Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Can someone please explain to me what's so special about 9.7"

I mean where did 9.7" come from?

Did they try 9" and try 10" and think... Oh, 9" is too small and 10" feels a tiny tiny bit big, 9.7" feels just right.

Bull poo did they.... So what's the deal about 9.7" Is it because the main much larger panel gets chopped up and with some wastage 9.7" is the biggest they can get out?

There had to be some "manufacturing" reason why it's this odd dumb size and not 10"

----------

You can't really have a matt touch screen.

matt monitor yes, but not touch screen.

All mat means it that the surface is rough and pitted. tiny pits yes, but rough all the same, it's just a dirt magnet then.

I think Apple chose 9.7" almost square to balance between video and reading. It looks more natural when a magazine or website is more square that rectangular e.g. 16:10.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-gb; Xoom Build/ITL41F) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/534.30)

Really looking forward to the next generation of high resolution tablets and I'm especially interested in which GPU Apple is planning to power such a panel.
The iPad 2 is a stellar bit of hardware spec wise.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I think Apple chose 9.7" almost square to balance between video and reading. It looks more natural when a magazine or website is more square that rectangular e.g. 16:10.

No no no....

I'm not talking about the "Aspect ratio" which is the older 4:3

We all know the arguments for and against, this. Better for reading far far worse for wide screen movies (major black bars like on an old CRT TV set)

I'm talking about the size.

They could have exactly the same 4:3 aspect ratio but have it a 10" screen.
No one would sit round a table and say, "No 10" is too big, we need 9.7"

There must be some manufacturing real world factory reason why 9.7" is being used again and again.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007

Did they try 9" and try 10" and think... Oh, 9" is too small and 10" feels a tiny tiny bit big, 9.7" feels just right.

Yep, that's it. Where do you think all the display size decisions come from? Why does the MBP have 15,4 inches? It's just the size they picked.

There's no magical boundary at 9 or 10 inches. It's just like any other size and it makes no difference in the manufacturing process. If you order enough of them you can have any size you want, otherwise you need to use what everybody else is using.

jvic

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
No no no....

I'm not talking about the "Aspect ratio" which is the older 4:3

We all know the arguments for and against, this. Better for reading far far worse for wide screen movies (major black bars like on an old CRT TV set)

I'm talking about the size.

They could have exactly the same 4:3 aspect ratio but have it a 10" screen.
No one would sit round a table and say, "No 10" is too big, we need 9.7"

There must be some manufacturing real world factory reason why 9.7" is being used again and again.

I would think originally it had something to do with the size of the pixels and how many there were. There was probably an optimum pixel size taking all factors into account and then they decided on a resolution and there was 9.7"

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Yep, that's it. Where do you think all the display size decisions come from? Why does the MBP have 15,4 inches? It's just the size they picked.

There's no magical boundary at 9 or 10 inches. It's just like any other size and it makes no difference in the manufacturing process.

I simply do not believe this.

I think it's factory related. I seem to remember reading LCD panels are made from large sheets and they are cut up into smaller panels for actual products.

Given the particular process/machine for the type of machine, they must do the maths and given the factory know how, they are told the best panels to wastage ratio is something like 15.4" or 9.7" any larger and they would lose one panel, It must be the nearest size they can get out of this larger sheet with minimum wastage.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010

Bull poo did they.... So what's the deal about 9.7" Is it because the main much larger panel gets chopped up and with some wastage 9.7" is the biggest they can get out?

There had to be some "manufacturing" reason why it's this odd dumb size and not 10"

It probably has something to do with the native resolution and how small they can make the pixels... They also have to be able to make them without dead pixels and defects.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
It probably has something to do with the native resolution and how small they can make the pixels... They also have to be able to make them without dead pixels and defects.
Pricing. The smaller the display, the cheaper the price. And, besides that, 9.7" was already a size that was in production at the time the iPad was announced (so mass availability).

Morris

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2006
London, Europe

There's no magical boundary at 9 or 10 inches. It's just like any other size and it makes no difference in the manufacturing process. If you order enough of them you can have any size you want, otherwise you need to use what everybody else is using.

Don't forget that the size in inches is just what marketing tells consumers.

The engineers designing the iPad, the component suppliers, the device manufacturer and the machines used to produce them will use metric measurements.

Why the screen has a diagonal size of 245mm? No idea :D

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
I bet 9.7 was because the material was a certain width and they could get another row out of they made it a hair smaller.. or a shipping reason.. they could fit 10k more per Boat Load if they cook off 1/4" in size..

----------

You can't really have a matt touch screen.

matt monitor yes, but not touch screen.

All mat means it that the surface is rough and pitted. tiny pits yes, but rough all the same, it's just a dirt magnet then.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Good to hear that the rumors are pointing towards a Retina display.

Bring on the iPad 3 :)

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can't wrap my head around an iPad with a "Retina" display. That **** is gonna be sold out for months.

You know you right...that screen is gonna be crazy yo!

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
The claimed iPad 3 photo shows 3 wide ribbon cables that might be used for data. The iPad 3 is expected to carry a high resolution screen of 2048x1536 which is four times the number of pixels of the current iPad 2, so the need for additional data bandwidth would be understandable.

Please, please, please let (some of) this extra data be for reading out a pressure sensitive stylus!! :cool:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Well, unless that's a Samsung sPad, then it's overwhelming evidence that:

1) The iPad 3 will have a retina display
2) It's in production. A late January or early February release is likely.

By the way, MacRumors, this is the kind of scoops I like to see here. They're legitimate detective work about upcoming Apple products (otherwise known as "rumours") not the lawsuit stories that make this feel place like a boring courtroom.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
What's the point of this supposed "leak" when there are absolutely no specs involved?

----------

It'll be related to 250mm or somesuch, most of the world, and the engineering world is metric.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
2560x1600 would not have four times the pixels of the current 1024x768 iPad resolution.

Yes it would:

2048 x 1536 = 3,145,728 pixels
1024 x 768 = 786,432 pixels

3,145,728 / 786,432 = 4​

EDIT: Never mind, I totally misread 2560x1600 to be 2048x1536. Pardon my ignorance.

Last edited:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Because it's a 4:3 screen. Aspect ratio is more important than having a rounded off diagonal measurement in inches. :rolleyes:
You can have a 4:3 display ratio at any size (9.7", 9.6", 9.5" etc. or 9.8", 9.9", 10" etc.).

Just compare it to the iPhone: the iPhone has a 3.5" 3:2 display, but there are also Android phones with a 3.5" 16:9 display.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I do like all these rumours of double resolution devices; iPad 3 in this case, but previously read the rumour about double resolution on the next MacBooks... The next year or so may be a fun time to be a geek! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.