Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vUndefined

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Connecticut
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi Everybody!

This is my first post on MacRumors and I hope I like it here. Expect to see me around!

But today my question is: I bought a PowerPC based iMac G5, and I have seen everywhere people saying "I have FireFox for my PPC Mac" Well first I was wondering, is that even possible? And second of all, if it is, what was the last version of it for PPC users? Because I plan to get it off of oldapps.com

Cheers, and all help is appreciated.

-Undefined

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You can try tenfourfox they recompile the Firefox for Mac builds to run on PowerPC and 10.4, they are up to version 9. Unfortunately they do not support plugins anymore.

The latest official release is 3.6.25. You can find the appropriate one for you on the 3.6 download page.

I would run both. The latest for websites that no longer support 3.6. While you can run 3.6 for most Flash content. On 3.6 I would also run Flashblock and AdBlock Plus to clear out ads and other junk content.

Killing unwanted Flash is great for speeding up browsing. Then you can manually turn it on for content you want and fully enable it on websites that need Flash to work.

For adblock plus I add exceptions for sites like Google so that relevant adwords hits come up in my searches.
http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

vUndefined

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Connecticut
You can try tenfourfox they recompile the Firefox for Mac builds to run on PowerPC and 10.4, they are up to version 9. Unfortunately they do not support plugins anymore.

The latest official release is 3.6.25. You can find the appropriate one for you on the 3.6 download page.

I would run both. The latest for websites that no longer support 3.6. While you can run 3.6 for most Flash content. On 3.6 I would also run Flashblock and AdBlock Plus to clear out ads and other junk content.

Killing unwanted Flash is great for speeding up browsing. Then you can manually turn it on for content you want and fully enable it on websites that need Flash to work.

For adblock plus I add exceptions for sites like Google so that relevant adwords hits come up in my searches.
http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

Thanks for your post. The link to Mozilla's page was great. I like TenFourFox but I didn't use it because of it not supporting plugins. But I plan to visit your link to Mozilla's page when I get the chance so I could download it.

Thanks for your help!!

-Undefined

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.