Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ion Audio's original iPad iCade started life as a ThinkGeek April Fool's joke but has since become one of the most well supported iOS game controller accessories. If you aren't familiar with it, it was a small arcade cabinet stand that allowed you to prop your iPad up and play games using a real joystick and buttons. The company behind the iPad gaming accessory has now announced that they have expanded to three new models to service a broader range of iOS devices.

iCade Core - Pictured on the top right, the iCade Core offers a stripped down version of the original iCade cabinet and supports the iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Like the original iCade, the iCade Core lets you play your iOS games with a real joystick and buttons. Communication is done through Bluetooth, but a 30-pin connector is included to allow for charging while playing. No pricing yet for this slimmed down version.

iCade Mobile - Pictured top left, the iCade Mobile is a device that wraps around the iPhone or iPod Touch to give you more of a mobile handheld gaming experience. Again, using Bluetooth alone for the communication, it offers a swiveling landscape or portrait orientation. This one will cost $79.99 when it becomes available this spring. Engadget took this video showing it in motion.

iCade Jr. - Pictured below, the iCade Jr. is a shrunk down version of the original iCade. This version is made specifically for the iPhone or iPod Touch and lets you prop up your device in this miniaturized arcade cabinet. It comes with an arcade joystick and 4 front facing buttons a 4 rear facing buttons. It also offers a dock connector for charging. This one is expected to cost $49, again coming in spring.

There have been other similar mobile gaming accessories for iOS devices, but the iCade seems to be the one that has garnered the most support amongst gaming developers. The new devices will likely be directly compatible with the existing list of iCade compatible games.

The most notable titles include Atari's Greatest Hits, Pac Man for iPad, Temple Run and iMAME (no longer available).

Article Link: CES 2012: iCade iOS Game Controller Expands to iCade Jr., iCade Mobile, and iCade Core

Last edited:

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
standards.png

I'd hate for there to be a lot of competing iOS controllers.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
That iCade Mobile made me triple-take. Thought I was looking at a new iPhone or iTouch for a moment.

Kinda looked nice...

sp00

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2009
They need to come down in price and I want the standard that support dual analog sticks. Since it really just a keyboard being remapped, I guess each game can have a config mode to setup the keyboard. Although that might get annoying having to setup each game.

hinchesk

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2007
Canada
Still using Bluetooth?

Why are they still on Bluetooth? If Atari can get a dock connector working these guys should be able to.

Maybe they'll get there once Apple finishes their work on making it easier for 3rd parties to use the dock connector.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Why are they still on Bluetooth? If Atari can get a dock connector working these guys should be able to.

Maybe they'll get there once Apple finishes their work on making it easier for 3rd parties to use the dock connector.

Hardware makers must pay a royalty fee to use the dock connector. Plus it makes an enclosed design more complicated. Especially if it has to accommodate multiple devices.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
Looks great, i'll be picking one of the juniors up and maybe even the mobile. Does anyone has an ETA on these?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If Apple do not get of their backsides fast and release an official Bluetooth games controller for use the their iOS products, this is all going to turn into a mess which means there will too too many products for devs to support and will be screwed.

Just bring something out official asap, everyone will comply with the official standard and it will tidy it up before a giant mess can happen.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Nice. I like the iCade more than I expected I would. And more iCade models = more iCade support in games!

The little one looks tippy unless you’re a very gentle gamer! But at $49, I’d choose it as my charging dock, and just think of the stick/buttons/cabinet as just a fun added novelty factor.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
GTA + iCade Mobile

Just make GTA III compatible with iCade Mobile and I might consider buying both. Although I must say, it would be pretty funny playing GTA on the other iCades too with that joystick and buttons.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Very interesting. I'm surprised at how much interest there is in Apple iDevices for gaming since Apple and gaming have not had much of a run together over the decades.

It's like a breath of fresh air. :)

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
This will probably never happen, but I wish Apple would buy these guys out with pocket change and release some standardised game controller accessories for iOS devices. So many FPS style games suffer with touch based controls, and it would give developers a standard external interface to rally behind.

One can dream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.