Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I am NOT picking on you, but just want people to know that the forums on an internet board aren't really the place to report gov't abuse, or rant about your boss.

Why not talk with your HR dept. or a friend about your boss? Why does it have to be posted in an on-line forum for all to see? Do you really need to rant that much? How about just go outside and scream for a bit to relieve the stress?

Corrupt gov't? There are plenty of legal avenues for reporting government abuse and corruption that don't involve your name in any way.

I see everyday on these boards where someone will post an opinion, and several folks will come on and bash that person for their opinion. It really is sad to see the utter nonsense that people will post nowadays.

What gets me is that the "advancing" of the internet has madeit so easy for more ignorant people in higher concentrations. For whatever reason, stupidity loves congregating... and anonymity only seems to polarize the commentary, but I don't see it as making it any "worse" or better... I have plenty of idiot friends who blather on on facebook about their childish level of understanding of politics, or ignorant perpetuation of urban legend, stereotype etc.

But Prior to Facebook/etc, you had Website forums ( like this one ), prior to website forums, you had USENET. Prior to usenet, you had BBSes,Bitnet, and Compuserve forums. Prior to that you had social/semi-secret societies like Shriners/Moose/FreeMasons/Daughters of the Revolution. Prior to that you had Pubs and Bars.
Ignorant people in all of them, all wanting to be heard.

But the thing is, I can't agree with you when it comes to governing WHERE that stupidity should be said. It's not my right to shut someone up. They deserve to be heard. If someone wants to rant about their boss, that's there prerogative. Are they free to shout it on the street? Are they free to write a newspaper column about it? As long as it isn't libel or slander, then why shouldn't they be able to write about it on the internet?

But it's also within that bosses right to fire them... whatever the law permits that is.
But if someone is stupid enough to post that boss rant on a forum with their real name, knowing their own HR policy or state law about hiring/firing then they know what they're getting into. Reasonable man standard should apply here.

*BUT* government regulation requiring that all IDs be tied to real names or worse requiring that those names be displayed is absolutely the wrong way to go. If hat is ever enacted, the foundation of our country will be significantly damaged.

/ironic that my account is actually a representation of my real name. back when I didn't think about this very much. oops :)

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Chat Roulette also seemed like a good idea to someone... :confused:

It is unfortunate that we are, the way we are.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

AppleRockerAlex said:
The idea of a 'managed' yet 'anonymous' forum on iOS is an expired pipe dream. Just look at the App Store Review system with it's nicknames rather than true Usernames or genuine emails, it's chock full of BS from all sides to the point of being a total joke.

Really hate to say this, but FaceBook has it right, be who you are. Say what you want and stand behind it.

If you don't want anyone to know what you're saying, or if what you're saying if a lie, violent, or breaking the law, perhaps you should shut up.

Since when do you have to be who you are on Facebook

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
There has always been jerks online that have nothing better to do than make people's lives miserable...and as a late 80/early 90s Internet User it has only gotten worse it really is no wonder governments want it regulated.

Its sad a few bad apples (no phun) ruin it for the rest of us.

I really miss when computers couldn't be run by monkeys and required skill, certainly kept the ignorant to a minimum.

narimonk

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Sacramento, CA
One "bad" person says something mean, then maybe groupthink takes over. Groupthink is "a mode of thinking that people engage in when they are deeply involved in a cohesive ingroup, when the members' strivings for unanimity override their motivation to realistically appraise alternative courses of action". When you have complete anonymity and there is no perceivable consequence for one's actions, good people can be mean and downright hateful.

Nice one George Orwell.

Not a snarky comment by the way, just clarifying for the troll patrol.

macaddiict

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2005
Albuquerque, NM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hmm, I see this as a problem.

This app was high in the ranks on the App Store. In other words, Frank made a lot from users like me who dropped $1.99 when the app went for sale.

Then, less than 3 months later, the app is pulled? What happens to the thooooousands of dollars that Frank made off this app?

He just gets to keep it?

