Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:13 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Internal 'GameStore' Testing App Accidentally Appears in App Store [Update: Pulled]

As noted by German sites Flo's Weblog [Google translation] and iFun.de [Google translation], a curious new iOS application that seems to be from Apple has appeared in the App Store. The new app, known as GameStore [App Store], debuted on December 31st and seems to be a test app of some sort, offering several racing-themed in-app purchases but without any actual functionality.

GameStore product listings and in-app purchase confirmation for "Nitrous"
The app is priced at $0.99, with the three in-app purchases currently available through the app priced between $0.99 and $2.99. Additional in-app purchases shown in the single screenshot shown on the App Store page for GameStore show items as high as $26.99, but these other items are not currently visible in the app itself.

In-app purchases made through the app do go through and users' accounts are charged for them, but with no actual game supporting the content available, they have no functionality.

App Store page for GameStore app and Settings pane from within app
When the app's listing is viewed in the App Store from an iOS device, the posting date is listed as June 9, 2009, which was during Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference just ahead of the public launch of iPhone OS 3.0 and the debut of in-app purchasing. Consequently, GameStore may simply be an internal testing app for the feature that was somehow accidentally published to the public App Store over the weekend.

Update: GameStore has now been removed from the App Store.

Update 2: TUAW's Erica Sadun took a closer look at the app from a developer's perspective, concluding that the app was likely sample code for an in-app purchasing developer test that somehow mistakenly got approved by Apple.
Quote:
What developers do is upload a working skeleton application to iTunes Connect. You do this with the full understanding that you'll be replacing or, for tutorials, rejecting your binary at some point in the future. Once uploaded, you can test your IAPs, and make sure all your purchasing processes work. Looks like the app was submitted in order to provide a live testbed and may have gotten approved inadvertently.

After consulting with the TUAW team, our take on this is "likely sample code accidentally deployed to App Store" by Apple and then quickly pulled once people took notice. TUAW reached out directly to the developer we suspect was behind the app upload before it got pulled.
Article Link: Apple's Internal 'GameStore' Testing App Accidentally Appears in App Store [Update: Pulled]
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Someone with a jailbroken iPhone extracting information in the data files from this in 3... 2...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:17 AM   #3
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Maybe Apple had planned to have a seperate game store, but decided against it.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Thijs Moonen
macrumors newbie

I heard you like apps so I put an app store in your app store so you can buy an app to buy apps
Thijs Moonen is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:20 AM   #5
ct2k7
macrumors 603

46 App updates

App doesn't have a high resolution icon - maybe it was something that was abandoned or integrated with something else.
ct2k7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:21 AM   #6
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'hain Esh Kelch View Post
Maybe Apple had planned to have a seperate game store, but decided against it.
Nope, looks more like a In-App Purchase (StoreKit) example application. Probably something that was made for the developer documentation.

Like the article says, this looks to be selling In-app content, not apps themselves.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:34 AM   #7
CodeBreaker
macrumors 6502

I love screenshots of Apps under development. I mean, where else will you find a stock round rect button that says "Buy Now"?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Nielsenius
macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple would make a separate iOS games store. I'd like to see some real (productive, informational, social) apps on the Top 25, rather than just a list of games the kiddies like.
Nielsenius is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:52 AM   #9
bacaramac
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I agree, not that it bothers me the way it is, but it does make sense as ios is competing with the likes of Sony and Nintendo.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 10:55 AM   #10
nitemare
macrumors regular

its still listed in the app store as of 10:54am EST
nitemare is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Juventino
macrumors member

the battery in that iPhone needs to be replaced!
although, it's probably one of those "faulty iPhone 4S"s ...
Juventino is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:05 AM   #12
BJB Productions
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thijs Moonen View Post
I heard you like apps so I put an app store in your app store so you can buy an app to buy apps
AppInception, what?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:08 AM   #13
WannaGoMac
macrumors 65816

Could someone explain why anyone would want to buy this app? Don't get why i care?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:11 AM   #14
zoonyx
macrumors 6502

69p for a piece of history. brb, flogging my account password on ebay for millions.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:48 AM   #15
applephanatic
macrumors member

Gone

It looks like the app has been pulled, I already downloaded it lol so we shall see what happens =)
applephanatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:09 PM   #16
UHFrank
macrumors member

A lot of mistakes lately..
UHFrank is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:11 PM   #17
drwatz0n
macrumors member

Sure, it's a cool little application, but I'll just be over here having a chuckle at everyone who spent a dollar on this.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:23 PM   #18
bb426
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder how much $$ Apple just made on this thing lol.

Last edited by bb426; Jan 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
bb426 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:40 PM   #19
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thijs moonen View Post
i heard you like apps so i put an app store in your app store so you can buy an app to buy apps
ftw!
Flood123 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 01:13 PM   #20
ashrob
macrumors newbie

It's the OnLive app.
ashrob is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 01:34 PM   #21
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

That app's UI is of very poor quality. Definitely not up to Apple's standards.
coolfactor is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 01:42 PM   #22
farleysmaster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsenius View Post
I wish Apple would make a separate iOS games store. I'd like to see some real (productive, informational, social) apps on the Top 25, rather than just a list of games the kiddies like.
You can use the app store categories (although, an option to opt-out of categories might be nice, so you don't have to go through 10 useful categories).
farleysmaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 01:47 PM   #23
gkarris
macrumors 604

Fake App mimicking the App Store?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 02:28 PM   #24
cvaldes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
Apple probably has dozens, if not hundreds of apps that look like this one. The point is that this is an internal testing app, not one meant for public consumption.

Pretty much every single industry on the place has different standards of presentation based on whether or not it's an internal-only matter or if it's a customer-facing item.

Example: restaurant uses large stainless steel hotel pans and metal tongs, but plates on nice porcelain china with polished silverware in the dining room.

You can't really judge whether or not this app is up to Apple's standards since we don't know what their internal code standards are.

Theoretically, an app like this should be simple and perform the task for which it was designed. It is was meant to debug in-app purchases, order flow, etc. it is probably sufficiently effective for what it was meant to do. To polish it up would be a dreadful waste of Apple's resources.
cvaldes is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 02:43 PM   #25
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
Its the stock iOS UI...its Apples UI.
rmwebs is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion