Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omppuhauki

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2011
Hi

I spent a long time searching for solution, and now that I finally found it, I thought to share it with you.

Problem: 64-bit Lion and Huawei 3G USB modem (I have model E1762) drivers.

Solution:
Unzip attached lion_huawei_driver.zip

Copy to correct directory
sudo cp -r HuaweiDataCardACMData.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

load manually
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/HuaweiDataCardACMData.kext/

check the module loaded
kextstat|grep -i hua
135 0 0xffffff7f810fc000 0x7000 0x7000 com.huawei.driver.HuaweiDataCardACMData (4.05.00) <79 30 5 4 3 1>

After reboot loads automatically after connecting 3G modem

Module creates following devices

crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 16 Aug 1 11:10 /dev/tty.HUAWEIMobile-Pcui
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 12 Aug 1 11:10 /dev/tty.HUAWEIMobile-Modem
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 14 Aug 1 11:10 /dev/tty.HUAWEIMobile-Diag

Configure PPP using MAC's own dialer

network preferences -> HUAWEIMobile-Modem -> tel.number -> *99**1#
-> advanced:
vendor generic
model gprs gsm 3g
apn internet (may vary, check your carrier)

The attached driver is originally from following huawei URL. I have dug out the required kext and included it in the zip.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/resourc...river(4.16.00.00)(for+Mac+OS+X+10.4-10.6).zip

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Huawei+Mac+OS#fbid=YcaAdpK-XKT

Attachments

• lion_huawei_driver.zip
    254.2 KB · Views: 8,592

baucis99

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Hi,

I tried to do what you wrote but to no avail.

I use a operator customized stick e1762 from the German MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) Bildmobil. It's a Vodafone based service and uses the Vodafone Germany APN.

Right now, the - as I first thought - working alternative - is the launch2net premium software, but this costs EUR 50.
It's working, there is a trial period, but I am hesitant to spend 50 EUROS on something that was for free before.

Now I installed the Huawei original software, Mobile Partner, Version: 11.301.10.00.03, but there is one problem:

If you stick the USB modem in, it automatically installs the Bildmobil software under Programs.
If you then install the Mobile partner software and keep the stick in, the Mobile partner software works fine.
But if you remove the stick and then later stick it back in it seems to overwrite some configuration files and the Mobile Partner software can not detect the stick anymore.

I tried to disable the "Auto-install/Auto-Play" functionality of the stick, but could not find out how to do this. This disablement only works under Windows.
Plus I want to mount the device but disable the "Auto-xxx"- functionality.
I could not find a way to do this.

I also found no way to "protect" the configuration files of the Mobile Partner software against overwriting, since I don't know which configuration files are originally written to my Mac.

Do you know how to disable the "auto-install"? Because then the Mobile Partner software works great and is better than the Bildmobil software.

Cheers

baucis99

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Huawei drivers are 64 bit since Snow Leopard and work just fine on Lion. Why do you need this hack at all?

Try this: http://cl.ly/3f2o1Y3P152v413R3Z2D (latest version available).

P.S. I always use *99# and it works fine always.

Hi Jerome,

my existing Mobile Partner software - thnx for the link - already works.
But once I stick in the USB modem it overwrites the configuration files with the software from the stick (Bildmobil) and then it cannot detect the USB modem any more.

The question is: How do I prevent the USB modem with the non-Lion compatible software (Bildmobil) on it to install over an existing working software (ie. yours from the link)
The modem must mount to be detected, but I can't turn off the auto-install.

Is there a way to erase the software from the stick? Maybe by changing the firmware?

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Jerome,

my existing Mobile Partner software - thnx for the link - already works.
But once I stick in the USB modem it overwrites the configuration files with the software from the stick (Bildmobil) and then it cannot detect the USB modem any more.

The question is: How do I prevent the USB modem with the non-Lion compatible software (Bildmobil) on it to install over an existing working software (ie. yours from the link)
The modem must mount to be detected, but I can't turn off the auto-install.

Is there a way to erase the software from the stick? Maybe by changing the firmware?

Mine E1550 never auto-installs. How could it, it's not Windows with autorun. I suggest you upgrade the firmware to the latest if your provider has it and unlock the modem. I also suggest not to use Mobile Partner software.

baucis99

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Mine E1550 never auto-installs. How could it, it's not Windows with autorun. I suggest you upgrade the firmware to the latest if your provider has it and unlock the modem. I also suggest not to use Mobile Partner software.

Hi Jerome,

i think there is a misunderstanding here.
Once I stick in the E1762 it changes configuration file and can't detect the modem any more.
I delete the application (Mobile Partner) and re-install it while USB stick remains plugged in. Then open Mobile Partner application and yippee!!!! modem is detected and everything works.

