Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has begun informing customers in several of its Asian markets regarding this Friday's one-day shopping event in celebration of the Lunar New Year. Termed "Red Friday", the event is similar to Apple's Black Friday shopping deals in many areas of the world, where the company offers discounts on a number of different items including Macs, iPads, and iPods, as well as accessories.

red_friday_2012.jpg

According to 9to5Mac, the Red Friday deals will be offered through Apple's online stores in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and the Philippines. The deals will be also available in the company's brick-and-mortar stores in China and Hong Kong.

The event also falls during the same week that Apple celebrated the new year in Japan with its annual Lucky Bag promotion, allowing customers to buy bags containing mystery Apple and third-party products at a discounted price of $430.

Article Link: 'Red Friday' to Bring Deals for Asian Apple Customers This Friday

odaiwai

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
Hong Kong
Nope

Did people in Asian countries get Black Friday deals?

No, we didn't get any special deals around Thanksgiving. The last Thursday in November is not a special day anywhere outside the USA.

One year, we got some deals around Dec 22, the Winter Solstice, which is quite a significant feast day in China and Hong Kong[1], although not a holiday per se.

The last few years, there have been offers a few weeks before Chinese New Year, which is easily the biggest holiday in the Chinese calendar. It's basically Christmas and Thanksgiving rolled into one.

dave

[1] And possibly other places depending on your beliefs.

odaiwai

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
Hong Kong
This year, Chinese New Year starts on Jan 23rd. The festival follows the lunar calendar with 28 day months, so it tends to wander around the western calendar a bit. The end of January is quite early in the western calendar for it: it is usually around February. After January 23rd, it will be the year of the Dragon.

Prices in Hong Kong tend to be exactly US prices without taxes, rounded to the nearest 88 Hong Kong Dollars. (88 is a lucky number in Chinese numerology.)

I don't think the deals were outrageously good last year: 5 to 10% off is my recollection. Not bad if you were going to buy a laptop anyway, but not going to make you buy one on impulse.

Last edited by a moderator:

dereth

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2005
Singapore
No we don't get Black Fridays here. Apple even removed Back-To-School promo. Bummer when I had to buy my sis a MBA a few months ago. Sigh.

It's really nothing much to get excited about. Year after year it's pretty much the same lame discounts. The online market here is nowhere near the fun that the US market offers. The variety of stuffs here is extremely limited.

Anything that is on "offer" here in Singapore usually starts at a high price and brought down to a level which is like the "regular" price you guys are enjoying from Amazon... thus, a "discount" to us. Wow.

Take a look at groupon.sg and have at peek at any electronic gadgets on offer. Several times I checked and the discounted price is usually still higher than Amazon converted to Singapore Dollars.

Which is why I buy my stuffs from Amazon. To put it in perspective... A Jawbone Icon at regular price was about S$200 ($155) and discounted to S$150 (US$116) on a good day. I bought mine from Amazon for US$49.90 a year ago. I mean, yeah I know it's imported, but the difference is way too much.

For Black Friday 2011, I made off with pretty good deals - Klipsch X10 & UE Triplefi from Amazon and Nook Touch from Bestbuy among others. Again as an example... X10i was recently on promotion at a local gadget expo for S$512 discounted from S$569. Current price is US$288 on Amazon. You do the math.

Apologies for the procrastination. I'm a poor technophile and the scene here just irks me.

odaiwai

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
Hong Kong
So can I buy a smart cover on China's Apple site at a discount and have it sent to the U.S.?

I don't think you can buy something in a country specific online store unless you have a credit card issued in that country, and I don't think you can specify delivery to another country.

A few tears back, I tried to buy some iPods for relatives back home in Ireland, but there were not international shipping options from the Hong Kong store, and the Irish store wouldn't accept my credit cards.

This may have changed, so if anyone has done this recently, please chime in. I just don't think you'd see lines of Chinese buyers for iPhones if they could order from the US and get them delivered to China.

Edit: I was going to fix my typo, but a few posters downstream are making with the funny on it, so I'll leave it alone. :) )

Last edited:

caipirina

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
Japan did not have a black Friday

in reply to kas23 ... I was waiting for Japan to turn on the black friday promotions .. and it did not happen ... seems they are sitting out that one too. Or maybe, because it is the year of the dragon, they jump on it ... well .. as someone else said, their lucky back (fukubukoro) is a local specialty

(before anyone says they did not have a black friday because they do not celebrate Thanksgiving ... then why did Australia, Germany, Italy and many other non-turkey countries have a black friday?)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't think you can buy something in a country specific online store unless you have a credit card issued in that country, and I don't think you can specify delivery to another country.

A few tears back, I tried to buy some iPods for relatives back home in Ireland, but there were not international shipping options from the Hong Kong store, and the Irish store wouldn't accept my credit cards.

This may have changed, so if anyone has done this recently, please chime in. I just don't think you'd see lines of Chinese buyers for iPhones if they could order from the US and get them delivered to China.

Apple typically only ships to credit card's issuing country. No international shipping.

Even if they allow international shipping, you would have to pay shipping charges and customs charges.

odaiwai

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
Hong Kong
(before anyone says they did not have a black friday because they do not celebrate Thanksgiving ... then why did Australia, Germany, Italy and many other non-turkey countries have a black friday?)

That's a very good question. Do these countries have native Amazon stores and therefor get good deals from Amazon on those days? As far as I know, there are no native Amazon stores in Asia.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
And don't worry, Green Friday is right around the corner, where Apple will throw in a free windmill with every Mac purchase!! Don't miss out on this opportunity!

Kid A

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008

so sad, so very sad... :(

(;))

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX

I few tears, a bout of depression, and some long cold mournful nights of weeping nonstop hoping for a better tomorrow.

I am so sorry for your loss.

LeiQQ

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

No black Friday deals. That's an American tradition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.