Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The 2012 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) kicks off next week in Las Vegas, Nevada. The January show has traditionally introduced new products and trends in the consumer electronics market. The LA Times notes, however, that there seems to be no single theme for this year's show.
This year, though, the Next Big Thing remains elusive. Despite what is expected to be a record number of exhibitors and attendees, many analysts agree that no single device or technology has emerged to define the show.
While Apple has never had a presence at CES, their general influence on the industry has been apparent in past shows. Third party vendors, of course, will be showing their Apple-related wares in the 80,000 sq. foot iLounge pavilion.

Here are a few early items of interest that we've seen in the news leading into the show.

Gorilla Glass 2

gorillaglass2-1325800748-500x332.jpg

Corning will be showing off their next generation of Gorilla Glass at the show. Apple is known to have used the damage-resistant Gorilla Glass in its original iPhone, and the company is believed to still be using it for their iPhone products.

Corning was vague about what improvements have been made to the glass, but hinted that it would allow for thinner designs. A full product announcement is planned for Monday, Jan 9th.

Vizio

The Wall Street Journal reports that television manufacturer Vizio Inc is planning to enter the PC market this year to compete against Apple on both price and looks.
Vizio, which also produces Blu-ray players and a tablet, says it worked on its computer designs for two years in attempts to offer an aesthetic that competes with Apple Inc.'s popular products but at a lower price.

Vizio says it spent months, for example, shaving millimeters from its desktop computer so the central processing chip could hide in a sleek base while the screen stands attached to its thin aluminum neck.
The company plans on unveiling 24- and 27-inch desktop models, a 15" laptop and 14 and 15-inch ultralight models at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show (CES). Engadget has a full gallery of their upcoming product line. The company claims that their products will be priced 'substantially less" than corresponding Apple products.

Nokia's Windows Phone

Nokia is expected to unveil their new Lumia 900 Windows Phone.

A NYTimes article details some of the challenges and sees 2012 as a crucial year for Microsoft's Windows Phone strategy.

Ultrabooks

Intel's Ultrabook initiative is expected to be highlighted at CES with new models being introduced. The MacBook Air-like design is expected to make up a large percentage of laptop designs in the near future.

Article Link: CES 2012 Kicks off Next Week: Gorilla Glass, Vizio, Windows Phone, Ultrabooks

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Interested in the gorilla glass and....that's about it!!
Unless Phillips is gonna have their moth eye led TVs which I think are the future of LEDs and is really cool!!
Imagine a 4 inch screen iPhone 5 with gorilla glass with moth eye technology from Sharp and Phillips :eek:

hegor

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2006
If Vizio's PC is anything like their TVs, Apple has nothing to worry about. Neither do other PC vendors.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
unless its just some fan mockup, the trackpad and keyboard for vizio must be a joke, it took a second glance to realize they weren't apple's products.

also i wouldn't call that monitors neck "aesthetically pleasing", looks like something thrown together on MS paint

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Hopefully the Lumina 900 won't look as trashy and cheap as pretty much every other Nokia phone I can remember. Metro is a great interface; cheap handsets would ruin it pretty quick.

I'm going to go on a limb and say that it will probably look similar to the very well designed Lumia 800 ;)

Tres

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2007
The LA Times notes, however, that there seems to be no single theme for this year's show.

Are they joking? The theme of CES since like 2008 has been terrible android devices.

CES 2012: What else can we cram Android into this year?

Personally I'm looking forward to about 150 new android tablets being announced, 15 of which will actually be produced and none of which will be any good.

Wolffie

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

All Vizio TV's seems to have muddy colors. I can spot Vizio 100% of the time because of the poor colors.
If this is true for their PC monitors, nobody will have to worry.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Are they joking? The theme of CES since like 2008 has been terrible android devices.

CES 2012: What else can we cram Android into this year?

Personally I'm looking forward to about 150 new android tablets being announced, 15 of which will actually be produced and none of which will be any good.

I think this is the year Android surpasses Windows on most installed devices of all time.

Sarcasm FYI, dont really hate Android, still neutral on it. Its on a lot of sh** though.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
If Vizio's PC is anything like their TVs, Apple has nothing to worry about. Neither do other PC vendors.

So what is your issue with Vizio t.v.'s? I have a few and am very happy with them. Picture quality v/s price is top notch IMHO.

I wouldn't buy a computer by them because I build my own but I see this thread turning into "vizio sucks, their computer looks like apple's" thread. It's ok to compete with apple, don't cry guys.

Last edited:

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Two years to design that piece of s*** looking desktop??!! LOL!!
Better get started on the refresh!

Good luck Vizio!

Last edited:

bearbear

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2008
The stuff there looks good to me, I don't know what you guys are talking about. Hopefully the build quality is up to speed as well.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Is it just me

Or does it seem like the theme is 50% stuff to go with your Apple stuff, and 50% we think is going to compete with what we think Apple is up to but probably won't cause the rumors were way off of the truth and most folks don't pay attention to CES anywat

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Or does it seem like the theme is 50% stuff to go with your Apple stuff, and 50% we think is going to compete with what we think Apple is up to but probably won't cause the rumors were way off of the truth and most folks don't pay attention to CES anywat

Your average consumer doesn't pay attention to CES. Tech websites do pay attention to CES and in turn some tech savvy consumers pay attention to tech websites.

The main things consumers pay attention to are commercials.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
The stuff there looks good to me, I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Remember this is an Apple forum. It's very fashionable to hate, trash, and generally act arrogant or condescending (you're holding it wrong) like the former CEO.

It's the Apple culture. While not practiced by everyone, it's still far too predominant for a successful influential company like Apple.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Here here. I thought that pic of the Vizio was for some new kind if TV/monitor thing, maybe their new thunderbolt TV or something; it got me kind of interested. I stop caring once I read the article. I don't think Vizio is going to stand a chance with their "me-too" designs and mediocre street cred.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
Hopefully the build quality is up to speed as well.

We'll see.. It'll be interesting to see what they'll price it at, and where they'll decide to cut corners (in terms of hardware)..

It's probably the best looking AIO attempt I've seen from a company that's not Apple. In fact, it's cleaner.

I dunno.. The display panel is not bad, but something about that neck just doesn't do it for me. Also, why put all the hardware in the base? Why not just go for the all in one?

And that keyboard doesn't seem like it's going to be very comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.