The link you send me doesn't install something like Mobile Partner software found under applications. Does it just install the Huawei modem under System Preferences/Network?

Could you please explain how this can directly cooperate with the stick without using Mobile Partner software. Then that would solve my problem because the stick is accessed via network settings and using the connect button there.

Cheers

baucis99

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Hi,

i can't understand this part. Maybe it's some nasty firmware you have there? When i connect my modem it just mounts memory storage onboard the modem, that's it.

Hi Jerome,

I got it working.

I deleted any existing Huawei Modem/Diag/PCUI from System Preference/Network.
I deleted the working Mobile Partner software (see above) and I deleted the Bildmobil software from Programs.

I then installed the software from your link.

I went to System Preference/Network again and pressed the "+"-button and added the Huawei modem with the necessary settings.
Also added the DNS settings.

And it works. No matter ho often I pull out or stick in the Modem it always connects. No need for Mobile Partner software anymore.

Thnx Jerome.

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Jerome,

I got it working.

I deleted any existing Huawei Modem/Diag/PCUI from System Preference/Network.
I deleted the working Mobile Partner software (see above) and I deleted the Bildmobil software from Programs.

I then installed the software from your link.

I went to System Preference/Network again and pressed the "+"-button and added the Huawei modem with the necessary settings.
Also added the DNS settings.

And it works. No matter ho often I pull out or stick in the Modem it always connects. No need for Mobile Partner software anymore.

Thnx Jerome.

Great. That's the newest driver (only). That mobile partner software is terrible.

Also you can try CheetahWatch: http://thepatrick.com.au/cheetahwatch/ - it has some nice features also if you need to switch from 2G to 3G and vice versa it can do that.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I tried to disable the "Auto-install/Auto-Play" functionality of the stick, but could not find out how to do this. This disablement only works under Windows.
Plus I want to mount the device but disable the "Auto-xxx"- functionality.
I could not find a way to do this.
Put the software/drivers you like on an SD card and insert.
(The old ones from the virtual drive often don't work anyway).
Then disable automount of the virtual drive by sending AT command to the modem*:

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Huawei+AT-commands#fbid=ZpKErufdCg7

You can also do this in Mac OS X. I have done it myself (in 10.6), though I admit I have forgotten how I actually did it. Not sure, if this worked:

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/executing+AT-commands+under+MacOS

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
[...] I also suggest not to use Mobile Partner software.

Are there any pros using the software/driver you linked to over Mobile Partner, such as speed/ping gains?

My biggest issue seems to be with my provider implementing QoS congestion measures on late afternoons/evenings but I guess that's more of a "need to look into some kind of VPN" in order to fix ping/speed etc? Tried the free HotspotShield and tried an old WoW install just to test. Evening ping went from 4k+ ms (around 80-150ms in the morning) down to around 500ms. Not good either but something seems to be going on with my ISP.

I currently use Mobile Partner with Three/3 here in Sweden. Apart from a slightly panic-y Lion install due to no pre-installed java, the version that came on the modem is now up and running on 10.7. There are claims of an upcoming version for Lion, but it's not out yet afaik. :/

Surfing etc seems ok, speed wise. 7-15Mbps, depending on time of day (my connection is "up to 32 Mbps" but that lofty claim is for a different thread. :p My modem specs say up to 21Mbps - minus error correction overhead etc).

I'm using Huawei E367 (WCDMA/HSPA+), by the way.

[EDIT: There's a 4.25.17.00 version here + some kind of client software. Haven't tested either.]

[EDIT 2: Client is Mobile Partner 2.0.1, same version that came on my modem. The driver in the client package is the same as above, 4.25.17.00 and installed fine.]

Last edited:

Jerome Morrow

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for posting that link. But what exactly is this and where does it come from? It's just that I don't like installing software that comes from sources I cannot verify...

This is latest driver from Huawei. They provide it with newer modems. I just took the installer of thr driver from all that big package. Smaller footprint.

----------

Are there any pros using the software/driver you linked to over Mobile Partner, such as speed/ping gains?

My biggest issue seems to be with my provider implementing QoS congestion measures on late afternoons/evenings but I guess that's more of a "need to look into some kind of VPN" in order to fix ping/speed etc? Tried the free HotspotShield and tried an old WoW install just to test. Evening ping went from 4k+ ms (around 80-150ms in the morning) down to around 500ms. Not good either but something seems to be going on with my ISP.

