Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

1q2012_earnings_release.jpg

Apple early today updated its investor relations page to officially state that it will announce its earnings for the first fiscal quarter of 2012 (fourth calendar quarter of 2011) and host a conference call regarding the release on Tuesday, January 24.
Apple's conference call webcast discussing Q1 - 2012 financial results will begin at 2:00pm PT/5:00pm ET on Tuesday, January 24, 2012.

Please note that comments made during this call may include forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and that actual results may differ materially from these forward-looking statements. For more information on the factors that could influence results, please refer to Apple's SEC filings.
The conference call at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific will follow the earnings release itself, which typically comes around 4:30 PM Eastern. MacRumors will provide running coverage of the earnings release and conference call.

The highly-anticipated results from a holiday quarter that also saw the launch of the iPhone 4S follow the company's typically conservative guidance that has already pegged the quarter as a blockbuster with predicted revenue of $37 billion. The company is also predicting all-time record iPhone sales as industry sales estimates have been pointing toward a similar record for Mac sales.

iPad sales are also expected to be strong with a record number of sales likely, although there have been some concerns that Amazon's Kindle Fire may have tempered iPad demand slightly. Finally, while iPod sales have been slowing over the past few years as customers have continued to shift toward smartphones for their music player needs, the holiday quarter remains the company's strongest by far for iPod sales due to their popularity as lower-priced gifts without expensive service contracts associated with them.

Article Link: Apple to Announce 1Q 2012 Earnings and iPhone 4S Sales Numbers on January 24

TXAppleUser

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2011
Texas
So it's current price of $411 doesn't do it for you? Those extra $4 a share will make it or break it for you?

Yes. Four dollars per share may not be a lot if you're talking about one share, but when you're talking about volume that's a different story. The difference is enough to cover my broker fees, two car payments, a vacation. I could go on. Invest smart.

Last edited:

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
If AAPL hits 415 again, I'm selling. I remember buying at it at $98/share.

After aapl hits $450 I'll consider selling 10%, and roughly the same number of shares after $500. I remember buying starting at $39, and many points thereafter

----------

Yes. Four dollars per share may not be a lot if you're talking about one share, but when you're talking about volume that's a different story. The difference is enough to cover my broker fees, two car payments, a vacation. I could go on. Invest smart.

Four dollars per share is under 1%, which is insignificant on a long term investment. Invest smart means sell smart as well as buy smart.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Why now though? Nothing exceptionally good happened recently and there were bad news that everyone thought would hurt AAPL (Steve's death, iPhone 4S not an iPhone 5, minor iPod refresh, etc.). In the next year we should see a major refresh of the MBP line and the long-awaited iPhone 5.

I know APPL also depends on the whole American economy and not just Apple's performance, but is there any good reason to sell now besides your personal economic needs? I'm truly asking, I don't know.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I know APPL also depends on the whole American economy and not just Apple's performance, but is there any good reason to sell now besides your personal economic needs? I'm truly asking, I don't know.

Not in my opinion. Not only do I think 2012 - 2015 will be good years for Apple, I also feel that the stock hasn't fully accounted for the success of 2007-2011 yet. I think it could continue to rise even if Apple did nothing for the next year.

In other words, even though I already owned shares, I just bought more about 3 months back.

ThatSmithJr

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Wall Street Projections

All of the wall street projections have Apple going to 500 at this earnings report and possibly to 700 by the end of 2012

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
All of the wall street projections have Apple going to 500 at this earnings report and possibly to 700 by the end of 2012

B@::*****. There are currently no WS projections for either of those. The highest 2012 projection is 666 by some clowns who slapped that on in October 2010 to get attention.

Curious that your first and only post here was an attempt to spread false information about aapl stock.

PS65

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
United Kingdom

Why did people down rate the above comment. It's a valid point, assuming you're not a noise trader - then there is rational for the price.

----------

Four dollars per share is under 1%, which is insignificant on a long term investment. Invest smart means sell smart as well as buy smart.

Ummm 1% over a couple of weeks is not long term.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Not in my opinion. Not only do I think 2012 - 2015 will be good years for Apple, I also feel that the stock hasn't fully accounted for the success of 2007-2011 yet. I think it could continue to rise even if Apple did nothing for the next year.

In other words, even though I already owned shares, I just bought more about 3 months back.

Anyone that claims they own shares on the internet, in fact have one or two shares if any at all.

