Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:47 PM   #26
thenerdal
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes View Post
Heck, Microsoft itself was purchased from another company.

Mrs. Gates (Billy's mom) basically bought her trust fund baby a computer company that wrote the precursor to PC-DOS. Not only that, from her charity activities (she was from one of Seattle's oldest banking families), she knew someone who sat on IBM's board of directors and got Big Blue to look at Sonny Boy's operating system (which would eventually become the primary OS of the IBM PC).

Well, Junior took the ball and ran with it until the EU and US DOJ started poking around for antitrust practices. Mama Gates told Sonny Boy to loosen the purse strings, not be such a tightwad. By this time, he was wise enough to listen to Mom and she was the initial executive director of the Gates Foundation.

Bill Gates is a very important philanthropist, but let's not hide anything. Microsoft had a chance because his mom made some very strategic moves early in her son's professional endeavors.
That's not true.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
Unlike Google and Microsoft, they don't need to buy very many things out because they are creative. Microsoft, for instance, bought Office from another company. Google bought Motorola Mobility.[COLOR="#808080"]
Actually, Microsoft didn't buy Office.
thenerdal is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:57 PM   #27
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicMacs View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

No more Sammyflash
You are being naive. Anobit does not make flash and neither does Apple. Merge two companies not making flash memory and you get what? No flash memory. You need FABs for that and only Samsung has those (and spending $5..10 billion dollars annually to update those). Spending $500 million these days just buys you some patents and that's what this purchase is.
lilo777 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:06 PM   #28
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoMorpheus View Post
Yeah, we just buy small companies from time to time, nothing to see here, small.
I love how it's chump change to them, crazy but pretty cool!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:39 PM   #29
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Uh, no.

The point is that Microsoft was built by acquiring another company. That's totally relevant to the topic, particularly because the commentor I was replying to was talking about Office which didn't exist at the time of Microsoft's founding. Office is a hodgepodge pieced together from code mostly purchased from outside sources (which actually provided the better components, like Excel).

I have no bitterness about Microsoft/Gates success. Why should I? It's not like I was shut out of deal because Mama Gates stepped in and showed me my hat. A s a matter of fact, I was actually quite complimentary of Bill's more recent endeavors. Heck, most of my jobs have come because I knew somebody. I never said that having connections was a BAD thing.

I was just pointing out that Microsoft wasn't built from scratch. Far from that.

I don't work in high tech anymore. Money isn't the only great thing in life. I make far less today than I would have had I stuck in high tech, but that was my deliberate choice.

In any case, I make more the 99.9% of the people on this planet, even if I don't make the median income for a college-educated American of my age.

YOU are the one who needs an attitude adjustment.
He should've known better than to argue with a lawyer (I think you're a lawyer, IIRC).
thelookingglass is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:04 PM   #30
blue22
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hopefully this will be the first significant step towards a lasting peace in the Middle East.

Last edited by blue22; Jan 10, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
blue22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:17 PM   #31
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hopefully this will be the first significant step towards a lasting peace in the Middle East.
Doubtful. I seem to recall stupid posts against "Zionists" in the initial story about this purchase. Some people just can't help but apply stupid religious conflicts to a forum full of people who don't give a damn.
Kaibelf is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:35 PM   #32
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue22 View Post

Ever been to Israel? One little company being bought out by Apple will not create peace in the Middle East. I won't say what will, because I don't want to start a political debate.
AlphaDogg is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:38 PM   #33
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

I gotta wonder how cheap the labor is in Israel to make this a good option.

Or maybe I'm missing something
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:44 PM   #34
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicMacs View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

No more Sammyflash
Anobit designs the flash controller.

paul4339 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:06 AM   #35
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Heck, Microsoft itself was purchased from another company.

Mrs. Gates (Billy's mom) basically bought her trust fund baby a computer company that wrote the precursor to PC-DOS. Not only that, from her charity activities (she was from one of Seattle's oldest banking families), she knew someone who sat on IBM's board of directors and got Big Blue to look at Sonny Boy's operating system (which would eventually become the primary OS of the IBM PC).

Well, Junior took the ball and ran with it until the EU and US DOJ started poking around for antitrust practices. Mama Gates told Sonny Boy to loosen the purse strings, not be such a tightwad. By this time, he was wise enough to listen to Mom and she was the initial executive director of the Gates Foundation.

Bill Gates is a very important philanthropist, but let's not hide anything. Microsoft had a chance because his mom made some very strategic moves early in her son's professional endeavors.
Go here and read #6. Oh hell, read the whole damn thing. Sounds like you need it.
inkswamp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:38 AM   #36
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul4339 View Post
Anobit designs the flash controller.

...and the flash memory unit themselves could be manufactured by Samsung...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:14 AM   #37
marcusj0015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
I think this means that apple has a true desire to make all of their products flash based - and only flash based - in the coming years. Hopefully this will mean that we will start to see larger capacities at smaller prices, but I hope that Apple doesn't take a cue from the MB Air and start to install flash memory on the motherboard. Hopefully this isn't another step in Apple's attempt to make a machine that is completely closed for the user.
Dude, Apple SHOULD put Flash on the motherboard, for faster access and more importantly that way a HDD/SDD could be installed.
marcusj0015 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 03:21 AM   #38
arcite
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
Apple buys companies that they see can add value to penetrating new markets and growing mature markets without adding heavy overhead and debt taken on by larger acquisitions.

Sorry, but you want to buy out Kodak? Go right ahead. It's a dump full of debt with very little useful IP.

There is a good 50 large corporations in similar shape. Have at them.
LOL why are people modding you down?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 05:18 AM   #39
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhead95 View Post
You would think with the amount of cash they have, they would purchase more than just 'a few' small business'.
Why would they? Any acquisition has a huge cost beyond the money paid; the company has to be integrated, you have to make sure everything keeps running smoothly because you don't want the important people in the company jump ship, and so on. Apple is very careful only to buy companies that can directly contribute to improving Apple's business. And there are not many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post

You are missing something. What counts isn't how cheap the labour is in Israel, but how good their universities are.
gnasher729 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:22 AM   #40
currentinterest
macrumors 6502

I believe this company has technology for greatly improving the reliability and efficiency of flash memory allowing one to get better performance from less expensive memory. This keeps costs down without sacrificing performance. The acquisition will pay for itself many times over; it is not just about patents.
currentinterest is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 06:38 AM   #41
blue22
macrumors 6502

lighten up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Doubtful. I seem to recall stupid posts against "Zionists" in the initial story about this purchase. Some people just can't help but apply stupid religious conflicts to a forum full of people who don't give a damn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
Ever been to Israel? One little company being bought out by Apple will not create peace in the Middle East. I won't say what will, because I don't want to start a political debate.
Relax, it was just a joke.
blue22 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:02 AM   #42
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhead95 View Post
You would think with the amount of cash they have, they would purchase more than just 'a few' small business'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Apple reportedly paid $400-500 million for Anobit...

...Anobit is currently responsible for a key flash memory controller for the iPad and iPhone
Small business. Really.

;-)

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:04 AM   #43
Kilamite
macrumors G3

This Israeli cool news.
Kilamite is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:06 AM   #44
MrNomNoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
Are there any Anobit patents on this technology to be had in this acquisition? If so, it could give Apple a real price advantage for flash storage in the coming years. See this great article's explanation...

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2011/1...am-technology/
It would be nice for the person who wrote the article what RAM actually means instead of throwing it around like some sort of buzz word to give the unsuspecting audience the impression he actually knows what he is talking about. Btw, SMB 2.1 is in Windows 7/Windows 20008 R2 and SMB 2.2 is already in the Windows 8 developer preview so I hope Apple is on the ball when it comes to delivering updates.

Last edited by MrNomNoms; Jan 11, 2012 at 07:27 AM.
MrNomNoms is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:06 AM   #45
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by george-brooks View Post
It is, but not with anything widely commercially available. OWC sells a few expensive replacements for the previous model. It is starting to feel like Apple is limiting our choices even more.
Why would Apple want everybody to tinker around inside their products other than memory chips?"

They sell several configurations regarding SSD size etc. and if they don't offer what YOU want, you either have to find a different solution around their limitations or another product from another company.

It's the way they want to sell their products, so why complain?

I bet 90% of Apple consumers buy their machines and never do anything to them other than software updates which pop up automatically.

Last edited by Thunderhawks; Jan 11, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Thunderhawks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:07 AM   #46
AppleMacDudeG4
macrumors member

Good move

This is a good move on the part of Apple. By having a company making the flash memories for them, they will not have to worry running into supply issues or having to spend time negotiating on prices.
AppleMacDudeG4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:09 AM   #47
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Pretty soon Apple is going to make all their components themselves.
Not really. But innovative flash memory products reach the customer base faster, if one company controls the entire process (design, manufacturing, ...). A good example are SandForce-controllers. Only a few SSD companies use them, which makes them expensive.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:11 AM   #48
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post

The percentage of labor in that manufacturing process is insignificant.

It's the brain power Apple was after. They don't pay 400-500 million to get forklift drivers.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:27 AM   #49
philstubbington
macrumors member

Largest acquisition ever?

A few websites are suggesting that this is Apple's largest acquisition.

Didn't seem quite right to me (NeXT must have been bigger, surely?) so I checked on http://www.measuringworth.com and it seems like the relative value of the reported $400m paid for NeXT in 1997 ranges from $525m to $697m, against the reported $400m paid for Anobit. So, at the bottom end at least, it's not the biggest.

Just thought someone else might like to know
philstubbington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:39 AM   #50
TMay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They won't make them, however they may end up designing a lot of custom components. Anobit -- like P.A. Semi and Intrinsity -- is a fabless design firm. The actual manufacturing (fabrication) is handled by someone else.

I'm a tad surprised that Apple hasn't made a move to acquiring Imagination Technologies (who provides the graphics design for their handheld chips), but perhaps there's more competition in that space and such an investment would be a far riskier gamble.
9.5% ownership by Apple.
TMay is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion