Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
ive had older generation ipods and iphones apart as well as htc's etc for screen replacements but never an iphone 4 so dont know what theyre like inside.
if you were to get the memory unit from a 32/64gb ip4 could i put it in an 8gb or is it part of the main board inside to stop people doing this?

my 8gb is full, if not ill sell and upgrade to a 64gb 4s. i went for an iphone 4 because i didnt need the features the 4s offered but didnt really consider the lack of memory having never coming close to fillign my 3gs but ive been using this one much more.

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
ive had older generation ipods and iphones apart as well as htc's etc for screen replacements but never an iphone 4 so dont know what theyre like inside.
if you were to get the memory unit from a 32/64gb ip4 could i put it in an 8gb or is it part of the main board inside to stop people doing this?

my 8gb is full, if not ill sell and upgrade to a 64gb 4s. i went for an iphone 4 because i didnt need the features the 4s offered but didnt really consider the lack of memory having never coming close to fillign my 3gs but ive been using this one much more.

It's part of the main board so no adding extra internal storage

Benchtech

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012

Everything is also so well packed into the iPhone even if it was possible you'd cause too much damage getting to it.

You're going to have to sell and upgrade it seems, unless you can rely on iTunes match and iCloud and keep your stuff stored in the cloud? I don't know what your data plan or speed is but it is an option.

Hope this helps,
Ben.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
pretty much what i thought, thats a shame. but i suppose it would be a bit of an error on apples part to make it easy to change it.

how much are 8gb 4's worth...?

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

On CL I've been seeing them go for around $300. Pretty good considering the 4 is almost 2 years old. Not toe room it's only 8GB. Should be able to fetch that if you have the box, etc.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
check ebay and craigs in your area you will get a good idea.. I don't think 8gb are to desirable same reason you found out. very much doubt you will get $300 16gb in my area barely get that..

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
its only 2 months old, absolutely mint with 2 official bumpers id chuck in. im based in the uk so craigslist is out for me really. id hope for more than £260 really :( if im honest id rather keep it for a spare than let it go for that.
another reaosn for going for the 4 over the 4s was £5/month saving for the same amount of minutes and data which seemed like a big deal at the time...

----------

Everything is also so well packed into the iPhone even if it was possible you'd cause too much damage getting to it.

You're going to have to sell and upgrade it seems, unless you can rely on iTunes match and iCloud and keep your stuff stored in the cloud? I don't know what your data plan or speed is but it is an option.

Hope this helps,
Ben.

lets hope i can get one apart without damaging it, im replacing a cracked screen on one next week! ive studied electrical engineering as part of my engineering degree so im capable of repairing electrical items hence considering swapping out the memory

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.