm very grateful I can turn the touch gestures off temporarily and go back to the plain old home button.

I know there are people who let their infants & toddlers use their iPads, too, and their hands are just as tiny as paws and still able to make the multitasking gestures.

I just can't see the home button being completely replaced by gestures in their current state. There are always going to be cases where a hardware button is preferred to gestures, especially ones that require four or five usable fingers.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The home button is an object of comfort for many users...especially new users. They may not know anything about iOS but they know if they get in trouble they can press the home button to get out. It's not going away yet.

I agree. I think they will keep it for the near future because it gives tactile feedback and everyone will know what to do when they see it. However I think Apple will slowly encourage use of the gestures and somehow get rid of the home button altogether one day.

I've always felt the home button is very flat and not tactile in the iPad and many of them feel different. I really wonder how Steve felt about them.

But.. why do both those buttons have a flat edge on one side?

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
It would be nice to have no physical button but I understand the engineering aspect of having one. Overriding software with the physical button is the only reason there is one. No matter where you are or what you're doing pressing that button will interrupt the current operation. A software solution may not be the optimal method to override that. I believe all handset and tablet manufacturers have a physical home button of some sort.

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Theres an iPad 3 report that says that a new processor is gonna be powering the iPad 3. That processor is code named White Sugar. The Brown Sugar Processor is gonna come out in the iPad 4. The iPad 3 is already being sold in china as Apple is afraid of admitting. The iPad 4 is going to be released when Steve Woz is CEO of Apple. :p

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
i bought one of the rimm 7" playbooks for onsale $199...and even though rimm doesn't have a hope in heck of ever out marketing apple ipad...the no home button and simple swipes up and down is soooo much nicer then apples home button...

i played with my brothers in laws ipad 2 over xmas and keep thinking to myself that it seemed so outdated...

will apple sell a zillion ipad 3=yes will rimm probably go belly up=yes but thats not gonna change my mind in how much nicer the whole no home button interface is on the playbook

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
someone once mentioned the idea of having the white square on the home button light up/glow as a notification setting. I thought that would have been kinda cool, especially for the iphone since it doesn't have a notification light other than the entire screen lighting up (i think you can also jailbreak it and make the flash go off for notifications too). Too bad this picture of the home button doesn't support that idea. :(

iOS already supports using the flash for notifications without jail breaking. It's an option under settings->accessibility.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Even with the gestures, I find myself pressing the home button a lot. Glad to know they will hopefully keep it around

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i hate the button, it always stops working properly on my iDevices, first on my iPhone 3G followed by my iPod Touch and now the iPhone 4. just waiting for it to happen on my iPad 2

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
i hate the button, it always stops working properly on my iDevices, first on my iPhone 3G followed by my iPod Touch and now the iPhone 4. just waiting for it to happen on my iPad 2

What do you do to your devices?! I've owned two different iPod Touch models, the iPhone 3G, original iPad and iPhone 4 and none have ever had any home button issues.

mattlol

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
wow, this site really is desperate enough to publish anything. what a joke of an article.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I hate these home buttons. Especially with iPhones, after a year or so your bound to notice a decrease in responsiveness. I'm very careful with my devices and I make sure they don't get so much as a scratch on them, but when you press the home button you can tell it's not brand new. There's nothing you can do about that and I hate it.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Not to be rude, but is this really that important? I mean, they look identical! I hardly see any difference! I doubt the iPad is going to change much. A higher-res screen and maybe some minor visual changes, with all the biggies under the hood. Just my 2 cents. It's MacRumors News and Rumors you care about. Is it really that big a deal if the iP3 has a pretty much identical home button? Not something to really care about.

Let the minuses fly in:)

Really, who cares? Button, shmutton!

But, I did hear a rumor that Apple will be calling this the E.T. button in the next release and they have already filed for a trademark.

With the seemingly hightened importance of the way these buttons are shaped and being reported about, Android will also implement this change and call it the "Homecoming button"

Samsung has already filed a patent suit about the fact that they own a patent using technology that lets the button spring back up after being pressed.

Home buttons cannot be used in Australia!

In other news we care about...............................

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Now that's a button. Nobody can innovate and create a button like that except Apple.

Sony should sue. They have a patent on the following shapes and forms. Apple is blatantly copying.

PS-buttons-feature.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.