Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcook1237

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
lock still appeared

I enabled the guest account in Windows 7 and the lock went away. Is this the best set up? Thanks for your work on this.

JasonHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I installed this and the registry fix and the printer now shows up on the IPad. I however still have the lock. I tried enabling guest and rebooting and I still have the lock.

I'm using Windows 7 (64 bit), any other suggestions. My computer does not have multiple accounts. It logs in automatically on boot up.

You need to enable the guest account in windows:
Control panel > user accounts. And turn guest account on and reboot. See the origional post. I have updated it with instructions to fix this.

Last edited:

dcook1237

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Standby mode

You need to enable the guest account in windows:
Control panel > user accounts. And turn guest account on and reboot. See the origional post. I have updated it with instructions to fix this.

Thanks....this fixed it. I also used your instructions to automatically login. It is working fine now.

One follow up question: I noticed that when my PC (which my old HP printer is hooked to) goes to standby mode that the Printer is no longer available on my Apple device. Is there a way to make the printer available on the apple device when the computer goes to standby? I have my PC set to go to standby after 5 or 10 minutes to save energy.

Thanks again.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's not really an AirPrint issue. You might want to look into Wake on Lan/"Allow this device to wake the computer" for your system. You won't be able to print while the system is on standby.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I get no airprint printers found on my iphone.

-Enabled guest account.
-Firewall shows airprint is configured for access and disabling firewall didn't help.
-Tried guest account and my account in airprint configuator.
-No errors thrown anywhere I can see.
-itunes and bonjour are up to date.

Desktop is win7x64 wired to time capsule and can print to wifi printer no problem. iphone is on same network.

Does airprint drop an error log file somewhere?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
I get no airprint printers found on my iphone.
~

I fixed it, I forgot about sharing the actual printers on the computer.

Anyone remember the directory where Cute PDF saves files when printed via airprint?

chank

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Windows server 2003 x64

Any help for a fellow running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Service Pack 1 x64, running Active Directory as a Domain Controller?

Came across these instructions after getting an iPad 2 with iOS5 and found my old installation of AirPrint didn't work anymore (printers didn't show).

Hi, thought I would reply to ianis question about Windows server 2008. I run server 2003 x64 although I don't run Active Directory, but I did hit exactly the same issue where I couldn't "unlock" the printer on the iPad device after trying various different accounts including the guest account and changing privileges. However, what I did notice is that my shared printer on my server was shared via a Terminal Services session (as I only access it using Remote Desktop). So I thought I would add a new printer directly to the server (i.e. not via Remote Desktop) and sharing that, sure enough that worked for me.

My set up if it is of any help, is an old HP Lazyjet connected to a D-Link network print server. I run Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 on a server PC which I leave on and acts as a file/media server and the printer is configured using a custom TCP/IP port, so it appears as a local printer.

Just a note about service dependencies, you only need to install Bonjour and not iTunes. iTunes adds nothing and consumes your diskspace!

Finally, thanks for producing AirPrint windows service, it now works a treat!

inanis

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
Ohio
Hi, thought I would reply to ianis question about Windows server 2008. I run server 2003 x64 although I don't run Active Directory, but I did hit exactly the same issue where I couldn't "unlock" the printer on the iPad device after trying various different accounts including the guest account and changing privileges. However, what I did notice is that my shared printer on my server was shared via a Terminal Services session (as I only access it using Remote Desktop). So I thought I would add a new printer directly to the server (i.e. not via Remote Desktop) and sharing that, sure enough that worked for me.!

Thanks for the input. My printer is a network attached printer, but it is in the local printers list of the server, not a TS/RD mapped printer. I think that the issue is Active Directory: it's treating the AD guest Account differently from the Local guest account. Unfortunately, you can't turn on the local guest account when AD is active.

Any other thoughts out there?

If I have to create a virtual machine running XP just to serve out AirPrint, I will, but I'd rather not, ya know?

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
What about using another computer on the network that isn't the active directory server? Should be able to create local accounts on those that AirPrint can use. Or the VM as you say.

johnboy14

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
I have this working. Thanks for the instructions.

Any way to do this without the guest account? I'd rather not have it turned on.

JasonHD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I have this working. Thanks for the instructions.

Any way to do this without the guest account? I'd rather not have it turned on.

No. How can u tell you have it enabled otherwise? Nothing has changed for me.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Hmm.

Windows XP, Airprint service started fine, printer shared out, Bonjour service started, and its not picking the printer up at all on the iDevices.

Any ideas?

----------

Its ok I sorted it..

I have one of the absolutely useless at NATting Virgin Media Super Hubs.

A reboot of the router fixed it for me.

:D

inanis

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
Ohio
Server 2008 Stuff

Folks,

I've just installed the solution on my Windows 7 machine and the procedure works. My guess is that something in the solution treats the Active Directory "Guest" account differently than a local PC "Guest" account. Everything is definitely enabled and directions spot-on followed on the AD server, but alas, no joy.

Any further thoughts?

shepneil56

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
Most excellent solution

Dear all
I shared everyone's frustrations with Apple killing off the Print Apps. So I followed the instructions for the modified AirPrint with one variant, I had to use my normal login not Guest in AirPrint. Voila, it worked on my IPAD, my wife's IPAD, my IPHONE.

the solution is so good I can actually live with the concept that my computer needs to be on to print.

Well done
(sorry takeshi74 a typo!)

Last edited:

GenericMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
Thanks!

Everyone,
Thanks for the help!
Works great!
Took a while to find that I had to enter a client pin into my BelkinLan router but then it worked like a champ!
Thanks again,
Mike

shepneil56

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
double reboot required to start Airprint

Dear Jason
I had Airprint working perfectly last night. Shut down my computer then restarted the next day. Nothing worked. Opened AirPrint installer and none of the settings I had saved the night before had "stuck" so had to update which then required a restart (twice) before it worked.

Any ideas to ensure settings stay between restarts?:confused:

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Duno, my settings stayed and it still works.

As it lives in the program files directory maybe turn off UAC and/or run the configure app as administrator. Program files is a protected directory and general users can't change things in it, so it might not save.

chank

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2011
Folks,

I've just installed the solution on my Windows 7 machine and the procedure works. My guess is that something in the solution treats the Active Directory "Guest" account differently than a local PC "Guest" account. Everything is definitely enabled and directions spot-on followed on the AD server, but alas, no joy.

Any further thoughts?
What I did with mine is create a specific PC account for airprint rather than enable the guest account. You can set up the service to use an account called AirPrint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.