Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
how is it even legal?

I'm wondering the exact same thing. Either Microsoft has explicitly approved this use of their technology and are charging some kind of blanket license fee, or this company is illegitimately using Microsoft's software. Office is Microsoft's crown jewels, I can't see them just letting another software company making money off of it, especially of Microsoft already has plans for bringing Office to the iOS App Store.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
If its really just like a VNC or Citrix then I will continue running Citrix. Though it works quite well it's a pain to try using mouse-pointer based Windows applications with a finger-based touch on an iPad. You find yourself often zooming in and out to avoid clicking the wrong ribbon element.

For some occasional changes that is fine; more complicated stuff is difficult.

I'm sure my company will not allow us to use this solution; they don't even let us use Dropbox or even iCloud (yet).

But for small companies and private use that might work well. Not yet around in Japanese AppStore; when it come I still give it a try.

Renzatic

Suspended
The only reason the buttons exist is because "it's the desktop version." And that's precisely the problem. The desktop version was designed for a cursor, not fat fingers. Remember the pre-iPad Windows-based tablets? Neither does anyone else. The reason is because the interface was like this: desktop-based, with no modification for touch.

I think everyone is missing the point of what this thing actually is. It isn't Office FOR the iPad, it's Office ON the iPad. As in yet another tool to make your favorite tablet that much more flexible.

If anyone needs to edit a document on the go, and can only make these edits through the desktop version of Office...well...there you go. You've got an app for that. To complain about the interface not being suited for a tablet is missing the forest for the trees.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
So it's a VNC client?

Sort of muddying the already unpalatable waters of the term "cloud".

RDP is more likely. These guys are basically selling MS Terminal Server technology (which is an awesome technology, btw).

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I'm wondering the exact same thing. Either Microsoft has explicitly approved this use of their technology and are charging some kind of blanket license fee, or this company is illegitimately using Microsoft's software. Office is Microsoft's crown jewels, I can't see them just letting another software company making money off of it, especially of Microsoft already has plans for bringing Office to the iOS App Store.
It's very easy to do this in a legit way.
I seriously doubt MS cares about this as long as they get their license fee out of it. They license out Office apps for all kinds of uses beyond the traditional desktop app.
MS has Terminal Service licenses for uses like this.
Each connection/session requires a license.
They could have easily purchased a few thousand of them for this purpose.
Very easy for MS to audit as well.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is no-one else concerned that you have to provide your Dropbox credentials?
Dropbox has ticket functionality that allows apps to access your dropbox without having to give them your credentials, and I am always very wary of apps that don't use that but ask for your user name and password

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
You mean a server.
Lets get real here, 'cloud' is just a buzzword for servers.
Nothing more than what they had in the 60s/70s/80s with thin client terminal computing.

"cloud" is much more than servers. As I explained in my previous post, a cloud is when you can instantiate "servers" in an on-demand and automated fashion. This adds a ton of power than a simple server collocation arrangement, as it allows for pay-as-you-go pricing.

For instance: I've worked with a service called Twilio (http://www.twilio.com). They allow me to make and receive phone calls just by making web requests. Someone from our IT department wanted to restrict their traffic by their IP address range, and they replied quite truthfully that they can't provide an IP range because they allocate and de-allocate servers as-needed, which makes providing IPs impossible.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Yes and no. A VNC client typically shows a user's entire desktop, but this is just showing one application, so it's more Citrix/XenApp like than VNC. But the idea is correct.

I've messed around with these services before, and it's almost always possible to break out of the restricted environment. Depending what you have access too, you can send a keypress for the windows menu, and gain access to the system that way.

Should be amusing when someone else works this out, and everyones dropbox credentials are compromised.

"cloud" is much more than servers. As I explained in my previous post, a cloud is when you can instantiate "servers" in an on-demand and automated fashion. This adds a ton of power than a simple server collocation arrangement, as it allows for pay-as-you-go pricing.

