Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Report of Hands-On with iPad 3 Rear Shell and Other Components

iLounge, which just last week updated its claims regarding details of the next-generation iPad with mention of improved cameras, today reports that it has viewed what appear to be at least prototype parts for the device.

The parts, which seem to include the rear shell and front glass bezel, reportedly corroborate iLounge's earlier claims of an almost imperceptibly thicker body and an upgraded iPhone-like rear camera.
Quote:
The new iPad's body is so slightly thicker than the iPad 2 that the change is unnoticeable on first inspection; a roughly 1mm increase will barely be perceptible to users. We've heard that the only accessories that might have issues are cases, and then, only cases that were precisely contoured to fit the iPad 2's back. On the rear, the camera in the upper left corner has become bigger--noticeably so when placed alongside the iPad 2, but not so huge that anyone would think they were different at a distance. The new camera hole is silver-ringed, and does in fact look the same size as the iPhone 4S's much-improved rear camera system, minus the LED flash.
iLounge's Jeremy Horwitz reports that some accessory manufacturers are claiming that the iPad 3 will come with a slightly smaller screen, but a front glass bezel seen by Horwitz fails to support that notion. Otherwise, the locations of all external features of the iPad 3 remain identical to those on the iPad 2.

Previous leak of claimed iPad 3 display
Horwitz cautions that the rear shell part he was able to view seems to have been produced at least six months ago and thus may not represent the final design for the next-generation iPad, which he notes could be called the iPad 3 or perhaps some variation on the iPad 2 name. But the parts do apparently support iLounge's existing claims of Apple's design tweaks for the next-generation iPad, which many are expecting to debut around March of this year.

Article Link: Report of Hands-On with iPad 3 Rear Shell and Other Components
MacRumors is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:51 AM   #2
veddies13
macrumors newbie

Surprised no one has kicked around the S yet...

iPad 2S?
veddies13 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:51 AM   #3
applesith
macrumors 68000

Credit card so ready for this!!!
applesith is offline   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:55 AM   #4
lord patton
macrumors 65816

Could be an equisitely timed attempt to draw clicks to their CES coverage.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
ThatsMeRight
macrumors 68020

So unfortunately, we still know very little. If this is indeed a prototype shell from over 6 months ago, than everything can happen regarding design when Apple announces the iPad 3.

First if was reported that the dual led bar required some extra space (thus the 1 mm extra), but later on it was also reported that they solved the issue and that the next generation iPad will indeed be thinner.

Well, my hopes are up for a great iPad launch with retina display.
ThatsMeRight is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:56 AM   #6
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

I think its a prototype that failed, like the iPhone 5. I doubt that the thicker design will be allowed through, and especially since there are new tablet makers boasting thinner designs. I don't think that this will go through. But even if it was thicker, I would like it. That means that it would pack more goodness, and a larger surface area for a good tablet.
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error

Last edited by adildacoolset; Jan 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: GETTING DOWN-VOTED SO MUCH?
adildacoolset is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Riiiight. Some 3rd party manufacturers are claiming a slightly smaller screen just like they claimed the iPhone 5...er 4S would be tapered with a bigger screen.

AFAIC a smaller screen (if there is just one size as I assume there will be) is a fail, but I don't think Apple would do that so no worries. The improvements I need to see though are better resolution and lighter weight. I don't really care about improved camera quality or if it's slightly thicker.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:01 AM   #8
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Lol, apple haters are haters. When they launch a phone, they want it to be bigger. When they launch a tablet, they want it to be smaller. And the companies that are making their stuff are converting phones to tablets, and tablets to phones. Just popped up into my head

Last edited by adildacoolset; Jan 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added a bit more and corrected a typo
adildacoolset is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:08 AM   #9
inickcullum
macrumors newbie

Seen this on Podcast,
Might be my first iPad if it looks & beats all the other tablets who like to copy apple
inickcullum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

I know it is incredibly superficial but adding even one millimeter will not be acceptable. We are still in the middle of the "thin is in" race. Other manufacturers are shaving away at those millimeters Apple will be expected to do so as well.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Mjmar
macrumors 65816

My only concern is whether or not it will have a retina display.
Mjmar is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:11 AM   #12
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMeRight View Post
So unfortunately, we still know very little. If this is indeed a prototype shell from over 6 months ago, than everything can happen regarding design when Apple announces the iPad 3.

