Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I purchased a new battery for my 2009 Macbook Pro Unibody.
Going to replace it tomorrow.

Before I do however, I'd like to know how to charge it the first time.
Should I:
Install it, turn on the device, let the battery die fully, then recharge it fully and let it die again?

Or perhaps I should install it, charge it fully, let it die entirely and charge it up again?

Or something else? Does it even matter?

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
I purchased a new battery for my 2009 Macbook Pro Unibody.
Going to replace it tomorrow.

Before I do however, I'd like to know how to charge it the first time.
Should I:
Install it, turn on the device, let the battery die fully, then recharge it fully and let it die again?

Or perhaps I should install it, charge it fully, let it die entirely and charge it up again?

Or something else? Does it even matter?

Go with the same as the advice here.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How Do I Properly Care for a New Macbook Pro Battery?
Plug it in and let it charge while you use it. That's it. No need to fully discharge and recharge. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can, as long as you're not running with it plugged in all the time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

Go with the same as the advice here.
No, don't. That's not proper care for a Mac notebook battery.

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
@GGstudios I guess I assumed that if he bought a third-party iPhone battery from some supplier, the MBP battery came from the same place and not Apple. If it's an Apple battery, then yes, go with whatever directions come with it.

I've always been one to "stretch the legs" of a new lithium battery in order to run the gamut of voltages at least once.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
@GGstudios I guess I assumed that if he bought a third-party iPhone battery from some supplier, the MBP battery came from the same place and not Apple. If it's an Apple battery, then yes, go with whatever directions come with it.

I've always been one to "stretch the legs" of a new lithium battery in order to run the gamut of voltages at least once.
iPhone batteries and Mac notebook batteries are two different animals, and not to be treated the same way. The Battery FAQ I posted will tell you all you need to know about Apple notebook battery care. Also, I would never trust or recommend a notebook battery that didn't come from Apple.

Senex

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Northern Indiana, USA
iPhone batteries and Mac notebook batteries are two different animals, and not to be treated the same way. The Battery FAQ I posted will tell you all you need to know about Apple notebook battery care. Also, I would never trust or recommend a notebook battery that didn't come from Apple.

Well, neither would I ...but there's a sucker born every minute, and no shortage of absolute crap out there for the naive buyer. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.