Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jertronic

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Being new to this part of the forum I have a question about iPod Touch and kids. This will be the young child's first apple device. Should I establish a unique apple ID for my son? Or, is it advantageous to piggy back on my apple ID for apps etc.

I have already been brainstorming as to establishing guidelines for the use of this device.

Last edited:

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I got my step-daughter who was 9 at the time an iPod touch for Christmas last year. Me, my wife and her shared an account for almost all of last year and it worked out fine. Now that she is 10 and getting more iTunes gift cards as gifts from friends and relatives we decided to move her off to her own account about a month ago. I started her off with $20 to get back access to some of the games and music she lost with the move and since then she has been buying things with cards she has received. There is no credit card on her account. She is doing fine managing things on her own.

chezza73

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2011
Stupid Mum, messed up Iphone & Ipod touch 4gen

Hi. I'm wondering if any of you can help me. I'm probably in the wrong place, but here goes.....
I bought my daughter the new ipod touch4. When I set it up I used my apple id. The only thing is I own an Iphone, & I didn't realise they'd sync to each other, so I deleted all my important contacts off the ipod (not realising that it'd do the same to my phone)....stupid, I know.
Is there any way I can change the ID, so my phone doesn't sync with the ipod? I need my contacts back, but I don't want them appearing on her ipod.
We've tried allsorts to no avail.
Please consider on reply, that I'm a woman, & that any greatfully appreciated answers need to be in plain English :p
Many thanks in advance, & a merry christmas to you all x

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
How old is the kid?
you trust the kid not to spend loads of money from his own account?
I would just add him to your account and then go through setting so that when he downloads something it wont automatically download on mine, but i still know what he is downloading and if he is spending money.
Me, two of my brothers, and my mom all share the same apple ID, and we get by just fine.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I'd give them their own account but not the password to same. That way you maintain control of purchase activity (which is nice if you want to give them iTunes cards as rewards/allowance) but you can still segregate their stuff from your own.

My 18 year old daughter has been sharing an account with her mother for almost 6 years now and when she went away to college it became very difficult to maintain the sharing since they aren't using the same Mac any longer. And with 6+ years of purchases songs/apps, you'll find the library gets very big, but since everything belongs to only ONE Apple ID, there is no way to divvy up the purchases between the two. So now my wife has to start all over again (she had far fewer purchased items than did my daughter, so she loses the Apple ID purely based on economics lol).

Trust me...sharing may be easy now, but it won't be in time.

Go to Gmail, set up a new email account for you child (sorry but you'll have to lie about the age reqmts since Gmail won't accept email accounts for youngsters), make that the Apple ID, keep the password to yourself and then register your tyke as a normal Apple ID using your credit card info and/or iTunes gift card info. Its easy...I just did it for one of my kids this morning.

stewie1

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
I'm having a similar issue now... with the added wrinkle that my daughter doesn't have her own iDevice. We want to put games on her mother's iPod Touch (with her mom's account) or my iPad (with my account). I especially want to take advantage of the sales on this week to snag some cheap games.

I want to download games for my daughter under my wife's account as I don't want her attached to my device. But if I do that, can I access those apps on my iPad (which will eventually be handed off to my wife)? Can I have two iTunes account active on the same iPad for the purpose of downloading apps?

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
AFAIK, you cant have two Apple ID's active on the same iPad at the same time. The iDevice is a single-account device.

ajohansson

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
Both my wife and my two kids share one apple ID.

We just set up the settings in iTunes so they don't automatically sync everything.

stewie1

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
AFAIK, you cant have two Apple ID's active on the same iPad at the same time. The iDevice is a single-account device.

The way I see it working they wouldn't be active at the same time. I would just activate one long enough to DL the apps on the other ID, and then switch back to the other ID.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
You might see it that way, but Apple sure as heck doesn't.

The iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch doesn't have such a concept as "user accounts," so how would you log in/out of each Apple ID to selectively choose which apps are active at any given moment?

And Apple states that ...once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days.

More info is here on Apple's official support pages:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Hi. I'm wondering if any of you can help me. I'm probably in the wrong place, but here goes.....
I bought my daughter the new ipod touch4. When I set it up I used my apple id. The only thing is I own an Iphone, & I didn't realise they'd sync to each other, so I deleted all my important contacts off the ipod (not realising that it'd do the same to my phone)....stupid, I know.
Is there any way I can change the ID, so my phone doesn't sync with the ipod? I need my contacts back, but I don't want them appearing on her ipod.
We've tried allsorts to no avail.
Please consider on reply, that I'm a woman, & that any greatfully appreciated answers need to be in plain English :p
Many thanks in advance, & a merry christmas to you all x

My daughter is on her 2nd iPod Touch (she got the 4 Gen yesterday) She has her own Apple ID and I made a gmail account for it. She doesn't know the pass code for the email address when she got her 1st one and I had her 1st iPod set up so she had to connect to my Macbook to get apps and music. The App Store and iTunes were blocked on her 1st iPod Touch and this way she couldn't get stuff she shouldn't I knew what she was doing.

I am glad I did this and didn't have her on my Apple ID, made is so easy when she got older and gets her own things.

