Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noschvt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
The home button on my launch day iPhone 4 has started to act a bit odd lately. It will not always recognize the button being pressed or will take a single press as a double. Since I have AppleCare I called them up today to get a replacement phone. The gentleman on the phone told me that since it is more than likely a wear issue, AppleCare doesn't cover it and it would be $149 to have it repaired. Has anyone else had this issue with their iPhone 4 and had luck getting it replaced? My dealings in the past with Apple on my previous phone had been great and this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
The home button on my launch day iPhone 4 has started to act a bit odd lately. It will not always recognize the button being pressed or will take a single press as a double. Since I have AppleCare I called them up today to get a replacement phone. The gentleman on the phone told me that since it is more than likely a wear issue, AppleCare doesn't cover it and it would be $149 to have it repaired. Has anyone else had this issue with their iPhone 4 and had luck getting it replaced? My dealings in the past with Apple on my previous phone had been great and this leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Just went to the apple store yesterday for the same exact issue and was told the same exact thing. I decided not to buy a new phone.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Put one small drop of alcohol on the button so it goes in the sides. Work the button. This will cure it.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Really Rocko? Did you try that?
I have the exact same problem as well. Don't have apple care, but told the same thing at my local Apple Store. The genius actually suggested that I just wait as long as I can before buying a new one, so he wasn't just pushing me spend money.
Anybody else tried this "alcohol on the home button" trick?

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
I just had the same issues on Xmas day with my year old 4. I thought it was hardware for sure but a clean restore as a new phone has had it running great since.

iLaughingSaint

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
Poipu Kauai
Home button

Yes I've returned two 4th gen devices for this problem. Do the same. One fix you can try is recalibrating home button by opening a native app like weather or stocks then hold down off button until slider appears then hold down home button until app quits which will help for awhile but eventually home button will stop working. Return for replacement ASAP

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
WOW, Im glad I never pay for AppleCare. All that extra money to then find out that they wont repair the home button.

Thai4s

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

It IS a hardware problem if it's over a year old and you have to press it really hard for it to function.

Here in Thailand they changed me $50 to replace it, yet in the process they broke the phone.

I'd rather pay $150 for the authorized people to do it. It is a royal pain in the ass to replace it. The part is really cheap so I think it's mostly all labor.

And yes. The iPhone 4 home button DOES wear after a year of use. Once replaced it's smooth as silk.

Same issue with the BB ball.

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Did the clean/restore thing, actually the genius did it, and still the same problem. Hope it will hold out until the 5 comes out.

Thai4s

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

iamartimus said:
Did the clean/restore thing, actually the genius did it, and still the same problem. Hope it will hold out until the 5 comes out.

Restore isn't going to work.

It isn't going to get better. I would replace it. It will make your life really difficult. Trust me. It was driving me nuts.

If you do let them replace it, show them that BOTH your cameras are working. When they give it back to you, test the cameras. BOTH of them.

My 4s is 3 days old and I'm already planning my home button repair trip for next year. I already asked where to take it at the provider.

I have to make a trip into Bangkok and leave it at AIS Siam Paragorn. I'm looking for an adapter for the micro sim so I can use an old Nokia I have while they repair my phone.

I'll put up with it. I will NOT buy iPhone 5 because they hold the good releases for the "S" releases.

Judging by how much more superior the 4s is vs the 4, I'm going for a 5s if I
stay with iPhone. Just know a Home Button repair will be necessary.

Then again, there are people still holding on to their iPhone 3G and never had a problem with the button. So it maybe it'll be better with the 4s. Who knows. But I'm ready. As soon as it starts happening, off I go.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Go to any stock iOS app

Hold the power button until the slide to power off comes

Let go of the power button and hold the home button until the slide to power off comes off

Fstmonte2002

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
WOW, Im glad I never pay for AppleCare. All that extra money to then find out that they wont repair the home button.

Simply not true. I just received a new i4 last week for strictly a buggy home button with apple care.. In fact this my 3rd or 4th one since launch day, all with home button issues, all replaced with nearly no questions asked.. :apple:

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
The week after Thanksgiving, I noticed my home button was sticky, like something had been spilled in it. I walked into my Apple store and told them exactly that. They checked for liquid damage, laid my phone aside and said they would give me a brand new one on good faith. My original was 6 months old. I advise you take it into the genius bar!

Along the same line, my boyfriend took his Shuffle into the Apple store when it no longer worked. The guy at the genius bar asked when it stopped working. His reply: Somewhere between the rinse and the spin cycle. The Apple employee gave him a brand new one for his honesty.

I absolutely adore Apple customer service.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I will NOT buy iPhone 5 because they hold the good releases for the "S" releases.

I used to think the same thing. Now I'm not sure. My iPhone 4S has the same home button issue the iPhone 4's I had did. While under warranty Apple replaced them. Each had finally stopped working which bricks the phone. I had three fail in one year.

I know Apple clings to the old style mechanical button cause their nostalgic like that.

But it would be nice if they'd use a contemporary touch sensitive button. The ones on my Samsung Android phones are very long lasting and very nice to use.

Perhaps in a year or two.

Thai4s

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2011
I used to think the same thing. Now I'm not sure. My iPhone 4S has the same home button issue the iPhone 4's I had did. While under warranty Apple replaced them. Each had finally stopped working which bricks the phone. I had three fail in one year.

I know Apple clings to the old style mechanical button cause their nostalgic like that.

But it would be nice if they'd use a contemporary touch sensitive button. The ones on my Samsung Android phones are very long lasting and very nice to use.

Perhaps in a year or two.

How long did it take for the 4S to have a button problem?

Gavernty

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
There are companies that will fix this problem for you for around 40 dollars or so, when my home button started to act up apple wouldn't acknowledge a problem so I sent it to iresq and they fixed it completely

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California

You could turn on assistive touch in settings and use the software home button until you're ready to replace or repair the phone.

punisher1-1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Try recalibrating the home button. I just found out about this yesterday and tried it on my moms 4,which was having home button problems like not responding when pushing it from the bottom left corner, and afterwards the home button was like brand new.
Just go to a stock apple app like stocks or weather. Hold the top lock button till power off screen appears. Let go of the top button and hold the home button until the app disappears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujErKjh85o

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010

punisher1-1 said:
Try recalibrating the home button. I just found out about this yesterday and tried it on my moms 4,which was having home button problems like not responding when pushing it from the bottom left corner, and afterwards the home button was like brand new.
Just go to a stock apple app like stocks or weather. Hold the top lock button till power off screen appears. Let go of the top button and hold the home button until the app disappears.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cujErKjh85o

I tried that and it didn't help. Thanks got tip tho!

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Jailbreak your iphone and install Zephyr. Just did it today and its simply the best thing to happen to iOS in years!!

Ipad multitasking gestures on iphone which work excellent and very very smoothly.

I dont use the home button anymore. Plus install Activator too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.