Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 9, 2012, 01:36 PM   #1
RandomHavoc
macrumors member

2 iTunes libraries (2 user id's) on 1 Mac. How to merge?

Alright, Apple's official forums page has failed me completely, here's hoping you guys can best them!

I have 2 user id's on my MacBook. I'm planning on getting rid of one. I've consolidated everything else I need to onto 1 user account, except I don't know how to do it with my itunes libraries. I would guess I could do it by putting something into the shared folder, but I really don't want to mess this up. I want to keep not only the songs but I also want to keep all the playlists.

Any and all suggestions very welcome. Thanks.

Oh, and I'm running on Lion with up to date iTunes.
RandomHavoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 02:35 PM   #2
Apple Key
macrumors 6502a

Copy the folder ~/Music/iTunes Music folder from your old user account A to user account B (place it on the desktop).

Then drag that folder onto your iTunes library and it will add the music to your library.

As far as the playlists. You need to select each playlist one-by-one, and click File > Library > Export Playlist... and choose M3U as the format. Then in user account B just open all of the M3U files or choose File > Library > Import Playlist.
Apple Key is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:40 PM   #3
RandomHavoc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Key View Post
Copy the folder ~/Music/iTunes Music folder from your old user account A to user account B (place it on the desktop).

Then drag that folder onto your iTunes library and it will add the music to your library.

As far as the playlists. You need to select each playlist one-by-one, and click File > Library > Export Playlist... and choose M3U as the format. Then in user account B just open all of the M3U files or choose File > Library > Import Playlist.

I've tried this now, and it all worked EXCEPT that when I import the M3U files into account B it imported nothing except the title, no songs inside (which obviously is useless).
Can anyone tell me how to do this so I don't have to rebuild every playlist? PLEASE! Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
njain
macrumors member

export the playlists as xml instead. this worked for me when i got a new computer
njain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
RandomHavoc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njain View Post
export the playlists as xml instead. this worked for me when i got a new computer
Perfect! Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store