Fossil guy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
I got my son an apple ID (email at me.com) when the new OS came out so he could use messaging. He had been using my ID on his device until then, but he needed (as I understand it) his own apple ID to use iMessage ... if he & I had same ID, we couldn't text each other ...

HERO XXL

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
With multiple iDevices in our home (phones, pads, and pods), sharing one apple ID became too cumbersome. It was equally as cumbersome when there was only one iTunes account as well--I broke under the pressure. After awhile, separating them all (iTunes accounts, apple ID's) just made sense. Especially with iMessage coming about. As long as you keep the passwords at hand and utilize gift cards rather than linking your own personal credit card to the device, it really shouldn't be a problem. When it comes to photo stream, apps popping up over all devices and backups--separate accounts are MUCH easier. All I now need to do is remind everyone to backup their devices regularly (weekly) and the headaches are now gone.
(until they forget their passwords. That drives me crazy!!)

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
One more reason to give a kid their own ID is Facetime. While the iPod Touch isn't a phone, putting your other iDevice family members onto the child's iPod Touch allows them to make FaceTime calls to the grandparents. This has been a fantastic way to teach him about proper phone etiquette and, looking towards the future, proper Videophone etiquette as well.

In its own "magical" way, this has been the single biggest payoff I've seen in getting my son an iPod Touch. He didn't used to pick up the telephone and call his grandparents frequently...they'd call him and he'd talk, of course, but he wouldn't initiate the phone call. With FaceTime, he is yakking with his grandparents almost every day now. Videophone calls via Skype, etc. aren't anything new...but the simplicity of doing it from his iPod Touch to their iPad (and I'm not doing tech support for either party thank goodness) is priceless to me.

danielletolputt

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
How to change the iPod touches Apple ID

Hi, I apologise if this has already been answered but I don't think so...
I set up my 2 daughter's iPod touches with my apple ID but now wish to give them their own for using iMessage. I have a family pack with MobileMe and have created apple id's and email addresses for them on there but how do I apply the new ID to each device? With one of them I have successfully signed into the app store with their new email/ID but the device is still sending messages from my ID in iMessage not theirs. When I go into settings and then messages and try to change the 'receive at' email address it comes up with cannot verify, email address already in use' ???? Do I need to reset? that seems a bit drastic!

Edit 2/1/12
Yay! found my answer! I went in to settings / messages / Receive at / and then clicked on the greyed out apple ID at top and it gave the option to sign out and then sign in to iMessage using the separate apple ID i had created for my daughter. She still shares my ID for iTunes store but I may have to change my ID for that so she can keep all her purchases (I haven't purchased as much). Hope that helps some other struggling parent!!!

Last edited:

jeb2u

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2010
DRM Videos & TV Shows

If I set up my kid with his own Apple ID, would he still be able to sync movies/tv shows I've purchased under my Apple ID to his iOS device? I'm not exactly sure how all of this DRM stuff works.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
If I set up my kid with his own Apple ID, would he still be able to sync movies/tv shows I've purchased under my Apple ID to his iOS device? I'm not exactly sure how all of this DRM stuff works.

as long as they are on the same itunes library it doesn't matter, he could still synchronize them.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

If they are just ripped movies you've created yourself no problem.

If they are purchased movies from iTunes, when you try to synch them to an iDevice that "belongs" to a different Apple ID than the one used to purchase them, iTunes will return an error that it couldn't synch it or give you that error when you try to play it on your childs' iDevice.

Basically, DRM is tied to the Apple ID. You can move the file around (in most cases) but the content owners' Apple ID and the iDevice ID must match to be able to 'unlock' it.

jeb2u

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2010
When you say "an iDevice that "belongs" to a different Apple ID" are you referring to the Apple ID listed under Settings - Store?

Elevon

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
Apple was going to make a smaller version of the iPod Touch for kids, until they realized that iTouch Kids wouldn't be an appropriate name. =b

Kmasuda8578

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I just purchased the iPod Touch 5th for my son. I tried to create him an Apple ID and a message pops up saying he is not of age to have an Apple ID. I tried to change his year of birth but its too late, the message still pops up. How do I create an Apple ID for him now?

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
For us, we have our own "family" domain name, which I have created each of the kids their own email addresses. I'm using Google Apps for this which is nice because I have a great deal of control over what they can/can't do with their email.

I just purchased my kids refurbished 4th gen iPod touch's for their Christmas present this year. This seemed like a good deal to me since they don't need the latest and greatest, and they were a better deal than I could find in any store.

My wife and I both have separate Apple ID's for our syncing, iMessage, backup, contacts, reminders, notes, etc. We also have a dedicated AppleID just for our iTunes library in which I am subscribed to iTunes Match. This works out well so we only buy apps once, we can all share our music, etc. Also it puts us on the same AppleID for iTunes Home Sharing so we can play music/control the AppleTV from each of our devices.

So what I figured was I'd keep with this trend of setting up the kids their own AppleID, and sharing the master family account. Through the restrictions in iOS, I can set it up to disable a lot of things, one of which being the ability to add/remove apps. This approach seems like it will work out well, plus we can turn off the automatic app download on our iphones and ipads so we don't get all the kids stuff there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.