Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Original poster
Greetings,

I'm finding that I'm posting far less now, because I can no longer quickly find responses to my current posts. Makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.

It used to be that I could simply enter my user name in the quick search box, and all posts that had a "quote=kdarling" would show up.

This has stopped working since Nov 18, which apparently is the same time that a new search engine was installed. Therefore, my guess is that the new engine does not catalog the QUOTE= information like the old must have.

Is there an alternative way to find posts that have replied to one of your posts?

Thanks!
Kev

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You can also subscribe to threads so you get emailed of when responses come.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Two things. Go to your settings in MR and make sure you are rigged to automatically subscribe the threads you have replied in. Then change your bookmark for the forums to the UserCP link. This will show you threads you are involved in that have replies since your last visit.

https://forums.macrumors.com/account/

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Greetings,

I'm finding that I'm posting far less now, because I can no longer quickly find responses to my current posts. Makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.

It used to be that I could simply enter my user name in the quick search box, and all posts that had a "quote=kdarling" would show up.

This has stopped working since Nov 18, which apparently is the same time that a new search engine was installed. Therefore, my guess is that the new engine does not catalog the QUOTE= information like the old must have.

Is there an alternative way to find posts that have replied to one of your posts?

Thanks!
Kev

We're looking into another system to track quotes.

arn

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks!

I don't want emails, and I sure don't want to search dozens of posts in a thread.

I can only post during my spare time (mostly while things are compiling - grin), and that's really difficult if I cannot instantly find replies to my posts.

Regards,
Kevin

If you set it up as I described in my post above you have the option of being notified by email or only in the UserCP area. Like you, I don't want the emails so I just get the notification in UserCP.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Original poster
If you set it up as I described in my post above you have the option of being notified by email or only in the UserCP area. Like you, I don't want the emails so I just get the notification in UserCP.

Thank you sir, I did look at that.

As far as I can tell, it just notifies me of new activity in those threads, from anyone, about anything, correct?

Some of these threads have hundreds of posts, which is why it takes too long to manually walk through and see if anyone has responded to one of my posts.

Am I missing something?

When I could search for "kdarling" anywhere in a message, I would get a list of posts that had quoted me, making it wonderfully easy to carry on a targeted discussion.

Cheers!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thank you sir, I did look at that.

As far as I can tell, it just notifies me of new activity in those threads, from anyone, about anything, correct?

Ah.... I did understand your request. Yes, the UserCP show all replies in the thread.

You could use a custom Google search like this to search for "quote=kdarling" site:forums.macrumors.com

That seems to get what you are after. Just bookmark my link and click on it when you want an updated search.

Only issue I see is it will not find replies to you where the poster did not include your quote.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
We're looking into another system to track quotes.

arn

It's absolutely essential. I don't like the idea of the forums becoming input only, I want to read replies to my posts.
Having to wade through tons of responses to see if anyone has, maybe, replied to me defeats the purpose.

[Ha, realized you probably won't see this because you can't track quotes]

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located

As arn, and many, many others, probably uses the automatic thread subscription once he posted in a thread, he will be aware of any posts he might have to take a look at. And since this is the "Site & Forum Feedback" sub-forum, he will check that too.

I fare very well with thread subscription, though I rarely post in threads with hundreds of posts, unless I accidentally land in one that becomes that big, where such a feature might be more useful.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's absolutely essential. I don't like the idea of the forums becoming input only, I want to read replies to my posts.
Having to wade through tons of responses to see if anyone has, maybe, replied to me defeats the purpose.

it's coming....

arn

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Greetings,

Thanks!
Kev

It's here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1290315/

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Greetings,

Thanks!
Kev

I tried reporting this as a problem with the new search engine in the thread on the "New Search Engine" and the developer of the new search engine did not like that and said that finding replies to my own posts was not an intended feature of search. I was pretty sure there were lots of us doing this, and I too have found that I don't bother posting nearly as much without the ability to track replies to my posts. Arn took on a project to produce an alternative means to get the posts. Unfortunately, you cannot use this to find folks who quoted you in the past, but at least going forward this should help. I hoping the new system works, but I have to wait for somebody to quote me. So here I have quoted you so it should show up in your replies.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
If you use the search below in Google it will show all replies where you are quoted.

thanks... never thought of that -- don't know why that never occurred to me (it should have) but it never crossed my mind to use google for that. maybe with everything else google has been doing lately (android, social networking, groupons, documents, competing with amazon prime 2-day shipping) i kinda forgot they had this great search product. ;)

EDIT: Unfortunately, Google's results seemed incomplete and not chronologically ordered. :(

Last edited:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
used to be that I could simply enter my user name in the quick search box, and all posts that had a "quote=kdarling" would show up.

Thanks for posting this question. I have always done the same thing, with 'Show Posts' checked. I often thought there ought to be a better way though, and wondered if there was some hidden feature, of which I was not aware, for tracking replies to your own comments. I guess not! Until now…

Thanks Arn! Now if only someone would quote me so I can test it out… :)

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
Thanks for posting this question. I have always done the same thing, with 'Show Posts' checked. I often thought there ought to be a better way though, and wondered if there was some hidden feature, of which I was not aware, for tracking replies to your own comments. I guess not! Until now…

Thanks Arn! Now if only someone would quote me so I can test it out… :)

Done

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
There's another way, too - bookmark the threads you are interested in to your home screen (or on a Mac, maybe to a folder for such things). That way, you can go right to the thread and, later, delete the bookmark when it's no longer of interest.

Nov 28, 2010
located
There's another way, too - bookmark the threads you are interested in to your home screen (or on a Mac, maybe to a folder for such things). That way, you can go right to the thread and, later, delete the bookmark when it's no longer of interest.

That is quite "complicated", especially as Quote Notifications have been ENABLED for two weeks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ya. The notifications are a great addition. I wasn't talking about bookmarking every comment - only those threads that are of interest.
That's what I was talking about, as well. I'm currently subscribed to over 12,000 threads, not comments. Plus, bookmarks won't notify you when new posts are made in threads you're interested in. You'd have to open every thread you bookmark, just to see if anything new has been added. It's not a workable solution, at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.