Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Your solution sounds like a royal pain the in ass for something that could easily get an on/off switch in system preferences.

Get over yourself.
Why have an on/off switch for something that is essentially the same thing renamed. How hard it is to remember 2 new words for saving documents? Not very hard.

Why have a switch to switch back to something in the past that was not as good. It's called creative destruction. Out with the old and in with the new and better. That's how Apple think. And I think they are right.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Why have an on/off switch for something that is essentially the same thing renamed. How hard it is to remember 2 new words for saving documents? Not very hard.

Why have a switch to switch back to something in the past that was not as good. It's called creative destruction. Out with the old and in with the new and better. That's how Apple think. And I think they are right.

And I think, among many others, theyre flat our wrong. An on/off switch isn't going to kill you. It'll be left optional and you'll still have this new backwards way of handling your saved files.

For the rest of us, we prefer manually doing things according to *our* preferences, not yours or apples.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Where is iMessage!!!! I love Apple but these inconsistencies between iOS and the Lion are bugging me!

Where is iMessage? Where is a new iWork for iCloud syncing?

Grrrrrr!!!!

lippyt

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
I hope they fix the problem with new macbooks and external displays in clamshell mode... Or just revert it to original behavior found in snow leopard.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Open this fixes the nvidia graphics crash on my iMac. I've send millions of those crash reports in...

fantomduck

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Athens Greeece
AD support

Good day to all,

is it possible somebody to confirm if the AD support issues fix that is mentioned, includes also a fix for the mail connection errors to exchange?

After the upgrade to Lion i cannot connect to exchange account anymore, only via Outlook 2011.

Regards,

Elies

sorenladegaard

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2006
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm still waiting for Auto-Save/Versions to be made optional. I want it off and want to keep "Save As". I'm not upgrading to Lion yet...
I second that. I upgraded to Lion when it was released but after two weeks downgraded back to Snow Leopard. Can't stand Auto-save and Versions. It needs to be optional or I won't upgrade to Lion.

sorenladegaard

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2006
Copenhagen, Denmark

It's not the same thing renamed. It's a counter intuitive thing that evens adds steps to your workflow.

Let's say I have a 30 page long document. I just want to open it and play around. But maybe not save anything. Now I actively have to either go to the top menu to lock the document or or click "dublicate" to generate and extra copy to play with - and then maybe delete afterwards.

And Autosave is not systemwide. It app dependant.

When working in Rapidweaver it doesn't autosave. In Pixelmator it does.
When working in Microsoft Word it doesn't autosave. In Pages it does.

And then when you realise you've been autosaving for the past 15 minutes - and click Versions - you get 10 different versions to look at. Well, if it's a 30 page document how are you going to find out which version you are looking for?

This whole Autosave-Version-Reopen-all-Windows-where-you-left-off thing works great on iPhone and iPad.

But my Mac is not a smartphone. It's a production tool. Autosave and Versions may work for some. Especially "Mom and Dad" who have little computing expertice.

But I can control my workflow by myself.

Just make an on/off switch and make everybody happy. It's as simple as that.

----------

Save a version and duplicate to the exact same things as save and save as. Get over yourself. Accept the name change and move on. Or get left behind.
It's not the name change that is the problem. It's the "auto" part. When working in previous versions of OSX do you press "save" every 5 seconds? Even when just playing around and trying things out? Do you still press "save" every 5 seconds knowing you're just playing around and may not actually want your final product to include all your changes?

Yes. I could lock the document or create a dublicate. But that's adding steps to the production process - not simplifying it. And it's not systemwide so I have to remember every single time which app autosaves and which one that doesn't.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I second that. I upgraded to Lion when it was released but after two weeks downgraded back to Snow Leopard. Can't stand Auto-save and Versions. It needs to be optional or I won't upgrade to Lion.

I didnt bother about those, what's driving me nuts is the Mission Control. I just didnt get used to it, so Lion left my laptop as fast as it comes. Until expose from SL wont be ported into Lion I dont actually care whats in Lion and what's missing.. apparently it looks like sooner we get expose in Lion we will see 10.8 beta...:mad:

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Wish Apple would push forward OpenGL...

At least be at the latest revision of the standard.

OpenGL 3.2 is implemented completely but from what I understand they needed to start a fresh by aiming at OpenGL 3.2 (I'm sure the decision to aim for OpenGL 3.2 was made well before OpenGL 4.x was on the horizon given that OpenGL 3.2 Library has been a ground up clean room implementation from scratch) and then in future releases working to develop it to be compatible with the latest specifications. The problem is that the only 2.1 library has a tonne of limitations that inhibited them from developing it further thus they started afresh with OpenGL 3.2.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Wish Apple would push forward OpenGL...

At least be at the latest revision of the standard.

Apple doesnt care about graphics. They never have and given their history, never will.

Hard to deny this too. Mac Pro users know exactly what a bag of hurt it is to own a mac desktop computer with crippled graphics hardware.

alksion

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Where is the document cloud storage or am I missing something?
Fix WiFi issue on waking the computer?
Mail outgoing servers never seem to work on mail?

guycarmeli

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2009
Language support

Add Catalan, Croatian, Greek, Hebrew, Romanian, Slovak, Thai, and Ukrainian language support

Does anyone know what exactly this refers to?
Does this mean a localized UI? just in the Finder and system dialogs? What about Apple apps like iWork?

Thanks!

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
Does anyone know what exactly this refers to?
Does this mean a localized UI? just in the Finder and system dialogs? What about Apple apps like iWork?

Thanks!

+1 interested, since Croatian is addad. Very interested.
It would be a useful info to me as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.