Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:56 AM   #26
kas23
macrumors 603

What ever happened to "boy, have we patented it"?

And, while current Android phones may resemble the iPhone, that shot of the G1 looks nothing like an iPhone. What a ridiculous statement. First, it is white, iPhone was black only at that time. It has a track-ball and 5 separate buttons at the bottom. iPhone has 1 home button and no track-ball. The G1 is not flat, but actually angles out near the mouth piece. The iPhone is completely flat. The G1 has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, iPhone does not. The G1 has a crowded menu bar (more like Windows Mobile if anything), not so with iPhone. There a huge widget (a clock) in middle of G1 screen, no widgets on iPhone. G1 has some kind of pop-up menu on screen, not so with iPhone (yet, ironically, iOS would add this later). And lastly, they both have folders/apps on the screen. What a novel concept for both of them there.

There should be a minimum IQ for posters here.
kas23 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:01 AM   #27
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Boony View Post
When will Google settle copying iOS?

I wish Apple sue the hell out of Google, they stole a whole operating system.
The pictures that you posted don't show any similarity in the design at all. I think you are confused because Apple is suing _one_ manufacturer for _one_ tablet design that is too close to the iPad and conclude wrongly that _every_ Android device must be the copy of an Apple product. That is not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
Just because you have patents, even lots of patents, doesn't mean you aren't infringing on someone else's patents. And even if you aren't infringing, doesn't mean someone else can't sue you.

Quote:
And, while current Android phones may resemble the iPhone, that shot of the G1 looks nothing like an iPhone. What a ridiculous statement. First, it is white, iPhone was black only at that time. It has a track-ball and 5 separate buttons at the bottom. iPhone has 1 home button and no track-ball. The G1 is not flat, but actually angles out near the mouth piece. The iPhone is completely flat. The G1 has a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, iPhone does not. The G1 has a crowded menu bar (more like Windows Mobile if anything), not so with iPhone. There a huge widget (a clock) in middle of G1 screen, no widgets on iPhone. G1 has some kind of pop-up menu on screen, not so with iPhone (yet, ironically, iOS would add this later). And lastly, they both have folders/apps on the screen. What a novel concept for both of them there.
Absolutely correct. I'm not sure about the colour, but each single one of the other differences would be enough to make it different enough from the iPhone.

Last edited by gnasher729; Jan 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
gnasher729 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:07 AM   #28
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Since everyone is ok with Apple infringing on the patents of others I'm sure that being rational men you'll feel the same when someone else is accused of infringing on Apple's patents too. I know that no one would be hypocritical about that.
AppleScruff1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:10 AM   #29
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmunch View Post
Not knowing the details or depths of the infringement on the surface it looks like Apple got off real cheap.
What makes you say that? Five million dollars pays for a few dozen good engineers for a year (with quite a bit of additional cost beyond salary and taxes).
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:24 AM   #30
razmage
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
What makes you say that? Five million dollars pays for a few dozen good engineers for a year (with quite a bit of additional cost beyond salary and taxes).
I wonder if this opens the way for them to go after other companies for multi-touch. Pretty sure it would.
razmage is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:54 AM   #31
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
They did. It's just that one of the patents required to get it to work belonged to someone else, and they have reached a mutual settlement. It happens all the time.

It isn't as if the iPhone or even multitouch relies on a single patent. There are often hundreds of patents involved with a modern device.

There are also multiple ways to develop similar techniques. Note that Apple has not gone after Microsoft, even though Windows Phone also uses multitouch and other elements that debuted on the iPhone. The difference is that Microsoft apparently uses different methods, and they also use a different UI.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:54 AM   #32
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Tim Cook: Hey Scott, we're settling with Elan. It's for 5 million. Have you got any change on you?

Scott Forstall: Uh yeah, just hang on a sec. I think I had a few mil on me when I went to get coffee this morning. *fishes around in his pocket* Ok, here's around 4. Bum the rest off Jony.

Tim Cook: k.
Tim: Hey Scott, we're settling with Elan. It's for $5 mil. Have you got any change on you?

Scott: no... get Eddie to send them a $5 mil iTunes gift card.

Tim: k.

paul4339 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:50 AM   #33
skoorbevad
macrumors member

Quote:
I don't think that you have any idea what you're talking about.
skoorbevad is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:07 PM   #34
Rafterman
macrumors 65816

The five million reportedly coming from the loose change in Tim Cook's pants pocket.
Rafterman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:13 PM   #35
Tailpike1153
macrumors 6502a

Apple has gotten into so many legal tangles that I can't keep them straight. I'm glad to finally see some progress. I wonder if 2012 is the year of legal settlements or if Apple's legal team is going to crack up the case load?
Tailpike1153 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 01:19 PM   #36
Mr Bigs
macrumors 6502

Quote:

This is what makes all these small lawsuits a joke, Apple have had their iOS inside developers taken by Google in 2006 and all of a sudden, Android looked like iOS copy rather than Blackberry copy.

GO AFTER THE THIEVES APPLE - GOOGLE

Android before poaching Apple iOS employees 2006/early 2007:

Android post poaching iOS employees:

As soon as Apple settles copying Google

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
What in Android actually belongs to Google? That's the question, and the issue hasn't been scrutinized. Yet.
Ummm same thing with Apple as were slowly finding out but they're much more arrogant about it.
Mr Bigs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 02:12 PM   #37
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Apple: "Just $5 million? Wow. That was cheap."

Elan: "$5 million? Yay! We're rich!"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoorbevad View Post
I don't think that you have any idea what you're talking about.
Google stole Java. Now they think they can use it in Android without paying Oracle.
Larry Ellison disagrees.
SockRolid is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion