Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsdotscot

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Scotland
Something happening once does not a trend set.

Redesign is likely, where they'll take it I'm not so sure. I'm sure they know what they're doing though.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I think it would be cool if they made the whole phone out of rubber. If you dropped it, it would bounce right back up so you could catch it. No need to bend over to pick it up.

safe4mx

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. 4S has been out for less then 3 months and the rumor mill is in full swing...

Celf

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
lol BGR, they should be blacklisted for the amount of times they've been incorrect.

When "incorrect" is a criterium on MacRumors to get blacklisted it will become quiet...very quiet over here ;)

ma5ter5

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Outside
let's try logic

given apple's design tendencies, this (and many rumors) are so stupid.

how has apple trended from initial iPhone to 4S? thinner, sleeker, easier to hold, etc.

i doubt they will make the antenna internal again (and thus bulkier), so kiss an all metal back goodbye. i doubt they'll incorporate any rubber protection into the device (destroying the aesthetic quality of the device), so plan on utilizing your aftermarket cases. and they will not be increasing screen size (too hard to maintain the platform for developers, and fragment yourself like android does).

how many times has apple reverted a design to something previous they have produced?

fupresti

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
My only thoughts are all of the iPhone 4 users who purchased when it came out in June 2010. They will be eligible for an upgrade for 4 months before a supposed iPhone 5 comes out. Now, I know the Apple faithful will hold firm, but a smart Android manufacturer will release a Tier 1 device on AT&T and Verizon in June to sway some who simply won't wait til October to upgrade.

jetplanesky

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
Holding out for the 5 after my glass back broken 4

Hundreds of millions of iPhone 4/4S say your conventional thinking is wrong. I have had both and no shattered phones yet. And if/when it does finally happen, I'll replace the glass, no biggie.

For all of your good fortune I went from new iPhone 4 to broken glass back iPhone 4 within 3 hours. The lack of durability is a failure of Jonathan Ive's design, as beautiful as it is. And the "live" antenna frame -- even with the free bumpers -- was yet another design failure along with the techies. Surprising to me that both made it into production and think how long it's taken to finally get the antenna right.

I don't like the idea of buying a beautiful phone only to have to figure out which designy "condom" I have to carry it around in. Make as durable as it needs to be to use, not just to unwrap and rewrap in a case of your choosing. Make it so good that the case makers go out of business please!

I'm holding out for the 5 (though 10 megapixels is tempting . . . and SIRI is not).

uplate

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2011
I think it would be cool if they made the whole phone out of rubber. If you dropped it, it would bounce right back up so you could catch it. No need to bend over to pick it up.
oooo! that gives me an idea. a 'smart glove' with magnets that the phone can snap to. iphone ninja!

trevolly

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
I don't really care what its going to be made of. I'd rather see some internal hardware improvements tbh.

2012, I'll be looking long and hard at what everyone else is offering instead of just grabbing an iPhone.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Aluminum is a horrible choice for a phone. It scratches like anything when naked in a pocket and simply looks worse over time. Even the glass doesn't do that. I wonder why some here are fawning over it when they know they'll just be buying a case to cover it up anyway (you can't use bumpers on a curved back panel, so it would have to be a full case). I think bumpers are the ideal solution to retaining the current design, but obviously it is time for a redesign.

And a rubber bezel? They better be doing something thin and barely noticeable, like what is on the MacBook Pro and iPod Touch, otherwise it sounds hideous. I'd say a strengthened curved glass "unibody" design would be the way to go (with the thin rubber, color matched strip around edge that the current iPod Touch uses). No metal framing. It would be an impressive feat and Apple would continue to stand out from the pack. Aluminum is yesterday. It's run its course. Time to innovate.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
This phone needs to come out this summer and needs to have a larger screen. I don't care much else from there. Everything at Apple seems in slow motion lately.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Quoting BGR ftl. Their track record is sad at best. Can't we at least let the 4S be out for a full quarter of a year before predicting the next iPhone?

Heck the 4s wasn't even out before folks were predicting that the alleged 5 was actually the test model for the 2012 phone.

And then there was the whole "iPad 2 Pro is really the iPad 3" rumors that started weeks before the iPad 2 was announced.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I have two lines/two phones. I upgraded the 4S on one, and purposely held off upgrading the other for the 5. This way, every year, I can upgrade one or the other. So, I'm in no rush, summer or fall, I have time to bond with the 4S.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
LOL! I hope thats sarcasm. You know Apple isn't coming to come out with a phone in October 2011, then turn around in June 2012 and release another one.

Early 2012 - iPad
Summer 2012 - iTV / Macbooks
Fall 2012 - iPhone

The 4S, although yes it sold well, was really a very boring update, no? Seemed more like a stopgap until 5 was ready. Same as 3GS. A big snooze fest all around. We have grown to expect a bit more "wow" factor from Apple than this. Hope they don't let us down this time.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Hundreds of millions of iPhone 4/4S
Hundreds? The iPhone 4+4s hasn't even broken 100m sales yet - and the total iPhone sales still don't total the sales of the Nintendo DS. Lets keep the numbers realistic.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Lets hope Apple published the beta in March/April so that they get back on time for WWDC release.

WWDC is a developers conference which makes it the most logical time to announced iOS 6 and release the beta. Which is likely why they did it that way (more or less) this year and why it will likely be the form for years to come.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.