Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:12 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone 4S Rollout Continues in China and 21 Other Countries on January 13

Apple today announced that it will be launching the iPhone 4S in 22 new countries on Friday, January 13, with China being the featured addition for this round of debuts.
Quote:
"Customer response to our products in China has been off the charts," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "With the launch in China next week, iPhone 4S will be available in over 90 countries making this our fastest iPhone rollout ever."
China Unicom has been the exclusive official iPhone carrier in China, and Apple's press release gives no indication whether the device will be expanded to new carriers there.

The full list of launch countries includes: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Bolivia, Botswana, British Virgin Islands, Cameroon, Cayman Islands, Central African Republic, China, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Grenada, Guam, Guinea Conakry, Ivory Coast, Jamaica, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritius, Niger, Senegal, St. Vincent and The Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos and Uganda.

Article Link: iPhone 4S Rollout Continues in China and 21 Other Countries on January 13
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2
ChinaRye
macrumors newbie

North Korea gets screwed again!
ChinaRye is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3
coder12
macrumors 6502

This is great news! The 4S is the best investment I've ever made; everyone should have the option of getting one!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:26 AM   #4
cityathrt
macrumors regular

I notice that Siri isn't mentioned in this ad... odd. Although location based services won't work, phone specific ones should. I wonder why the omission?
cityathrt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityathrt View Post
I notice that Siri isn't mentioned in this ad... odd. Although location based services won't work, phone specific ones should. I wonder why the omission?
Perhaps some languages don't work quite as well as others yet and thus Siri is "more beta" in some countries than in others. So while it may exist on those phones they're not going to brag about it yet.

Just an off-hand guess.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:42 AM   #6
gkuhn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
China Unicom has been the exclusive official iPhone carrier in China, and Apple's press release gives no indication whether the device will be expanded to new carriers there.
This is not a bit surprise. The three mobile network operators in China are forced to use specific network technology:
China Unicom: UMTS (european system)
China Mobile: TD-SCDMA (chinese system)
China Telecom: CDMA 2000 (american system)
I haven't heard yet that iPhone does support TD-SCDMA.
gkuhn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:42 AM   #7
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Siri only works in english, french and german so far plus localization stuff with siri is us only
Old Jan 4, 2012, 08:46 AM   #8
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I wonder if ppl were waiting overnight in Guinea Conakry for the launch?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:41 AM   #9
hkenneth
macrumors regular

Quote:
Although Apple may able to make Siri support "standard" Chinese, there are dozens of dialects in China. Each one of them has a very distinctive pronunciation or even grammar (as distinctive as English vs. Scottish). I wonder Siri in China would be as successful as it in the US.
hkenneth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 09:46 AM   #10
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

So now the Chinese can stop buying our phones in the US and shipping them to China?
iPad 3 16gb
MultiMediaWill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:22 AM   #11
vartanarsen
macrumors 6502a

Sorry Asian Scalpers on lines....Your Time is UP))) I cant wait to see your face when you see normal people walking into a China Apple Store....and not funding your scalping operation
vartanarsen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Love my phone. Glad other countries get to enjoy it
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:26 PM   #13
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill
So now the Chinese can stop buying our phones in the US and shipping them to China?
Yes, just think of the carbon footprint; exporting them from China to the US, just to turn the ship around and send them back.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:35 PM   #14
wackymacky
macrumors 65816

Location: sent to 17.019528,-25.06721 for the next 6 weeks for my sins
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaRye
North Korea gets screwed again!
You can run cellphones in North Korea, and the subscriptions are quite cheep (under 20 Euro a month). Though you only get about 60 min a month of calls for this and about 150 texts.

All your calls are monitored, you can't call international? and Internet is blocked.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 02:42 PM   #15
kvnkvnkvn
macrumors member

Does the iPhone even support Tswana, Malagasy, Swahili or Chamorro
kvnkvnkvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:34 AM   #16
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502

Surprised the 4S came out so late in China considering the market...
HishamAkhtar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 08:14 AM   #17
festerfeet
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
No it isn't really as it only received regulatory approval last week.

Good news is (for me) that I just picked up a 4S in Szechuan for half the price the scalpers were asking last month and cheaper than I could buy it in the UK which was was my other option when I returned there for business in a months time.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishamAkhtar View Post
I think even if it was given regulatory approval sooner it would have have been difficult to provide the numbers to satisfy demand any earlier.

And Siri works very well in UK English here
festerfeet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 08:18 AM   #18
tanhm
macrumors regular

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navdakilla View Post
Love my phone. Glad other countries get to enjoy it
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:54 AM   #19
HishamAkhtar
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=festerfeet;14112142]No it isn't really as it only received regulatory approval last week.

Good news is (for me) that I just picked up a 4S in Szechuan for half the price the scalpers were asking last month and cheaper than I could buy it in the UK which was was my other option when I returned there for business in a months time.[COLOR="#808080"]

Fair enough. Have you checked out Hong Kong? They have the cheapest Apple products that i've seen anywhere! (after conversion)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerfeet View Post
No it isn't really as it only received regulatory approval last week.

Good news is (for me) that I just picked up a 4S in Szechuan for half the price the scalpers were asking last month and cheaper than I could buy it in the UK which was was my other option when I returned there for business in a months time.

Fair enough. Have you checked out Hong Kong? They have the cheapest Apple products that i've seen anywhere! (after conversion)

----------

I think even if it was given regulatory approval sooner it would have have been difficult to provide the numbers to satisfy demand any earlier.

And Siri works very well in UK English here
You speak English in China?!
HishamAkhtar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 09:50 AM   #20
App-Netzwerk
macrumors newbie

iPhone demand in China

Demand for iPhone 4S in China will be massive.

Needham just upped estimates for Q4 2011 to 32 million for the quarter. China launch will help to maintain those high levels.

Also hoping for an imminent launch of iPhone on the other two major Chinese carriers: China Mobile and China Telecom!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:04 AM   #21
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartanarsen View Post
Sorry Asian Scalpers on lines....Your Time is UP))) I cant wait to see your face when you see normal people walking into a China Apple Store....and not funding your scalping operation

Not asian, and I brought in 6 units (one for my wife) from HK and Aus, sold them for a decent profit to pay for our airfare to thailand. When theres extra pocket money to be made I'm there and its so easy in this country with little effort
win win for me
199708 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion