Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Currently have an iP4 running iOS 4.1 BB 01.59.00.

Torn between updating to 5.0.1 and troubleshooting the iBooks, single signal bar, MMS, and VV issues

or

Selling the thing on eBay and just purchasing a Factory Unlocked iP4S in the hopes that a jailbreak will eventually come out for it.

Thoughts much appreciated.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you depend on the unlock, sell the phone and buy an unlocked 4S. A jailbreak will come out - it's just a matter of time. Probably a couple weeks at this point

noiceT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Catalina Wine Mixer
Keep the 4, and just wait until all the 5.0.1 issues are ironed out, if its such a worry for you. Dev team flips out updates to redsn0w pretty fast to address issues on a new jb.

After 5 min of playing with your new 4s, you'll wish you had a JB. I was dying in the mere hours when cydia was bogged down and had to play with only stock iOS 5:eek:

Davvido

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
Poland
I think I would rather buy a factory unlocked iPhone. Having it unjailbroken is the disadvantage actually, but think about the comfort of always being able to update, downgrade, try betas etc. When the jailbreak comes out, you can only care about the tool to jailbreak your iPhone - no baseband preserving, no ultrasn0w, no geveys etc. This is the convenience every user should have. :)

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
If I were you and happy with iP4 i would just keep the iP4 and update it.

I'm happy with iOS 4.1, but would like to have some of the new features -- not to mention that some of the apps now require 4.2 and higher. It's the issues I listed above that I'm not happy to workaround.

If you depend on the unlock, sell the phone and buy an unlocked 4S. A jailbreak will come out - it's just a matter of time. Probably a couple weeks at this point

I don't depend on the unlock, but it does come in handy when I'm out of the country. Yes, the rational for getting a factory hardware unlock removes the stress of utilizing software.

Keep the 4, and just wait until all the 5.0.1 issues are ironed out, if its such a worry for you. Dev team flips out updates to redsn0w pretty fast to address issues on a new jb.

After 5 min of playing with your new 4s, you'll wish you had a JB. I was dying in the mere hours when cydia was bogged down and had to play with only stock iOS 5:eek:

Problem is, those "issues" are not likely to be "ironed out" as they are tied to the BB and haven't been addressed since the 4.2 jailbreak.

I think I would rather buy a factory unlocked iPhone. Having it unjailbroken is the disadvantage actually, but think about the comfort of always being able to update, downgrade, try betas etc. When the jailbreak comes out, you can only care about the tool to jailbreak your iPhone - no baseband preserving, no ultrasn0w, no geveys etc. This is the convenience every user should have. :)

The updating never really bothered me. Getting to iOS 5.x.x is a "nice-to-have." Trying betas never appealed to me.

Aside from unlocking, is there any other reason to preserve the BB?

Many Thanks!

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Aside from unlocking, is there any other reason to preserve the BB?

Not really. Hackers might have limited use for preserving BB, because they may be able to use a known vulnerability to look for others... but if you don't plan on developing any baseband hacks yourself and have a factory unlocked devices, there's no reason to preserve it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I would keep the unlockable bb and dont waste it even if you dont need it.
It brings value to the phone and will make it sell faster and easier. Kinda like buying a factory unlocked iphone 4 but cheaper.
If you want make a custom 5.0.1 and update to that to check it out. You'll enjoy it.
Then when a JB for the 4S comes out sell the i4 and get a factory unlocked 4S. Or up to you.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
It brings value to the phone and will make it sell faster and easier. Kinda like buying a factory unlocked iphone 4 but cheaper.
If you want make a custom 5.0.1 and update to that to check it out. You'll enjoy it.
Then when a JB for the 4S comes out sell the i4 and get a factory unlocked 4S. Or up to you.

So if I stay with the iP4, is the best way to get around the MMS and VV issues to just suffer through the single signal bar?

Thanks, AJ!

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
That's what I'm pretty much doing. When I install ultrasnow for when I go on vacation, it won't be a huge loss to not have vvm or mms temporarily. Somewhere in this sub-forum, there's a thread about some of the solutions to the ibooks problem. I was able to get it operational for my devices using a following poster's advice, but that solution may not work for you.
So if I stay with the iP4, is the best way to get around the MMS and VV issues to just suffer through the single signal bar?

Thanks, AJ!

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

HUGE AL said:

Thanks, AJ!

You could always do the Field Test trick and switch from signal bars to -dB numbers. Then you'd know the true strength of signal.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

I assumed he was asking from the perspective of possibly buying a factory unlocked device - in which case there isn't much use for preserving the baseband unless you want to tinker with running custom code on the baseband processor

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I assumed he was asking from the perspective of possibly buying a factory unlocked device - in which case there isn't much use for preserving the baseband unless you want to tinker with running custom code on the baseband processor

No, I dont think he has a factory unlocked i4 with bb 01.59.00
Saving the ultrasnow bb for the average user on a factory unlocked iphone would be pointless.
I agree.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Nice:)
How you like the 4S?

The speed is very nice. Only tested out the camera a bit, but looks good...a little sensitive on stabilization (I'll have to turn on the feature in Camera+)...but good.

As with all new phones (set up as new ;)), I've only installed SBSettings in order to gauge conflicts/battery drain. Even with only one app installed, I have noticed minor things:

• Powering on and off appear to take a bit longer.
  • When powering on, it takes a while to find the mobile network.
  • I understand that this is a dual processor, but battery drain is noticeably faster.
  • SBSettings takes a bit of playing with to get it to work "correctly."
  • In seeing the recent thread regarding UAFaker, I just found out it's not working. :(

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
The speed is very nice. Only tested out the camera a bit, but looks good...a little sensitive on stabilization (I'll have to turn on the feature in Camera+)...but good.

As with all new phones (set up as new ;)), I've only installed SBSettings in order to gauge conflicts/battery drain. Even with only one app installed, I have noticed minor things:

• Powering on and off appear to take a bit longer.
  • When powering on, it takes a while to find the mobile network.
  • I understand that this is a dual processor, but battery drain is noticeably faster.
  • SBSettings takes a bit of playing with to get it to work "correctly."
  • In seeing the recent thread regarding UAFaker, I just found out it's not working. :(

Powering on will take longer than a stock phone cause it has to run additional processes for the JB.
About finding the network its a 4S thing. Even stock it acts the same. They all do the same, mine takes 10-20 seconds where all my other iphones before like 3GS and iphone 4 will lock in servicing within 1-2 seconds.
I notice the battery going down faster than my previous i4 but not that bad.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Powering on will take longer than a stock phone cause it has to run additional processes for the JB.

Ahhh...is it because this exploit is so different from the previous ones?

About finding the network its a 4S thing. Even stock it acts the same. They all do the same, mine takes 10-20 seconds where all my other iphones before like 3GS and iphone 4 will lock in servicing within 1-2 seconds.

Good to know as I never tried the phone as stock. :)

I notice the battery going down faster than my previous i4 but not that bad.

Agreed.

If you only have the apps you listed in another thread, I think we're quite similar. Hate bogging down my phone with stuff I don't need or only use sparingly. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.