I currently use Mobile Partner with Three/3 here in Sweden. Apart from a slightly panic-y Lion install due to no pre-installed java, the version that came on the modem is now up and running on 10.7. There are claims of an upcoming version for Lion, but it's not out yet afaik. :/

Surfing etc seems ok, speed wise. 7-15Mbps, depending on time of day (my connection is "up to 32 Mbps" but that lofty claim is for a different thread. :p My modem specs say up to 21Mbps - minus error correction overhead etc).

I'm using Huawei E367 (WCDMA/HSPA+), by the way.

[EDiT: There's a 4.25.17.00 version here + some kind of client software. Haven't tested either.]

Mobile Partner is just a free software they ship with the modem. It's not very good and it's Java. This is just a separate installer for the driver only.

blipmusic

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2011
I just took the installer of thr driver from all that big package. Smaller footprint. [...] Mobile Partner is just a free software they ship with the modem. It's not very good and it's Java. This is just a separate installer for the driver only.

Woops, just noticed, thanks for the heads up. Checked the client package (which was just the same version of Mobile Partner I have installed, v2.0.1) and packed inside was the same driver version I linked to, seemingly a maintenance update/bug fix of the on you linked to earlier.

I'll try setting up my connection without that app.

Anyway, both the previous version of the driver (4.24...something) and the one I just installed (4.25.17.00) both work ok in Lion.

[EDIT: Weee. Mobile Partner free and connected.]

[EDIT 2: By the way don't forget to disable PIN verification from within Mobile Partner or whatever app you're connecting with before uninstalling.]

Last edited:

Spacemarine

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
This is latest driver from Huawei. They provide it with newer modems. I just took the installer of thr driver from all that big package. Smaller footprint.

It seems to me that the newest version is 4.25.17.00 from 2011-06-08. This is even newer than you package (and also originates directly from the manufacturer) You can download it directly from http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/technicaIndex.do?method=gotoProductSupport&productId=3766&tb=0
as already quoted by blipmusic.

The package "HUAWEI UMTS Data Cards Driver" seems to only contain the drivers, no other programs.

I installed this driver and it works for my Huawei E1750 USB-Stick. However, Cheetahwatch isn't able to show me any statistics, although it can successfully connect and disconnect.

-----
Edit: I wrote this post before I read the post from blipmusic... So in part it is redundant.

BIG360

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2011
Hello together,

can somebody tell me which data i should fill in the fields? I have the same problem with bildmobil and MacOs Lion.
I installed the software from Jeromes link and then i would like to fill in the fields: telephonenumber, user, password and DNS Settings?

Stefan

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Put the software/drivers you like on an SD card and insert.
(The old ones from the virtual drive often don't work anyway).
Then disable automount of the virtual drive by sending AT command to the modem*:

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Huawei+AT-commands#fbid=ZpKErufdCg7

You can also do this in Mac OS X. I have done it myself (in 10.6), though I admit I have forgotten how I actually did it. Not sure, if this worked:

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/executing+AT-commands+under+MacOS

I know this Thread was already archived but it helped Me a lot.

Thanks AppliedMicro, finally I am liberated from this awful awful Java software from Huawei.

The problem was it always auto mounted the driver and looked if Mobile Partner was installed, if not it would start the whole Install prcedure again so I could not delete it.

Who do Huawei think We Apple users are,We are not that stupid and can easily connect ourselves without that Mobile Partner.
And if You need a good FREE program to log Your usage download and install SurplusMeter and Put it into Login Items in System Preferences Accounts.

I have a Huawei 153 and with Zterm App I used this command to only have the Modem and MemoryCard enabled.
(Sending a Command with Mobile Partner didn't work--Zterm is PPC App only so You have to find a different way, I think You can do it also in Terminal but You have to find out Yourself)

AT^U2DIAG=256 (Its on the Bold Link above)

But that's how it worked for Me, don't blaim Me if you F up, I think you can undo it by sending the same Command again.

Cheers

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
mine works with lion i just had to update. i wouldnt use this if there was another option where i am at trust me. in a couple months its back to normal internet anyways. but i hate using these crappy usb sticks.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
How can these modems function in mountain lion, when all its driver's libraries are in 32bit?

Fuzzy.Dunlop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
London
Anyone got any tips on how to get an ETS1220 to work :confused: Driving me crazy and I cant download a lot as i'm in Libya with a less than dial up speed

legweg

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
thanks omppuhauki your solution works like a charm on my imac with OS 10.8.2 and my old Huawei E220 which I now use with sms server tools 3.
I have one question though !

each time I plug my modem in, OSX display a dialog window saying :
"the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer
[ignore] [eject]".

I ignore and everything works fine, but would anybody know how to get rid of this dialog ???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.