Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2012: AR Drone 2.0, OCZ External Thunderbolt SSD

A few more interesting items are starting to leak out ahead of CES 2012.

AR Drone 2.0

Engadget publishes a press release for Parrot's new AR Drone 2.0 which sports a 720P HD Camera. The original AR Drone was shown off at CES 2010. It's an iPhone-controlled quadricoptor that uses a number of sensors, including a downward facing camera, to help stabilize its flight. You control the flying machine with the use of your iPhone.

The 2.0 upgrade now offers a 1280x720 resolution camera that can be used to record videos as well as new flight control modes to allow for easier handling. Per Gizmodo:
Quote:
Perhaps best of all, it's now even easier to pilot. Before you had to rely on the camera to know which way the AR.Drone was facing, and then send commands from the drone's perspective. That option is still available for advanced users, but the AR.Drone 2 now senses where you are, so tilting your phone/tablet away from you will send the drone away, and tilting it to your right will make the drone go that way, too. It's incredibly intuitive.
The 2.0 version of the AR Drone will be $299 and available in the 2nd Quarter of 2012. This video shows the original AR Drone in action:

OCZ Thunderbolt SSD

PCPer spotted this new external SSD coming from OCZ. The company had previously offered a similar external USB 3.0 SSD, but this new model brings Thunderbolt support.

According to OCZ, the Thunderbolt-equipped SSD should have transfer rates as high as 750MB/s and "improved latency and highly accurate time synchronization" for professional audio/video work. No timeframe on release, but more details may arrive at next week.

Article Link: CES 2012: AR Drone 2.0, OCZ External Thunderbolt SSD
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:18 PM   #2
blow45
Banned

that ssd will sure cost an arm and a leg, very cool flying thingy though!

edit: btw, it might a good idea to elaborate just a bit on what a quadricopter is because it's in no way apparent...
blow45 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Canaan
macrumors member

Hopefully the SSD isn't overly expensive. Also can't wait until Seagate offers an attachment for their GoFlex Drives.
Canaan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:22 PM   #4
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MacBookPro13" Send a message via Skype™ to MacBookPro13"
Arn, do you ever get off the computer bro!?
MacBookPro13" is offline   -12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Krazy Bill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan View Post
Hopefully the SSD isn't overly expensive.
Get ready to sell off one of your kids as an indentured servant for 7 years.

Seriously. External TB drives will cost much more than internal SSD's do now. (which most find out of their price reach).
Krazy Bill is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:23 PM   #6
blow45
Banned

the thing I can't wait about is a 3tb hd with an ssd, a hybrid drive that is, to breath some new life into my imac in terms of speed. SSD's are still very expensive... I was hoping their price would drop a bit, and it is dropping, but extremely slowly for most of us.
blow45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:25 PM   #7
ri0ku
macrumors 6502a

oh man if the thunderbolt ssd's are bootable I'm gonna be soooo happy. I bought an iMac but couldn't afford the internal ssd. So a few months down the line when money is saved an external drive would be great if its bootable since it will read faster than the 7200rpm hdd.
ri0ku is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:29 PM   #8
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0ku View Post
oh man if the thunderbolt ssd's are bootable I'm gonna be soooo happy. I bought an iMac but couldn't afford the internal ssd. So a few months down the line when money is saved an external drive would be great if its bootable since it will read faster than the 7200rpm hdd.
Same!
KylePowers is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:31 PM   #9
Munkypoo7
macrumors 6502

Of all the possible SSD manufacturers / redistributors, why did it have to be OCZ?

Corsair, Crucial, Mushkin, Intel, Patriot, Kingston... pretty much any other company would have been a better option. All the aforementioned companies [as well as others, those are just off the top of my head] have great customer support and products that seem to last longer than anything OCZ puts out. Not to mention OCZ's Customer support isn't really worth a spit in comparison to Corsair, Mushkin etc.

Nice idea, but I'll gladly wait for a better company to implement a Thunderbolt SSD.
Munkypoo7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:31 PM   #10
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Unless it has another thunderbolt port on the other side (hard to tell from the pics), then massive FAIL.

Really need to have the dual ports to allow for daisy chaining and/or a MDP display at the end.
iVoid is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:34 PM   #11
ri0ku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVoid View Post
Unless it has another thunderbolt port on the other side (hard to tell from the pics), then massive FAIL.

Really need to have the dual ports to allow for daisy chaining and/or a MDP display at the end.
its the cables that have the 2 endings. The devices don't need 2 thunderbolt ports to do this. At least I think thats right ? :S
ri0ku is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Duncan-UK
macrumors member

Quote:

Massive (or should that be epic) FAIL to anyone who uses the expression "massive FAIL"...
Duncan-UK is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:51 PM   #13
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Send a message via MSN to MacBookPro13" Send a message via Skype™ to MacBookPro13"
Don't rate my post's down please!
MacBookPro13" is offline   -43 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:57 PM   #14
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Cool but more range and resolution...

This is really cool but I would like more range (1,000') and resolution (10Mpixel) to make it really useful.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:15 PM   #15
admanimal
macrumors 68040

Quote:
its the cables that have the 2 endings. The devices don't need 2 thunderbolt ports to do this. At least I think thats right ? :S
You are mistaken. The devices need to have 2 ports, just like with Firewire.

Quote:
oh man if the thunderbolt ssd's are bootable I'm gonna be soooo happy.
Thunderbolt drives in general are bootable, so there's no reason to think this one won't be.
admanimal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:21 PM   #16
spencers
macrumors 68020

And the OCZ will die abruptly 2 weeks after purchase.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:30 PM   #17
ri0ku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post
You are mistaken. The devices need to have 2 ports, just like with Firewire.

Thunderbolt drives in general are bootable, so there's no reason to think this one won't be.
Ah right thanks for the info. Thats fantastic that they are bootable. Guess I will be using one for the OS drive when there available, and use the internal 1tb in the iMac for data.

Very happy about that.
ri0ku is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:31 PM   #18
laxman101
macrumors regular

Finally something else in the thunderbolt arena. Hopefully we will see some more accessories at CES.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:51 PM   #19
nagromme
macrumors G4

"Additionally, with the "travelling" feature, the pilot can film HD video sequences like a professional! Simply select the direction of travel (forward, back, sideways) and the duration, and the AR.Drone 2.0 does the rest."

That actually sounds really awesome for home filmmakers/video makers. A cheap way to get a smooth “crane shot” from an impossible angle. Then dub in the audio later when you edit it together with other footage.

I really hope AR.Drone 2.0 transmits a smooth frame-rate; the jerkiness of the image was my main complaint that made me hold off on buying 1.0.

I’m thinking that’s probably been addressed: there’s no sense in recording HD video if the framerate isn’t smooth, and if it’s a wireless data bottleneck, HD would actually make things worse. And I doubt the thing has on board storage sufficient to gather HD footage for later retrieval, so it must be transmitting to the iPhone for recording.

The “third person” flight controls sound great too. I await reviews with an open wallet!
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 06:52 PM   #20
MacBookPro13"
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBookPro13" View Post
Don't rate my post's down please!
Haha you fell for it
MacBookPro13" is offline   -14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:11 PM   #21
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Glad to see a company take advantage of Thunderbolt and release an external SSD but what I'm really looking forward to is a bare Thunderbolt equipped external enclosure that can be configured in anyway the user wants with HDDs and/or SSDs.
iMikeT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:25 PM   #22
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
PCPer spotted this new external SSD coming from OCZ. The company had previously offered a similar external USB 3.0 SSD, but this new model brings Thunderbolt support.

According to OCZ, the Thunderbolt-equipped SSD should have transfer rates as high as 750MB/s and "improved latency and highly accurate time synchronization" for professional audio/video work. No timeframe on release, but more details may arrive at next week.
Oh PLEASE be reasonably priced!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:39 PM   #23
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Oh I can't wait to get the 2.0 Drone. Love my 1.0 Drone
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:58 PM   #24
MrThomas8110
macrumors newbie

Sleek looking drive. If it releases with a tb model i'd buy it, but it would have to cost no more than $400. I thinks that's reasonable especially since USB 3.0 1 tb drive are about $120.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 08:09 PM   #25
LFMNX
macrumors regular

Quote:

I suppose you could always put it at the end of your thunderbolt chain and therefore not require two ports.
LFMNX is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion