Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

komoornik

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Hello my dear friends!

Let me just start with the fact, I'm a long time Windows user and I'm kinf of the OS X newbie.

I've bought the Nokia AD-73 USB to LAN Adapter coz it was cheap. It's a common AX88772 chip, which is also used in Apple USB Ethernet adapter. The thing is, I can't install it - I must say it's working perfectly on Windows 7.

I've found this:
http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

"If your device does not appear to be recognized by the driver, you might have to add it to the Info.plist file, which is located inside the USBPegasusEthernet.kext or USBAx8817x.kext directory. You can use the System Profiler or USBProber tool to find the corresponding Product ID and Vendor ID."

So I've edited the file - copied one of the entries and changed the Product and Vendor ID. The thing is I think they're in string and they need to be integer. I've tried using both integer and string prefix but it's not working.

Any ideas?

I'm uploading the file, so you can see how I've edited it - I've only changed the file extension to .txt so I could upload it here.

Attachments

• Info.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 849

casthle

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Got it working

komoornik - you were quite close to a solution and your initial findings helped me in the right direction.
I installed the Snow Leopard (AX8817x USB 2.0) driver from the link you provided http://www.sustworks.com/site/news_usb_ethernet.html

2 things you had to change:
1) The numbers you get from USB Prober are hex values and you have to convert them to decimal
2) the <key> entry has to read exactly: USB to LAN
(same name you can see in USB Prober)

So I added this entry among the others like you did in info.plist under /System/Library/Extensions/USBAx8817x.kext/Contents:

<key>USB to LAN</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.dsumorok.driver.USBAx8817x</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>USBAx88772</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>30506</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>1057</integer>
</dict>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.