I should be in the app-making business. I think I could make a few really good service apps that lasted 3-4 months before I pulled the plug and ran with money.

I understand something needed to change. However, pulling the plug (and keeping everyone's dough) should not have been the solution. Requiring logins, etc. would be a better alternative for the users who wished to keep using it.

mysticfox

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
A few bad apples

It's weird that some conclude that people suck and are just animals from this. Less than 1% of posts were malicious, so statistically it was just a few bad apples causing troube.

Unfortunately, with the internet, when you have hundreds of thousands of users, that population of trolls and jerks quickly becomes huge.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
I am NOT picking on you, but just want people to know that the forums on an internet board aren't really the place to report gov't abuse, or rant about your boss.

Why not talk with your HR dept. or a friend about your boss? Why does it have to be posted in an on-line forum for all to see? Do you really need to rant that much? How about just go outside and scream for a bit to relieve the stress?

Corrupt gov't? There are plenty of legal avenues for reporting government abuse and corruption that don't involve your name in any way.

I see everyday on these boards where someone will post an opinion, and several folks will come on and bash that person for their opinion. It really is sad to see the utter nonsense that people will post nowadays.

While this statement may be true for the country you and I live in, I am pretty sure those living in Tunesia, Egypt and Syria (just to name the most recent and most publicly aware examples) would strongly disagree...

gnashed

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Perfect example of "Just 'cause you can doesn't mean you should"..

I've been a Postsecret reader almost since it started. If you read the opening page it's purpose is stated "an art project where people submit their secrets on handmade postcards." The curatorial process is near automatic because submitters actually have to put effort into their secret and Frank has to sort through all the cards to publish them. THAT's what makes it such a great site.

But making into an app and allowing instant un-curated submissions was a HUGE mistake from the beginning. Ask that kid who created Chatroullette, or any host of websites that tried to create instant anonymous photo submissions. Eventually all you get are penises and crackpots.

I'm so happy that Postsecret is now going to be kept an analog, tactile art piece.

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
When I started, only 300 baud was available. :eek: Believe me I've seen it all. It does not matter what format it is, where it is, what it is, who invented it, if it allows text input for others to view, it will be abused. I've seen huge battles with and without anonymity that are still legendary to this day in certain circles.

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
What gets me is that the "advancing" of the internet has madeit so easy for more ignorant people in higher concentrations. For whatever reason, stupidity loves congregating... and anonymity only seems to polarize the commentary, but I don't see it as making it any "worse" or better... I have plenty of idiot friends who blather on on facebook about their childish level of understanding of politics, or ignorant perpetuation of urban legend, stereotype etc.

But Prior to Facebook/etc, you had Website forums ( like this one ), prior to website forums, you had USENET. Prior to usenet, you had BBSes,Bitnet, and Compuserve forums. Prior to that you had social/semi-secret societies like Shriners/Moose/FreeMasons/Daughters of the Revolution. Prior to that you had Pubs and Bars.
Ignorant people in all of them, all wanting to be heard.

But the thing is, I can't agree with you when it comes to governing WHERE that stupidity should be said. It's not my right to shut someone up. They deserve to be heard. If someone wants to rant about their boss, that's there prerogative. Are they free to shout it on the street? Are they free to write a newspaper column about it? As long as it isn't libel or slander, then why shouldn't they be able to write about it on the internet?

But it's also within that bosses right to fire them... whatever the law permits that is.
But if someone is stupid enough to post that boss rant on a forum with their real name, knowing their own HR policy or state law about hiring/firing then they know what they're getting into. Reasonable man standard should apply here.

*BUT* government regulation requiring that all IDs be tied to real names or worse requiring that those names be displayed is absolutely the wrong way to go. If hat is ever enacted, the foundation of our country will be significantly damaged.

/ironic that my account is actually a representation of my real name. back when I didn't think about this very much. oops :)

I have to say I agree with you. When I replied I was thinking of people that post malicious lies about a boss simply because they are mad at that person. I have seen it happen where someone was late to work, got reprimanded by the boss, and then tried to tell everyone that the boss was a pervert because they had gotten in trouble. That was the kind of post I was thinking about. If the boss is truly a butt, then I have no problem with the posting. The issue I see is that where do you draw the line when you are an owner of a forum such as this one?

