Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
My phone automatically connects to sync when I enter my vehicle. I am starting to notice that the bluetooth audio automatically starts playing from my phone. For some reason sync triggers the music to start playing from my phone. Has anybody experienced this problem? I normally listen to SAT radio or music from my USB flash drive. I never stream music from my phone so this is getting kind of annoying.

Thanks!

defboob

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
i have sync as well, and it does what you describe. For me though it's all dependent on the last music source I had on when i turned the car off. If i was listening to FM or SAT radio, and it turned the car off, then later turned it back on - it will continue to stay on the radio. If i left the car stereo on the bluetooth audio stream when i turned the car off, then the next time i hop in, it will keep it there and resume the bluetooth stream where it left off.

I really like it that way because it's totally hands free, jump in and go (I mostly stream from my phone) My sync is in a 2010 fusion, perhaps other variants of sync behave differently? I would also suggest going to syncmyride.com to ensure your using the latest firmware for your vehicle's sync system, if you have not already.

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
Mine is just the opposite in my 2010 F-150. It will not connect to bluetooth audio (but does connect to phone) when I enter. I have to turn off bluetooth and turn it back on to get the connection. A large pain in the *** if you're out and about.

As to syncmyride, it's a pain also because it will only download an update if you use certain versions of certain web browsers. None of these are popular ones and all the useful versions are obsolete.

I usually buy two new vehicles every two or three years. I guess i hate to buy tires . This is my first Ford in twenty years and I like it, but I'll never buy another because of Sync. Too bad.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh I love sync and I will never purchase another F150 without it. Especially now that I can text and drive with Siri :). The Bluetooth audio doesn't actually play through my truck at random times. For some reason sync will trigger the "iPod" in my phone but the SAT radio will still be playing. I look at my phone and it shows that it's playing music, even when Bluetooth audio is not being used at the time. I have to go into the music app and stop the player every time.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Mine is just the opposite in my 2010 F-150. It will not connect to bluetooth audio (but does connect to phone) when I enter. I have to turn off bluetooth and turn it back on to get the connection. A large pain in the *** if you're out and about.

As to syncmyride, it's a pain also because it will only download an update if you use certain versions of certain web browsers. None of these are popular ones and all the useful versions are obsolete.

I usually buy two new vehicles every two or three years. I guess i hate to buy tires . This is my first Ford in twenty years and I like it, but I'll never buy another because of Sync. Too bad.

you can order ford vehicles without sync...and to use that as a bases to not buy another ford...serious issues

ggmissmolly

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2011
Lexington, KY
"you can order ford vehicles without sync"

Certainly you can! You won't find many in stock that way because Ford thinks it is a major selling point. Looks like they might get their major selling point to actually work the way it is claimed. I'm not the only person that feels this way about sync...it's a major issue.

Why go without the convenience of built in hands free and playing music through the audio system when other brands like toyota actually work. I did not say that I didn't like the concept...I said it doesn't work and that's a pain.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Maybe I just got hardware, when I hop in my truck, even if it doesn't find Bluetooth right away, I just say Bluetooth audio and it will find my phone

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

ggmissmolly said:
"you can order ford vehicles without sync"

Certainly you can! You won't find many in stock that way because Ford thinks it is a major selling point. Looks like they might get their major selling point to actually work the way it is claimed. I'm not the only person that feels this way about sync...it's a major issue.

Why go without the convenience of built in hands free and playing music through the audio system when other brands like toyota actually work. I did not say that I didn't like the concept...I said it doesn't work and that's a pain.

Mine works 100% all the time. The only time I have issues is when the windows are down. Other than that it works awesome, and it is a major selling point because it makes everything easier and most important safer while driving.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Make sure you aren't just switching to satellite radio, but rather stopping your ipod playing and then swapping to satelite radio. It should only automatically start playing whatever you had running last, if anything.

----------

Mine works 100% all the time. The only time I have issues is when the windows are down. Other than that it works awesome, and it is a major selling point because it makes everything easier and most important safer while driving.

Can you expound? What happens when the windows are down?

----------

You are basing your future purchases from a car manufacturer based on sync? :confused:

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Make sure you aren't just switching to satellite radio, but rather stopping your ipod playing and then swapping to satelite radio. It should only automatically start playing whatever you had running last, if anything.

----------

Can you expound? What happens when the windows are down?

I guess I wasn't clear of the issue I am having. When I enter my vehicle my phone starts playing music, it doesn't actually play through the sync system. The sync system plays whatever I had it on last, which is what it's supposed to do like you said. When I enter the vehicle and start it up, my phone shows that music is playing, the music is not playing through bluetooth audio. I have to go into the iPod app and stop the player. This happens no matter what sync is playing, cd's, USB, or SAT radio, my phone starts to play music no matter what. Also because my phone automatically connects to sync, when the iPod is playing you can't hear it from the phone or truck until you physically tell sync to play bluetooth audio. No sounds come from the phone when connected to sync.

As for your question about the windows being down. I was referring to the comment that sync never works. The only time I have trouble with sync is when the windows are down and it doesn't recognize voice commands due to background noise.

speed4tu

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
If you have a ipod or something leave it set on that and switch it back to sirius, fm or whatever and it will stay where you put it. Meaning the aux be left on something other than bluetooth audio. When you enter the truck you won't connect automatically to the phone. I used to have this problem and it was very annoying.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
If you have a ipod or something leave it set on that and switch it back to sirius, fm or whatever and it will stay where you put it. Meaning the aux be left on something other than bluetooth audio. When you enter the truck you won't connect automatically to the phone. I used to have this problem and it was very annoying.

I purposely have it to automatically connect to my phone. The reason is for the 9-1-1 assist feature. If I get into an accident it will call 9-1-1 and give them my GPS position. Also I like to have my phone connected at all times to receive phone calls and send texts with Siri hands free.

