Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge, which just last week updated its claims regarding details of the next-generation iPad with mention of improved cameras, today reports that it has viewed what appear to be at least prototype parts for the device.

The parts, which seem to include the rear shell and front glass bezel, reportedly corroborate iLounge's earlier claims of an almost imperceptibly thicker body and an upgraded iPhone-like rear camera.
The new iPad's body is so slightly thicker than the iPad 2 that the change is unnoticeable on first inspection; a roughly 1mm increase will barely be perceptible to users. We've heard that the only accessories that might have issues are cases, and then, only cases that were precisely contoured to fit the iPad 2's back. On the rear, the camera in the upper left corner has become bigger--noticeably so when placed alongside the iPad 2, but not so huge that anyone would think they were different at a distance. The new camera hole is silver-ringed, and does in fact look the same size as the iPhone 4S's much-improved rear camera system, minus the LED flash.
iLounge's Jeremy Horwitz reports that some accessory manufacturers are claiming that the iPad 3 will come with a slightly smaller screen, but a front glass bezel seen by Horwitz fails to support that notion. Otherwise, the locations of all external features of the iPad 3 remain identical to those on the iPad 2.

leaked_ipad_3_display.jpg

Previous leak of claimed iPad 3 display

Horwitz cautions that the rear shell part he was able to view seems to have been produced at least six months ago and thus may not represent the final design for the next-generation iPad, which he notes could be called the iPad 3 or perhaps some variation on the iPad 2 name. But the parts do apparently support iLounge's existing claims of Apple's design tweaks for the next-generation iPad, which many are expecting to debut around March of this year.

Article Link: Report of Hands-On with iPad 3 Rear Shell and Other Components

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
So unfortunately, we still know very little. If this is indeed a prototype shell from over 6 months ago, than everything can happen regarding design when Apple announces the iPad 3.

First if was reported that the dual led bar required some extra space (thus the 1 mm extra), but later on it was also reported that they solved the issue and that the next generation iPad will indeed be thinner.

Well, my hopes are up for a great iPad launch with retina display. :)

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
I think its a prototype that failed, like the iPhone 5. I doubt that the thicker design will be allowed through, and especially since there are new tablet makers boasting thinner designs. I don't think that this will go through. But even if it was thicker, I would like it. That means that it would pack more goodness, and a larger surface area for a good tablet.

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Riiiight. Some 3rd party manufacturers are claiming a slightly smaller screen just like they claimed the iPhone 5...er 4S would be tapered with a bigger screen.

AFAIC a smaller screen (if there is just one size as I assume there will be) is a fail, but I don't think Apple would do that so no worries. The improvements I need to see though are better resolution and lighter weight. I don't really care about improved camera quality or if it's slightly thicker.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Lol, apple haters are haters. When they launch a phone, they want it to be bigger. When they launch a tablet, they want it to be smaller. And the companies that are making their stuff are converting phones to tablets, and tablets to phones. Just popped up into my head

Last edited:

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
I know it is incredibly superficial but adding even one millimeter will not be acceptable. We are still in the middle of the "thin is in" race. Other manufacturers are shaving away at those millimeters Apple will be expected to do so as well.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
So unfortunately, we still know very little. If this is indeed a prototype shell from over 6 months ago, than everything can happen regarding design when Apple announces the iPad 3.

First if was reported that the dual led bar required some extra space (thus the 1 mm extra), but later on it was also reported that they solved the issue and that the next generation iPad will indeed be thinner.

Well, my hopes are up for a great iPad launch with retina display. :)

Exactly, that must have been a dual light bar prototype, before they put IGZO. Remember, there used to be rumours about them considering dual light bar or dual sets on a single chip. They must have demoed each one and trailed. Then hopefully IGZO was the answer.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I know it is incredibly superficial but adding even one millimeter will not be acceptable. We are still in the middle of the "thin is in" race. Other manufacturers are shaving away at those millimeters Apple will be expected to do so as well.

who cares if it's 1MM thicker. Apple still has better software and a better ecosystem as well as better support and a better looking product.

let's see "other manufacturers" get that down pact.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Some part of me is starting to doubt the next iPad will have a retina display...

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Rings true to me

I think the parts indicate what the shipping product will be like, unless in the intervening 6 months they've been able to figure out a way to shave another milometer off the size.
I believe the camera will be better and the retina display will make it's way onto the device and think it's likely the current iPad 2 will stick around at a lower price point.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I suppose no dramatic changes to the form factor are expected.

Surprised that Jeremy Horwitz is reporting this though, iLounge has been around for a while and I assume have a good relationship with Apple. I always thought Apple were quite touchy about leaks.

GunZi

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2012
iPad 2S/3

i dont care whats in the new ipad, as long as it's upgraded in some way ill buy it :)
btw im gonna get my first ipad.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Funny nobody I know complains about iPads thickness.

Given the right components, that is a high resolution display and a SoC to drive it I don't think anybody will complain. If they have an enhanced battery all the better.

Speaking of which I suspect that changes to the battery would be the only real reason to make the iPad thicker. Light bars for the display could easily be engineered around. The only other possibility I could see would be a significantly enhanced logic board ideally supporting more flash chips.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
I think the parts indicate what the shipping product will be like, unless in the intervening 6 months they've been able to figure out a way to shave another milometer off the size.

They don't have to shave "another millimeter" off the size for this prototype to be wrong - they just have to avoid ADDING a millimeter. :rolleyes:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
omg by a milimeter. scancal. shocking indeed. how will i ever carry it. its peobably gonna weight a ton. #sarcasm

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Apple,
please include the following in iPad 3

* SD Card Reader
* Hi Res (720p) Front Facing Camera for Skype calls
* Hi-res display
* more memory

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I must say that the photo in the news story took my breath away. I couldn't be more moved and excited. Any way to get a large, framed version? :rolleyes: :D

Darlo770

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
iPad 2S?

I have this horrible feeling it's going to be the iPad 2S released in March, with a retina screen but Dual-Core (higher clock speed) to drive that new display (not a Quad-Core yet). I just want somebody to say a dual-core technically couldn't drive a retina display that large. Could it? :( This would be Apple down to a tee, saving the quad-core for the iPad 4 (and it's 'major hardware upgrades' rumoured recently).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.