----------

While this statement may be true for the country you and I live in, I am pretty sure those living in Tunesia, Egypt and Syria (just to name the most recent and most publicly aware examples) would strongly disagree...

True, I was only speaking of the U.S., and not the harsh dictatorships of the world. There are lots of places that need to post what they can.

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne

This app was high in the ranks on the App Store. In other words, Frank made a lot from users like me who dropped $1.99 when the app went for sale.

Then, less than 3 months later, the app is pulled? What happens to the thooooousands of dollars that Frank made off this app?

He just gets to keep it?

I should be in the app-making business. I think I could make a few really good service apps that lasted 3-4 months before I pulled the plug and ran with money.

I understand something needed to change. However, pulling the plug (and keeping everyone's dough) should not have been the solution. Requiring logins, etc. would be a better alternative for the users who wished to keep using it.

Yeah, I feel a tiny bit like a bastard for feeling this way since everyone is all peace and love about Postsecret, but I honestly wish he had Apple issue refunds on the app. Not that $2 is a ton of money, but I do feel shorted for what I paid for. I'm also curious how many people paid for it. It's a shame people on the internet have to act like d-bags and ruin fun things for normal people, but that's par for the course.

I think Frank's made enough from selling books of other people's secrets that in this case, he could have returned the money.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011

No, but Internet forums are good places to go to get advice on how to proceed with such things, or find others with similar grievances, or to simply vent about such situations while you are working to get them resolved. And none of those things would be as safe when tied to your real identity.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

He just gets to keep it?

Yup. Should have required vetted facebook login but then the user can choose a different user name.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Unfortunately the internet isn't a balanced place. For every place like MacRumors where users are able to have actual discussions, there are at least a dozen other communities who seem to get a kick out of being douchebags.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
As an ex-moderator of a popular forum, I've had the misfortune to see this sort of behaviour from the receiving end. I didn't get any threats myself, but I'm all too well aware of them.

Some people seem to think it's their god-given right to post anything they please on an internet forum, and woe betide anyone who dares to moderate them - "How dare you moderate my post - in future, kindly remember that I know where your family live".

People seem to think that they're untouchable when they're hiding behind the keyboard, usually not knowing rule one about how to really be anonymous on the internet. They usually shut up and run away in a hurry once they discover that they can be tracked down, though you have to be careful as there are of course the odd few who would actually carry out their threat.

Of course, there are plenty of people who can or want to dabble in the internet equivalent of phreaking, either for pleasure, necessity or nefarious reasons, but it's a shame that for everyone else, the internet seems rapidly to be heading towards an Orwellian nightmare because some idiots can't contain their desire to launch vitriol or spam bots upon the world.

Last edited:

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Oh man...

I probably shouldn't say this, but I used to run a very large BBS!

100% custom written in Apple DOS

Apple II+, Hayes MicroModem, 4 in-line Apple 5 1/4 Drives

Pirate Board, Phreaking, even sold Ads to the local Rock Radio Station!

This was before CompuServe, Prodigy, etc.

TEST! Who can tell me what "99e99" is and why it matters???

You are giving me serious flashbacks.

-Sysop of a BBS for over 15 years back in the day.

And yes, people would do stupid and disruptive things because anonymity let them.

tyborosco

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Therein lies the social media's biggest weakness...

********** with loud voices love anonymity.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
They should have been able to predict this would happen when designing the system in the first place.

There are always going to be people like that. Not excusing it but you have to take it into consideration.

hopegrows

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2012
Hope Grows - a visual collection of PostSecret App secrets

Hi there, as a response to the closing of the app, we've built Hope Grows. It's a visual collection of secrets shared through the PostSecret App that express suffering and hopelessness, and a simple way to offer hope. We hope to revive the positive aspects of the community of openness offered in the App. Check it out: http://hopegrows.us

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.