I would just like to know why the music on my phone gets triggered on when connecting to sync. There is no reason why this should happen because I never use bluetooth audio. This is also very annoying because if I don't notice it playing music then the battery is getting sucked down. Also if for some reason Pandora is open then it is also using data. I don't have unlimited data so I have to make sure the Pandora app is closed and not playing in the background.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I guess I wasn't clear of the issue I am having. When I enter my vehicle my phone starts playing music, it doesn't actually play through the sync system. The sync system plays whatever I had it on last, which is what it's supposed to do like you said. When I enter the vehicle and start it up, my phone shows that music is playing, the music is not playing through bluetooth audio. I have to go into the iPod app and stop the player. This happens no matter what sync is playing, cd's, USB, or SAT radio, my phone starts to play music no matter what. Also because my phone automatically connects to sync, when the iPod is playing you can't hear it from the phone or truck until you physically tell sync to play bluetooth audio. No sounds come from the phone when connected to sync.

As for your question about the windows being down. I was referring to the comment that sync never works. The only time I have trouble with sync is when the windows are down and it doesn't recognize voice commands due to background noise.

Wow that is odd... I am completely baffled. I am not sure if that is an issue with sync or if it's an issue with your phone. Bizarre!

jzohyeah

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
I want my iphone to auto-play

Ok, so I have the opposite issue, and I'm hoping someone's figured this out. Everytime I get in my truck, I have to say "Bluetooth audio" then pick a song to play. This is extremely aggravating since when I first bought it, it auto-played the last bluetooth audio song from when I left the truck. I am not sure what's happened, but this is really aggravating. All I listen to is Bluetooth Audio, so I have to say it out loud every time I get in the truck to activate it.

Every time I climb in and start my 2011 F-150 up, the radio says LINE IN. I have NEVER used Line In, but it always defaults to that. Do you know why this is happening or how I can get it back to auto-playing bluetooth audio?

Thanks

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Psst... Ford Sync and Toyota Entune are essentially the same product. ;)
Both are running Microsoft Auto OS with manufacturer customizations to the UI.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
My 2011 Mazdaspeed does the same thing if I leave it on BT when I shut the car off. And it is by NO means ford sync lol.

Jmart00i

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
iPhone and sync

There is a setting "auto play" in sync that you can turn off. Phone will still Bluetooth and bluetooth audio will still connect but won't play until you ask. I too am having issues where the Bluetooth audio sometimes works like it should and other times it won't. Either no Bluetooth audio device is connected or it will show something to be playing but no audio. I have to turn bluetooth off then back on to get it to work I have a friend that has a Hyundai (which uses a different system) and has the same issue. Another friend has a new BMW that has some of the same problems. I have a 4s and I'm wondering if this might be a phone software problem.

dasteve003

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2009
I was having some issues with my usb drive in my car so I read online to pull the fuse for sync for a few seconds and make sure its not blown and then put it back in, this did wonders for me and now mine is back to normal. Worth a shot to try and resolve some of these other issues listed here, but always be careful when messing around in the fuse box.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I just bought a 2012 F150. Sync works great between my iPhone 4 and Bluetooth audio on all of my music except for the music I have purchased through iTunes. Those songs will not even play on the music app on my phone. All the other music works perfect. Anybody know what is going on with this?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I just bought a 2012 F150. Sync works great between my iPhone 4 and Bluetooth audio on all of my music except for the music I have purchased through iTunes. Those songs will not even play on the music app on my phone. All the other music works perfect. Anybody know what is going on with this?

Do they play on the music app when NOT on bluetooth? If not, while I don't have an answer, the issue isn't going to be Sync related.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
Do they play on the music app when NOT on bluetooth? If not, while I don't have an answer, the issue isn't going to be Sync related.

Thanks for that!
Such basic troubleshooting but in the excitement over my new truck I didn't think about that. For some reason my music purchased through iTunes showed up on my music app. All the songs were there and I even tried to re-download them from the cloud with no luck. After plugging into my iMac and transferring music via iTunes it works. Not really sure why this happened but at this point I'm just happy it works.

Stang13

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
Ok, so I have the opposite issue, and I'm hoping someone's figured this out. Everytime I get in my truck, I have to say "Bluetooth audio" then pick a song to play. This is extremely aggravating since when I first bought it, it auto-played the last bluetooth audio song from when I left the truck. I am not sure what's happened, but this is really aggravating. All I listen to is Bluetooth Audio, so I have to say it out loud every time I get in the truck to activate it.

Every time I climb in and start my 2011 F-150 up, the radio says LINE IN. I have NEVER used Line In, but it always defaults to that. Do you know why this is happening or how I can get it back to auto-playing bluetooth audio?

Thanks

I have exact same problem. Did you ever figure it out and fix it???

Fleurdebee

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
Same exact issue as lrock. I have a 2012 VW Passat. I want to stop it from playing music on phone so as not to drain the battery. The issue is it playing on phone. I figured out how to turn off the auto play in the car itself so that it does not actually play the Bluetooth audio through car speakers unless I select that source. Music still auto plays on phone itself.

theleonard

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2010
iPhone 5 with Sync

2012 F-150 here. I love using Bluetooth with iPhone for playing music. Worked perfect in my previous Toyota.

My issue is this. Despite my iPhone always being connected to BT for calls, which is great, in order to get music playing from my iPhone to the Sync, I have to select the source every time. I've set it as the default phone for the truck. Sometimes I will play music, and it shows that AirPlay is sending it to Sync, but nothing will play. I have to manually select the iPhone again.
Frustrating, because I rarely use the radio, and mainly use my iPhone for entertainment in the truck.

Any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.