Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greg555

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2005
Canada
I didn't know anyone bought sub-40" TVs any more except for bargain hunters (and people buying a kitchen or bedroom TV).

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Digitimes has a poor track record. (Traditional) TV in these small sizes don't make sense.

However, as we all know, Apple sells a 27'' Thunderbolt display. These could be larger TB displays, so Apple will have a complete lineup: 27'' - 32'' - 37''. Apple TV functionality could be built into these TB displays, since Apple "hockey puck" TV internals are cheap and small to produce.

So basically very large monitors with TV capability ?

Would also make sense if Apple decides to double the monitor resolutions in the near future.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Sounds like this will be the Dorm room TV more than anything, or a bedroom TV. With 55" inch TVs under $1,000 these days I'd be surprised if Apple tops out at 37" (especially if the price is over $1,000) and calls it their play for the living room. It would be a fine play in 2003 or 2004 maybe, but not 2012.

I would opt for the separate box I guess, and hook it up to my big screen.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Too small for a living room set really - though they are much more suited for the 'personal quarters' machines.

Theres a degree of logic in that. Living room sets not infrequently tend to be intertwined with a rather large amount of devices, in addition to being used by multiple persons. Apple don't have a record of being good at handling either cases.

However in the 'personal quarters' - theres rarely more than just a TV, and generally not more than one user. And at best - theres a single secondary box, generally video game console, and possibly several personal devices (see wifi connect). Internal ecosystem application would work fairly well there.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Good start. I doubt apple could make a 50 inch television affordable :)

Nonsense. A 55" Samsung LED LCD TV is $1600. Assuming Apple's 40% margin, add 35% to that retail price and you have a $2100 TV. Not inexpensive but not overwhelmingly unaffordable either if Apple adds value over the usability and functionality now available in higher end TVs. Remember the first iPod was $500, and the first iPhone was $400-500, depending on model, so their is history here.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Apple's keeping the display size down to avoid sticker shock. Who knows, Apple may use the 32 inch screen for the next round of iMacs.

Jumperman

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
I think that if this rumor is valid then the Apple TV that they are going to produce will be an iteration of the iMac. They currently sell 21.5" and 27" iMacs and 32" and 37" seem like a very simple screen size increase.

Apple is very willing to use a form factor/product that is already successful (think iPhone 4S).

They should be able to drop the price for these "iScreens"/"iDisplays" by dropping a lot of the high end computing hardware currently in the iMac. The processor and ram could be replaced by much lower tier hardware.

I think that if Apple is really only going to make 32" and 37" screens (this seems unlikely to me) then these sizes would be increased again during the next iteration.

Apple already has a remote control that most of us already have for these screens, our iPhone's, iPad's, and iTouch's. Although Siri is only on the 4S, it is clear that it could be ported to the 4 and probably other models. This will likely be done when Apple decides to brand Siri as no longer a Beta product. For those that do not have an iPhone or iTouch Apple will need to either bundle a remote or microphone. Maybe these will be sold separately to drop the price for everyone that already have a phone. I think that even remote control features could be integrated into Mac laptops.

By the time that this product is introduced there will be an iPad 3 and likely an iPhone 5 too...

hh83917

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2005
If it's 32" and 37" Apple television, then it's probably meant for bedroom/study type personal use. I'm assuming for Siri to work, one has to be close enough for the microphone to pickup commands. So they will maybe have directional microphones built-in to these smaller screens.

If that's the case, then Apple will probably be coming out with a new AppleTV box that have a microphone on the remote or something like an App for idevices so one can utilize their much larger living room TV set. :rolleyes:

RWinOR

macrumors 6502
I didn't know anyone bought sub-40" TVs any more except for bargain hunters (and people buying a kitchen or bedroom TV).

This is true, but the average home will have more sub-40's than large screens. I do not know about your home, but my bedrooms and kitchen outnumber the living room. in other words, 4 bedrooms, and a kitchen (5) is a greater number then one (1) Living room, Even if I had a Living room and family room that is still 2 to 5.

Don't be fooled there are way more sub 40's sold than you can imagine.

emoore

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
I seem to remember one of the apple tv rumors was that they were going to start out with tv's for bedrooms/dens and then move to larger tv's. I'm looking for a 32" for my living room and this would be perfect.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008

A tiny Apple Television at a big price won't be much of a bargain but I might be tempted to try out one in the kitchen.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
HarryKeogh circa 1993 says "37 inches? That's huge! It's going to be like having a movie theater in your living room!"

HarryKeogh circa 2011 says "37? I might as well watch videos on my iPhone with a screen that small"

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
These rumors don't add up yet. Apple does not enter a market unless they can make it far better. Clearly "big screen" has been what people have been seeking. 32-inch and 37-inch are no longer considered "big screen". I currently have a 36-inch from Sony that feels very small in my family room. I have been looking to upgrade to a 50-inch for quite some time now but have been delaying due to cost and not finding the TV that I thought provided a great picture for a good price. I'm not looking for fancy features in my next TV like built-in internet apps so I can tweet or do Facebook. I'm not looking for 3D with or without glasses. I'm basically looking for a very large monitor with a great bright picture and fantastic viewing angles. I know that 99% of the time, the TV will be attached to Dish Network, Apple TV, Wii or my DVD player and will be used to simply show whatever those devices are sending on their outputs.

While I don't see Apple trying to compete in the TV market on specs (like screen size), I can't see them crippling themselves by offering 32-inch and 37-inch screen sizes since "big screen" is one of the major driving factors in television purchases. I would expect Apple to have a screen size in the 40-50 inch range and one in the 50-60 inch range. Maybe one in the 30-40 inch range would make sense too. That would make sense..... three models, three sizes, otherwise identical. I don't see Apple trying to make a 60-80 inch television to show off how big a screen they can make -- that's not their style.

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
1. I agree with the doubters - it seams like a bad path to go - to try to compete with players that has +100 sets on their list.

2a. But - on the other hand. Look at a player like Bang & Olufsen. They have a limited amount of tv-sets. And - they cost A LOT. I would say that Apple - with their design and eminent UX could make a quite big dent in the upper segment.

2b. Based on that notion - it still seams very strange to release a 32" TV when TVs of today start on 40/42". If they release a range of 42", 46" and 52". Then they might actually target a quite big portion and not the least with their margins earn a lot of money. Then they can simply upgrade the panels the way they do with cinema displays?

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I usually fall hook-line-and-sinker on Apple related rumors but I'm calling BS on this one.

First off, there is no way in he** I'd buy anything less than 46" and even that would be a step down from my current 55" LED.

More importantly, I don't see Apple getting caught up in the display component of the TV market. Just doesn't make sense. Let Sony, Samsung, LG and the others make the displays. Makes a helluva lot more sense for them to make ATV a more robust iOS equipped device that you hook up to said displays.

...and this is coming from a guy who owns just about everything Apple makes and who has permanently discolored Koolaid stains on the lips!

SirChadwick

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
I would like to hear more on the viewing content and interface.

A change to inexpensive a la carte viewing of programs will be the feature that will allow the door of my house to be "cracked" open for bringing in an Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.