Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
As for customer loyalty, Verizon recently noted something similar to what AT&T has said before: 80% of new iPhone sales are to previous owners.

Really? You'd think that most iPhone 4 customers are still locked into plans (assuming that many are on plans)... And so the upgrades are from 3G/3GS customers rolling off of their plans. Looking at the historical numbers, the 3G/3GS number from 2009 aren't that high (compared to the iPhone 4 numbers). Interesting.

Last edited:

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
No one can touch Apples great marketing machine.

I hope you're not trying to attribute Apple's success to marketing alone or "brand" consciousness. All the customer satisfaction surveys out there consistently indicate that there's more to it than marketing, but even more to the point is that Apple has had plenty of failed products, even recent ones. If it's all about marketing, that should never happen.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I hope you're not trying to attribute Apple's success to marketing alone or "brand" consciousness. All the customer satisfaction surveys out there consistently indicate that there's more to it than marketing, but even more to the point is that Apple has had plenty of failed products, even recent ones. If it's all about marketing, that should never happen.

Why some posts are interpreted as negative is baffling.

I was crediting Apples brilliant marketing. Anyone with common sense, and the years of Apple experience like I have, knows there are many elements that factor into success.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Why some posts are interpreted as negative is baffling.

Because it's a common claim that Apple's success is all marketing. I didn't mean anything personal by that, and I did preface it with "I hope you're not..." I wasn't assuming anything about your actual opinion. :)

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Yeah I hope all the samsung loses all their % and the rest of the companies too. Apple should have 100% market share and no competition.

That means we'll be paying $3000 for a ****** black and white phone cause Apple doesn't have to do anything because there is no competition. That would be great for everyone

steve_bigbrother_jobs.jpg

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
As for customer loyalty, Verizon recently noted something similar to what AT&T has said before: 80% of new iPhone sales are to previous owners.

So basically the carriers have built up a core iPhone user group that they can depend on to keep buying for themselves and their family.

At the same time, Android phones are selling about twice as fast as iOS phones, so intuitively it seems that new customers are going that way.

Umm, the report was that 80% of Verizon's iPhone sales were to existing Verizon customers, not existing iPhone owners. It's about how many are switching carriers, and said nothing about how many were switching platforms.

However: Since Verizon has offered the iPhone for less than a year, that means it's a pretty safe bet that practically all of that 80% who were already Verizon customers were upgrading from something other than an iPhone -- which is quite the opposite of what you were saying.

The iPhone market is still growing by leaps and bounds, as today's other news stories also indicated.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
At the same time, Android phones are selling about twice as fast as iOS phones, so intuitively it seems that new customers are going that way.

Umm, the report was that 80% of Verizon's iPhone sales were to existing Verizon customers, not existing iPhone owners.
The iPhone market is still growing by leaps and bounds, as today's other news stories also indicated.

Yup. If it's mostly the previous iPhone owners (the "core" Apple buyers) buying up the new iPhones as kdarling, like many others on the internet, has claimed, "intuitively" it must mean the iPhone sales is growing at a slow pace because it is not gaining that many new users. But that's clearly far from what's actually happening. I'm just puzzled how even seemingly intelligent people can make such ridiculous assertion that's so easy to dispute with available data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.