----------

The Kindle Fire will boost sales, people will want a grown up, unfragmented tablet in the end.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The Christmas quarter is a very special thing.

Watch for big numbers across the board, iPhone especially.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Should be amazing numbers for AAPL.

I agree. The next few years should be good for the smartphone and tablet markets. The smartphone markets is still only 30-40% of the mobile phone market, so it's still blue skies ahead for smartphone makers at least for the next 3 years.

What's amazing is that Apple is firing on all cylinders, their PC/notebook products selling like mad even in the the light of the popularity/disruptions of tablets.

Their P/E is nice, and when you take out the cash components it's really low.

the downside risks would be:
-can apple continue with making hit products?
-will the iPhone be commoditized soon? (forcing apple to reduce prices and causing margin compression)

Nothing is certain, but I think for both points it would be relatively safe to say 'it's likely' they'll continue with successful products and that the smartphone market will do well.

TXAppleUser

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2011
Texas
Why now though? Nothing exceptionally good happened recently and there were bad news that everyone thought would hurt AAPL (Steve's death, iPhone 4S not an iPhone 5, minor iPod refresh, etc.). In the next year we should see a major refresh of the MBP line and the long-awaited iPhone 5.

Let the speculation begin.

I'm selling because I want out of the stock market. In my area there are good deals on real estate right now, and I want to invest the money there.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Anyone that claims they own shares on the internet, in fact have one or two shares if any at all.

Says the man bragging about his Macbook Pro, Apple TV 2, and white iPhone.

Is this your weird way of confessing to us that all of that's a lie too? Since my Apple shares are apparently made up, your computer must be too. Right?

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
The Christmas quarter is a very special thing.

Watch for big numbers across the board, iPhone especially.

Couldn't agree more, Apple have an amazing product line at the moment.

Best computer OS and hardware, Best MP3 players, by far the best mobile phone and software, and the best tablet device.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Why did people down rate the above comment. It's a valid point, assuming you're not a noise trader - then there is rational for the price.

----------

Ummm 1% over a couple of weeks is not long term.

Downrated because a silly statement. Since he held from below 100, waiting for an under 1% increase at a magical $415, after a more than an alleged 300% gain, is odd. If he wants out, start scaling now. No prediction on how high since that's up to WS, not aapl, but aapl will provide the numbers. If anyone thinks aapl won't exceed it's ATH in next few weeks please PM. I've got some Nevada oceanfront property for sale.

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
Says the man bragging about his Macbook Pro, Apple TV 2, and white iPhone.

Is this your weird way of confessing to us that all of that's a lie too? Since my Apple shares are apparently made up, your computer must be too. Right?

Yes, that right... My MacBook is 4 years old, thats hardly anything to 'brag' about.

Maybe I should pretend to own Apple shares, that would make me a proper cyber-douchenozzle

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Couldn't agree more, Apple have an amazing product line at the moment.

Best computer OS and hardware, Best MP3 players, by far the best mobile phone and software, and the best tablet device.

Yap. The only thing they don't magically have is people having money to burn on yet another complimentary device (i.e. upgrade their iPad 1 to Gen 3, buy a new iPhone - whatever).

In case you have missed the big picture - the market for luxury consumption devices is a saturated pile of crap with hype after hype needed to motivate people buying.

See the slow and incremental update policy - Apple gives you JUST ENOUGH to upgrade though you now it's burnt money.

Anyhow - we'll see how the stock plummets after MWC 2012.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
In case you have missed the big picture - the market for luxury consumption devices is a saturated pile of crap with hype after hype needed to motivate people buying.

See the slow and incremental update policy - Apple gives you JUST ENOUGH to upgrade though you now it's burnt money.

Please, not the, "People don't know any better, so they like to buy high priced Apple stuff" people buy it, because its a good quality product.

I don't call thunderbolt an incremental update. Its a new technology. Even besides that, its natural to see incremental updates.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006
Yap. The only thing they don't magically have is people having money to burn on yet another complimentary device (i.e. upgrade their iPad 1 to Gen 3, buy a new iPhone - whatever).

Seems like we've been seeing this sky is falling statements from naysayers for several years now. "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."--Albert Einstein

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

The only way Apple stock can plummet in response to an MS announcement, is if during the announcement, MS employees launch a thermonuclear device at Apple headquarters in Cupertino, and it actually does what it's supposed to.

Microsoft's activities haven't had any substantial effect on Apple for years (aside from making Apple look really good), and certainly won't while Ballmer is running things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.