Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

150px-Premier_League.svg_.png

Apple is considering bidding for the rights to stream English Premier League (EPL) football matches, according to the Daily Mail. The EPL is the top football league in England, and one of the premiere football leagues in the world and the bidding for the television rights is expected to generate billions of dollars in revenue for the teams and the league.
The Premier League is seen as the type of premium content that will help establish Apple TV in the UK and boost iPad sales, while the iTunes subscription service infrastructure is already in place.

The involvement of Apple - and their great multimedia rivals Google are also expected to make similar soundings - would give the PL a hugely competitive market at a time when the price of other TV sports rights are in decline.
The Daily Mail notes that Sky, the current holder of the Premier League broadcast license, ESPN, and Al Jazeera are also expected to bid on the rights.

Thanks Dean!

Article Link: Apple Interested in Bidding for English Premier League Streaming Rights?

WiLLGT09

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
If Apple does get streaming rights, us EPL fans in the US better get access.

morty192

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Can't see $KY letting this happen. If Apple win this and if it includes 3pm kick offs this would be a massive addition to any portfolio for any media company so it has to be SKY or else they lose ALOT of customers with availability of HD and 3d streams of potentially every game.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Absolutely unreal. Not sure Murdoch would let go off the EPL without a fight though.

Perhaps they could go for Formula 1 as well? ;)

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
A lot of people would be interested in paying the $10-$15 a month fee to be able to stream live matches thru Apple TV and other devices legally.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
This would be ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

I would pay $10/month to see every Saints game next season - as they will be back in the top flight then :D

Hopefully it would happen and lead the way for the NFL to join and for them to quit these stupid blackout rules.

ajphares

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010

I would pay $10/month to see every Saints game next season - as they will be back in the top flight then :D

Hopefully it would happen and lead the way for the NFL to join and for them to quit these stupid blackout rules.

This article is about football, not american football :rolleyes:

Also, the Saints are one of the 3-4 best teams this year.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
can't see this happening to be honest, apple would have to take a big chunk out of their $80b cash reserve to take the rights off Sky.

Also, bearing in mind i can get all Sky Sports channels and therefore a lot of EPL games on Sky Go (an iPad/iPhone app) I cant see what else apple can offer?

----------

I think he's talking about Southhampton mate, an English championship side looking for promotion to the EPL next season.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
Stopped believing any of it was true when I saw the source was the daily fail.

I hope it's BS too, sky do a great job of broadcasting the games. Apple would need to realise what they'd be up against as they could anger millions of people very quickly if they didn't do a very good job with it, at a reasonably good price.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I doubt ... First I would assume they would go with NBA or NFL. Plus I doubt that the customer base would be big enough to justify a huge pile of $$$ to be used for that.

ajphares

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
can't see this happening to be honest, apple would have to take a big chunk out of their $80b cash reserve to take the rights off Sky.

Also, bearing in mind i can get all Sky Sports channels and therefore a lot of EPL games on Sky Go (an iPad/iPhone app) I cant see what else apple can offer?

----------

I think he's talking about Southhampton mate, an English championship side looking for promotion to the EPL next season.

Ah, I assumed he was talking about american football based on the avatar picture. Apologies!

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006

He was referring to Southhampton FC, whose nickname is also the Saints. They currently play in the Championship, one division below the Prem.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
But this story is about rights to show EPL games in England, the rights to show them in the US and other countries is a different thing all together.

----------

You don't know what I'd do to pay that much to see all of my team's games (sunderland). We pay something like $30 a month and only get maybe 7 or 8 games a year shown of my team, maybe over 10 sometimes.

scharf10

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
If Apple have plans to release a full TV set with a view to do away with set top boxes etc, this is the type of content they would need to make it work. Sky currently have fantastic HD coverage of the Premiership.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
I'd just like to make another post though to say that even IF this is true, and apple are interested, which I don't believe, I don't think there is ANY way sky would let it completely go. There is no way apple would end up with rights to all of the games, probably not even half of them.

Losing a lot of the games that they currently have would be a very bad thing for sky, and losing all of them would be a complete and utter disaster.

For anyone in the US who doesn't know, sky is THE satellite TV company in the UK. It has the majority share and probably only has one real competitor in the country. They are obviously a huge player in that market and so there is no way I can see them giving in to losing the TV rights.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
ESPN's EPL coverage in the US is poor. It would be nice if there was more competition for EPL rights here in the states - we might end up with decent coverage.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

don't count on it.

I suspect that this would be like the NFL etc stuff where there's an app and you would subscribe either off a site or IAP for access. And yes it would most likely be UK or European only

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Id say the customer base for EPL would be far greater than any other sporting league by a long shot.

I'd apple stream this for free it could be a huge drawcard for the ATV ecosystem.

rolfbert

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
EU
I'd just like to make another post though to say that even IF this is true, and apple are interested, which I don't believe, I don't think there is ANY way sky would let it completely go. There is no way apple would end up with rights to all of the games, probably not even half of them.

Losing a lot of the games that they currently have would be a very bad thing for sky, and losing all of them would be a complete and utter disaster.

For anyone in the US who doesn't know, sky is THE satellite TV company in the UK. It has the majority share and probably only has one real competitor in the country. They are obviously a huge player in that market and so there is no way I can see them giving in to losing the TV rights.

This article is not about TV rights, it's about streaming rights. That is a difference.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!

lol, yeah, I was talking about the team nicknamed the Saints since the late 1800s. My NFL team is the Giants by the way, as my avatar suggests...

Sky and the American broadcaster ESPN currently share UK pay-for-view coverage following the £1.78 billion deal for the rights to cover matches between 2010 and 2013. Sky holds five of the six 23-game packages.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...V-rights-battle-Al-Jazeera.html#ixzz1iRnApD9G

I don't know, it's a fairly low amount to outbid them, or at least get sports governing bodies to get better with modern technology.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
This is cool, a good use for some of that mountain of cash (which will grow again later this month). If they really want to make a splash, bid on the NFL contract. Yes, it would be insanely expensive, but that's as marquee as it gets and would give them big time clout for prying other contracts away from cable and satellite lock-in (like HBO). If they want, they could sell off rights to others to recoup some costs. I don't think Apple necessarily needs to have exclusive access to premium content, they just want the chance to stream it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.