Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:30 PM   #26
jim.bright17
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms13 View Post
My sales numbers for my app Shuffle+ doubled, from an average of 1 unit a day to 2 units on Christmas. Damn you TapTapTap.
Well i checked it out, and after seeing that Mumford and Sons "The Cave" was one of the songs i couldn't help but buy it. Very cool app
Old Dec 29, 2011, 05:24 PM   #27
mmcc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanta View Post
Honestly what this really shows is that the developers that are highly favored by Apple are seeing major upticks over Christmas day while the rest of the dev world only sees small gains.

[...]

Most of us saw sales increases (we saw about 500%) of course which is great, but this goes without saying as people are looking to buy. I really think Apple in the end needs to work on discovery within the App Store. Too many good apps, games, and developers are not finding their way to the surface.
I completely agree. The App Store design favors the top apps. It is difficult to get any visibility for the vast majority of apps as the App Store continues to fill with titles. The layout and search functions of the store are too limited for the number of titles.

The only thing I've seen that is worse is the new Windows 8 app store concept. The tiled presentation is absolutely horrid for a "Start" menu and it is even worse for a storefront.
mmcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 06:02 PM   #28
Vizin
macrumors 6502a

Last edited by Vizin; Feb 28, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
Vizin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 07:44 PM   #29
CraigStanton
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredly View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Shuffle+, make it 4. This is a great app and I never would have even guessed that it exsisted.

To macrumors:
Would you guys consider making a page where small app developers could post their apps. There are so many apps out there and i think it would be cool to see what people from our forum are creating.
Trouble is then you'd have loads of people signing up to list their apps and then they'd get lost in that pile too.

For what it's worth sales of my TiledMaps doubled from Christmas Day to Boxing Day, and made $3 total.
CraigStanton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:29 PM   #30
bobsentell
macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who is still irked by Apple taking almost a third of someone else's work? Even the government doesn't take that much on the first dollar and eBay only takes 10% for hosting a product to sell.
bobsentell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:22 AM   #31
Clubber
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
Am I the only one who is still irked by Apple taking almost a third of someone else's work? Even the government doesn't take that much on the first dollar and eBay only takes 10% for hosting a product to sell.
Probably not. I'm realistic though, they provide an international point of sale, good SEO for your page, decent and timely reports, and a hell of a lot of bandwidth. All these things I don't have to spend time on, so I can just work on apps. They also provide the framework (API) and created the ecosystem itself before anyone else did. (I think). Would I be happier if it were less? Sure.

Regarding visibility, I'd like to see them expand on the "people who viewed this app also bought..." and possibly an AppGenius like their Genius for iTunes songs.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:25 AM   #32
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyestar View Post
in other news today, rain is wet.
lies, lies all of them>
MorphingDragon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:09 AM   #33
foiden
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
Actually, I'm not. The way they did it is also sort of a win-win situation. It's a heck of a lot better than many other avenues already in place for quite some time. That is, if you have anybody else publish your work. For many, (especially retail) the take is significantly larger, giving the devs less of the cut, and what's worse is that they actually risk loss a lot easier. They have to sell a significant amount more to break even.

So interestingly enough, the App store is probably one of the most painless ways of distributing your software through another host as you don't pay a cent to cover unsold games. Outside of your own internal payments, there's no significant upfront cost to you. Sure, there's the developer's fee, but it is definitely well affordable to even the most meek developer trying to break into the industry. Now try doing that for Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and their handheld markets. The only way of doing it cheaper is if you do all your own publishing, distribution, marketing, and that's after you made the product. The marketing alone, just to even App Store standards, can cost you a pretty penny before you even sold your first game. You need to put it on sites with high viewers.

People may try Facebook and Twitter, but people don't just generally or randomly search through those to find games. They aren't exactly friendly to that kind of searching. Youtube also takes some great effort and luck to get attention as well, unless you are already big.

So yeah, unless you have that good stroke of luck, a dev can't just get by easily by just coding a game and selling it. They have to run and finance the business structure around all of that to sell the game. That structure which is completely outside of just the part that is just paying other members of the development team (if a team). With the App Store, there's little more to do other than code, send it to Apple supplying the information you want to go with it, and of course describe all of what the application is supposed to do.

Last edited by foiden; Dec 30, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
foiden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:55 PM   #34
bhsu21
macrumors 6502

For my app, Photo 365, it doubled in sales for Christmas time. Went from around 50 to around 120. This is worldwide.

But for some reason on Dec 29th, it did 628. I can't figure out why either. I'm not featured in the app store I the US, where most of the sales came from.

Pretty excited about it. Hope it holds for awhile.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:44 PM   #35
Clubber
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhsu21 View Post
For my app, Photo 365, it doubled in sales for Christmas time. Went from around 50 to around 120. This is worldwide.

But for some reason on Dec 29th, it did 628. I can't figure out why either. I'm not featured in the app store I the US, where most of the sales came from.

Pretty excited about it. Hope it holds for awhile.
Check Google to see if someone did a review for you. I got a spike that held quite a while (and is still holding on it's 3rd month) and I'm not really sure why. I cut the price of the app, the 4S came out and someone wrote a great review of it, so it's one or all of those three.

I had cut the price of the app before and the difference in volume didn't make up for the price, so I changed it back.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:34 AM   #36
mms13
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.bright17 View Post
Well i checked it out, and after seeing that Mumford and Sons "The Cave" was one of the songs i couldn't help but buy it. Very cool app
Thanks for checking it out, glad you like!
mms13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion