Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We received a tip that the following image had been posted to a Korean forum (registration required). Unfortunately, little other information was offered, but it was claimed to be an image of the upcoming iPad 3 Display panel.

possible_ipad3_screen_leak001.jpg

Top: iPad 2, Bottom: iPad 3?​
We believe the top image represents the current iPad 2 screen, while the bottom image is the supposed iPad 3 display. Both are 9.7" in diagonal, but the bottom screen has a different configuration for the attached cabling.

For reference, iFixit provided us with this photo of what the current iPad 2 display looks like disassembled.

ipad2labeled.jpg

iPad 2 screen​
As you can see there are 3 brown ribbon cables leading from the screen itself to the circuit board. The small brown cable to the far left is the power cable, while the other two wide cables are for display data. This configuration matches with the top display in the leaked photo (though the power cable is missing).

The claimed iPad 3 photo shows 3 wide ribbon cables that might be used for data. The iPad 3 is expected to carry a high resolution screen of 2048x1536 which is four times the number of pixels of the current iPad 2, so the need for additional data bandwidth would be understandable.

No other details are available, though the increasing number of parts leaking on the web suggests that Apple is getting closer to production. Just last night, Apple was said to be using a new type of display (IGZO) to achieve higher resolutions and require lower power in the iPad 3. The iPad 3 is expected to be launched during the first half of 2012.

Article Link: Leaked Photo of an iPad 3 Retina Display?

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
The claimed iPad 3 photo shows 3 wide ribbon cables that might be used for data. The iPad 3 is expected to carry a high resolution screen of 2560x1600 which is four times the number of pixels of the current iPad 2, so the need for additional data bandwidth would be understandable.
Correction: This passage should read..
"The claimed iPad 3 photo shows 3 wide ribbon cables that might be used for data. The iPad 3 is speculated by some to carry a high resolution screen of 2560x1600 which is four times the number of pixels of the current iPad 2, so the need for additional data bandwidth would be understandable."

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Oh I see, the top one has two connection cables to the display (iPad 2) and the second one has three (iPad 3)... ;) I wish they showed a side view so we could see the difference in thickness (if any).

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Would be a lot cooler if we could get the close up shot of the actual pixels like we got when the retina screen for the iphone was leaked

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
2560x1600 would not have four times the pixels of the current 1024x768 iPad resolution. 2048x1536 would be four times the current iPad resolution.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
The claimed iPad 3 photo shows 3 wide ribbon cables that might be used for data. The iPad 3 is expected to carry a high resolution screen of 2560x1600 which is four times the number of pixels of the current iPad 2, so the need for additional data bandwidth would be understandable.
The display in the OP certainly isn't 16:10 and 2560*1600 isn't 4x 1024*768.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can't wrap my head around an iPad with a "Retina" display. That **** is gonna be sold out for months.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I was kidding because I thought it was rumored that Sharp was going to make some of the panels and Samsung wanted to see what shape their next Galaxy Tab would take.

I read that Sharp was going to be one of the suppliers too. I think there was an article here that said they were using 3 suppliers which included Sharp and Samsung. I understood your humor. :)

Wolbo

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
I was kinda hoping that in the post Jobs era Apple would finally get rid off those shiny mirror-like screens but judging by these screenshots it's only getting worse. Perhaps it's just the angle of the photo but it looks awful.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Can someone please explain to me what's so special about 9.7"

I mean where did 9.7" come from?

Did they try 9" and try 10" and think... Oh, 9" is too small and 10" feels a tiny tiny bit big, 9.7" feels just right.

Bull poo did they.... So what's the deal about 9.7" Is it because the main much larger panel gets chopped up and with some wastage 9.7" is the biggest they can get out?

There had to be some "manufacturing" reason why it's this odd dumb size and not 10"

----------

I was kinda hoping that in the post Jobs era Apple would finally get rid off those shiny mirror-like screens but judging by these screenshots it's only getting worse. Perhaps it's just the angle of the photo but it looks awful.

You can't really have a matt touch screen.

matt monitor yes, but not touch screen.

All mat means it that the surface is rough and pitted. tiny pits yes, but rough all the same, it's just a dirt magnet then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.