Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So, my parents have some upgrades available on Verizon that they aren't going to use, they like their current phones, and they would be willing to let me get a 4S for the subsidized price using one of them. The one thing that I want to know before getting one is after I get Verizon to unlock it can I use it on T-Mobile or does it not work with domestic carriers? I'm good with jail breaking it if it is required, but I'd prefer not to.

dickdaney

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2009
You can't use the Verizon iPhone 4S with domestic carriers (Sprint AT&T, T-mobile). Verizon will only unlock the sim for international use. IIRC, theres no jailbreak or unlock available for the 4S or IPad 2.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
That's what I was afraid of, might still be worth it since I spend most of my time in Canada. I thought that there was a jailbreak though...

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
No jb for a5 chips. Also, jb doesn't unlock. Perhaps you should read up on the difference. :rolleyes:
That's what I was afraid of, might still be worth it since I spend most of my time in Canada. I thought that there was a jailbreak though...

Last edited:

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
No untethered jb for a5 chips. Also, jb doesn't unlock. Perhaps you should read up on the difference. :rolleyes:

I realize that there is a difference, I was just hoping that there might be a tweak for ones that are already unlocked to make them work on domestic carriers.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
One other question since I might go ahead and buy it since it'll be used outside of the US most of the time, and I can just use it on Verizon when I'm in the US. For the official unlock, after we request it from Verizon, do you have to have a different SIM in it for the unlock to work?

I don't have a foreign micro sim right now, I'll need to get one when I go back to Canada so if I do need the foreign sim installed will the unlock still go through if we request the unlock, put my dad's old phone back on the line and then I restore the phone when I get the micro sim a few days later?

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
You would need a Canadian Micro SIM for it.

and would there be any problem if we request the unlock while the phone is on an active Verizon line and then put a different phone onto that line before restoring it with the Canadian Micro SIM?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
and would there be any problem if we request the unlock while the phone is on an active Verizon line and then put a different phone onto that line before restoring it with the Canadian Micro SIM?

No prob.
Once the GSM side is unlocked by verizon it doesnt make a difference what line its activated on currently or if you restore or if you use it later internationally.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Buy the 4S and have VZ unlock it for international use then sell it on CL for a pretty penny and buy a factory unlocked 4S. You will probably end up spending maybe $50 extra and won't have to worry about unlocking or jailbreaking.

Alex Barak

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
4S Crack Blog

placed a t-mobile micro sim card and powered on the phone. 4s prompts for activation by wifi, data or itunes. all 3 methods failed. removing T-mobile sim card would grant access to the phone and the network status displayed tmobile with 1 bar for a few seconds before Verizon takes over.

any serious suggestions?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
placed a t-mobile micro sim card and powered on the phone. 4s prompts for activation by wifi, data or itunes. all 3 methods failed. removing T-mobile sim card would grant access to the phone and the network status displayed tmobile with 1 bar for a few seconds before Verizon takes over.

any serious suggestions?

What part of you cannot use Tmobile USA or AT&T sims on a Verizon iphone you dont get?
They're unlocked for international use, not for US domestic carriers.

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

So I have a quick question. When I called Verizon to get it unlocked, they claimed that if I use it in Canada it will default to roaming on one of the CDMA networks and you can't force it to use the GSM side, is that true?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
So I have a quick question. When I called Verizon to get it unlocked, they claimed that if I use it in Canada it will default to roaming on one of the CDMA networks and you can't force it to use the GSM side, is that true?

No. Maybe he was thinking you will use a Verizon sim to roam international.
If you use a canadian carriers sim it will work and stay on GSM networks.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
One thing you can do is buy the Vzw iPhone, sell it, then buy an unlocked iPhone. Then you'll be able to use it on tmobile usa and canada

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
No. Maybe he was thinking you will use a Verizon sim to roam international.
If you use a canadian carriers sim it will work and stay on GSM networks.

Ok, I had him go through with the unlock anyway. I figured everything I read on the internet that it would work was probably right, and he was wrong so I'll see if it works up there. Just wanted confirmation that it would work.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Ok, I had him go through with the unlock anyway. I figured everything I read on the internet that it would work was probably right, and he was wrong so I'll see if it works up there. Just wanted confirmation that it would work.

I have a Verizon iPhone 4s and travel to canada often. When I'm there, I use a Rodgers prepaid sim. All you have to do is put the canadian sim in once you get there and it will switch over to the sim carrier. It will only roam on their CDMA carrier if you dont swap out the sim.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have a Verizon iPhone 4s and travel to canada often. When I'm there, I use a Rodgers prepaid sim. All you have to do is put the canadian sim in once you get there and it will switch over to the sim carrier. It will only roam on their CDMA carrier if you dont swap out the sim.

This.

I have a UK Virgin Mobile micro SIM and my 'unlocked' Verizon 4S will work on Verizon in the US and on Virgin Mobile in the UK.

Be aware that "activating" the foreign SIM card requires a data connection (either iTunes via USB or an open WiFi network); the phone checks with Verizon to see if it is allowed to use the foreign SIM card. But all you need to do is call Verizon global support to have them unlock the SIM card (as long as your account is in good standing).

In the US, if I put my Virgin Mobile SIM card in, it'll roam on AT&T's network (though using it would cost me international rates).

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

Good to confirm that, I was pretty sure the guy either was trying to sell an international roaming plan, or had no clue what he was talking about. I decided to cut down my Canadian sim into a micro sim, and I can confirm that my unlock worked and it started roaming on AT&T.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It seems to me that if you are in the states as frequently as you are, you should consider just buying factory unlocked. How much money do you stand to save, a couple 100 bucks, if that? Your plan for just using the Verizon phone when you are state side may not work. I am not sure, but I don't think they will all pay as you go on an iPhone. Money savings don't seem to be worth the potential headache. JMO of course. :)

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
It seems to me that if you are in the states as frequently as you are, you should consider just buying factory unlocked. How much money do you stand to save, a couple 100 bucks, if that? Your plan for just using the Verizon phone when you are state side may not work. I am not sure, but I don't think they will all pay as you go on an iPhone. Money savings don't seem to be worth the potential headache. JMO of course. :)

I get what you're saying, but I'm not in the US much at all, I go home for one three week break around Christmas, and maybe for a month or so in the summer. So the biggest deal for me is having it work out of the country. I always have my old 3G which is jailbroken and unlocked to use if I can't get the 4S back on verizon for a month.

But I do have one other question, if I want to use it on verizon again, does it need the Verizon roaming sim back in it or will it work on Verizon with no SIM?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I get what you're saying, but I'm not in the US much at all, I go home for one three week break around Christmas, and maybe for a month or so in the summer. So the biggest deal for me is having it work out of the country. I always have my old 3G which is jailbroken and unlocked to use if I can't get the 4S back on verizon for a month.

But I do have one other question, if I want to use it on verizon again, does it need the Verizon roaming sim back in it or will it work on Verizon with no SIM?

Based on the statement in bold, I wouldn't think twice. If you get a significant savings buying the Verizon 4S, by all means, go for it.

Alex Barak

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
lets try again

What part of you cannot use Tmobile USA or AT&T sims on a Verizon iphone you dont get?

no is not an answer, and nothing is impossible. change your prospective and rethink a better answer.

here are a few question;

do you know how to access and edit the IOS5
if so, what programs can we use on a pc.

serious answers please

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.