Point is though, there's very little software to actual take advantage of such a system.

Almost every 'cloud' service is just an idiot with a single HTTP server, there's no distributed system, no virtual machines, no 'self healing' system. The end consumer doesn't care, like having 'alloy wheels' on a car- it doesn't matter what the metal alloy is, it just sounds cool, so it sells.

Someone from our IT department wanted to restrict their traffic by their IP address range, and they replied quite truthfully that they can't provide an IP range because they allocate and de-allocate servers as-needed, which makes providing IPs impossible.

Your IT department clearly isn't particularly clever. The IP addresses would still be in an assigned /C or /D block, regardless of them being 'reallocated'. I doubt they even would be, that's just asking for DNS caching problems.

Last edited:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i might give this a try, but i do share a lot of other people's reservations about this app.

i would just hope that Microsoft is actually working on a native Office App for the iPad.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
For god's sake... just give me a *real* and dedicated copy of Office that works on the iPad. Like my boss doesn't bore us to death already with his 200 slide presentations. Now I'm at the mercy of a sluggish wi-fi connection? :eek:

The question is, how does CloudOn pay for that licensing when they aren't charging the customer anything, and it doesn't even seem like they are doing any advertising?

Wait for it... :D

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
CloudOn! Apply directly to the forehead!

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
That Ribbon mess. Now available in the cloud.

Completely agree. I think the ribbon is one of the most visually confusing interfaces ever developed.

Apps for tablets need to be completely redesigned to take into consideration the smaller screen and the use of a finger for input instead of a mouse.

Exactly. Pages, while still lacking some features of the desktop version, is beautifully implemented and a joy to use. It's also remarkably powerful. And I can store my documents in Apple's cloud. If I wanted to simply make "cloud" docs, there's always Google.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
That Ribbon mess. Now available in the cloud.

Dunno why you got a thumbs down. For those of us who've been using Excel since the beginning of time, that ribbon is horrendous!

<edit> Apparently someone here loves the ribbon. In the few minutes it took me to finish the thread after posted, I got a negative and so did everyone else who doesn't like the ribbon. Each to his own, but I will never buy a version of Office where it can't be turned off. Too many clicks to get the same job done and visually unappealing.

Last edited:

MarkieMark

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
Awesome concept! Horrible outcome. I just got an iPad 2 and this headline couldn't have come at a better time as I am in school and need to use office for homework. Everything seemed to work fine setting up accounts and dropboxes...etc. Functionality is all there and it seems to have quite a bit of features that are lacking in other app suites. I was disappointed to find out how slow it really was. To the point where I didn't want to do anything. If that is fixed it wouldn't be a bad app. I am still using Pages which I think is the best out there.

Renzatic

Suspended
Dunno why you got a thumbs down. For those of us who've been using Excel since the beginning of time, that ribbon is horrendous!

That's one thing I've noticed about the ribbon. For people like me who came into Office around 2007 rather like it. Since I learned the program with it, I find it fairly intuitive and well laid out. But people who have been using Excel and the other Office programs since, like you said, the beginning of time flat out hate it.

I'd say that because the ribbon changed the layout and work flow so much, the old guard hated it since day one, and never really gave it a chance.

chazwatson

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
San Diego, CA US
I think everyone is missing the point of what this thing actually is. It isn't Office FOR the iPad, it's Office ON the iPad. As in yet another tool to make your favorite tablet that much more flexible.

If anyone needs to edit a document on the go, and can only make these edits through the desktop version of Office...well...there you go. You've got an app for that. To complain about the interface not being suited for a tablet is missing the forest for the trees.

I think you're the one who can't see the forest through the trees.

VNC isn't new. Desktop apps on a tablet aren't new. This is stuff teenagers could do in their spare time. There's nothing to see here.

Microsoft will release it's tablet versions soon, and this will all just be a huge waste of money ($9.5M), resources, and human time.

This seems more like a shell company being propelled by a funding company trying to raise money for it's investors.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.