First if was reported that the dual led bar required some extra space (thus the 1 mm extra), but later on it was also reported that they solved the issue and that the next generation iPad will indeed be thinner.

Well, my hopes are up for a great iPad launch with retina display.
Exactly, that must have been a dual light bar prototype, before they put IGZO. Remember, there used to be rumours about them considering dual light bar or dual sets on a single chip. They must have demoed each one and trailed. Then hopefully IGZO was the answer.
adildacoolset is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:12 AM   #13
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmunch View Post
I know it is incredibly superficial but adding even one millimeter will not be acceptable. We are still in the middle of the "thin is in" race. Other manufacturers are shaving away at those millimeters Apple will be expected to do so as well.
who cares if it's 1MM thicker. Apple still has better software and a better ecosystem as well as better support and a better looking product.

let's see "other manufacturers" get that down pact.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:14 AM   #14
Skika
macrumors 68020

Some part of me is starting to doubt the next iPad will have a retina display...
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:14 AM   #15
justinfreid
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to justinfreid Send a message via AIM to justinfreid Send a message via MSN to justinfreid Send a message via Yahoo to justinfreid Send a message via Skype™ to justinfreid
Rings true to me

I think the parts indicate what the shipping product will be like, unless in the intervening 6 months they've been able to figure out a way to shave another milometer off the size.
I believe the camera will be better and the retina display will make it's way onto the device and think it's likely the current iPad 2 will stick around at a lower price point.
justinfreid is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:17 AM   #16
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

I suppose no dramatic changes to the form factor are expected.

Surprised that Jeremy Horwitz is reporting this though, iLounge has been around for a while and I assume have a good relationship with Apple. I always thought Apple were quite touchy about leaks.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:19 AM   #17
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjmar View Post
My only concern is whether or not it will have a retina display.
I need to know if it will blend!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:21 AM   #18
GunZi
macrumors regular

iPad 2S/3

i dont care whats in the new ipad, as long as it's upgraded in some way ill buy it
btw im gonna get my first ipad.
GunZi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:25 AM   #19
wizard
macrumors 68040

Funny nobody I know complains about iPads thickness.

Given the right components, that is a high resolution display and a SoC to drive it I don't think anybody will complain. If they have an enhanced battery all the better.

Speaking of which I suspect that changes to the battery would be the only real reason to make the iPad thicker. Light bars for the display could easily be engineered around. The only other possibility I could see would be a significantly enhanced logic board ideally supporting more flash chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmunch View Post
wizard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:26 AM   #20
scoobydoo99
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinfreid View Post
I think the parts indicate what the shipping product will be like, unless in the intervening 6 months they've been able to figure out a way to shave another milometer off the size.
They don't have to shave "another millimeter" off the size for this prototype to be wrong - they just have to avoid ADDING a millimeter.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:36 AM   #21
bushido
macrumors 603

omg by a milimeter. scancal. shocking indeed. how will i ever carry it. its peobably gonna weight a ton. #sarcasm
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:36 AM   #22
psxp
macrumors regular

Apple,
please include the following in iPad 3

* SD Card Reader
* Hi Res (720p) Front Facing Camera for Skype calls
* Hi-res display
* more memory
psxp is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:38 AM   #23
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

I must say that the photo in the news story took my breath away. I couldn't be more moved and excited. Any way to get a large, framed version?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:41 AM   #24
Slurpy2k8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psxp View Post
Apple,
please include the following in iPad 3

* SD Card Reader
* Hi Res (720p) Front Facing Camera for Skype calls
* Hi-res display
* more memory
The last 3 will happen. The 1st won't.
Slurpy2k8 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:49 AM   #25
Darlo770
macrumors member

iPad 2S?

I have this horrible feeling it's going to be the iPad 2S released in March, with a retina screen but Dual-Core (higher clock speed) to drive that new display (not a Quad-Core yet). I just want somebody to say a dual-core technically couldn't drive a retina display that large. Could it? This would be Apple down to a tee, saving the quad-core for the iPad 4 (and it's 'major hardware upgrades' rumoured recently).

Last edited by Darlo770; Jan 10, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Darlo770 is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion