Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports that Apple's manufacturing partners Foxconn and Pegatron have begun production on the next-generation iPad, with Foxconn once again bearing approximately 85% of the load. According to the report, the initial production batch is targeted for shipment in early March, in line with a number of rumors regarding the iPad 3 launch.
According to Chinese source, Foxconn Technology and Pegatron Technology started next generation of iPad assembly with Foxconn bearing 85% and Pegatron taking 15% of the production load like as iPhone 4S. Accelerated schedule is made possible by earlier Chinese New Year festival, 23rd-28th January.

This first lot production implements LCD's, which are produced by Sharp Electronics Corporation, and aims to be shipped at early March, source told.
The report reiterates several of the details found in iLounge's reports on the device, including descriptions of a form factor that looks approximately the same as the iPad 2 but which is slightly thicker. Mac Otakara notes that tight-fitting iPad 2 cases will apparently not fit the new model but that the Smart Cover will be compatible with the new model despite an adjustment in the location of the device's magnets.

dark_gray_smart_cover-500x329.jpg

Mac Otakara has at times offered accurate information, but has had a few missteps including claims of a late 2011 launch for the iPad 3, new flash memory for MacBook Air solid state drive, and a SIM-less iPhone 4S.

Article Link: iPad 3 Production Underway for Early March Shipments?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
"with Foxconn bearing 85%"

...and also 85 percent of the suicides :( Remember that while we all love our gadgets, there is a human cost in getting them to us.

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011

...and also 85 percent of the suicides :( Remember that while we all love our gadgets, there is a human cost in getting them to us.

Just of curiosity, does this ever deter you from buying one?

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I hope so. I've been holding off since the first iPad to get the third version.

devinstan

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I like that your adding the rumor record for the company/blog/individual at the end.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
All it needs is a Retina display, and they have my money. Everything else is gravy, and a little thicker means nothing to me.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
I will either buy the next gen or current gen when the next gen releases. I will either get great new features or save a bunch of cash ;) I finally found a good enough bunch of personal reasons to justify a purchase.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
I just hope whatever new innovations they put in they patent the hell out of it so no scum sheep can copy and claim they are better. Don't mean to sound like a fanboy but the competitors really are scum when it comes to forgery.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
If the smart cover fits that'd be amazing, I just got one as a gift and didn't want to upset the person who gave it to me by upgrading to the next iPad and not being able to use it.

Superken7

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
If its the same size, even slightly thicker, it means it will be well packed! :)

Retina screen, of course, and let's hope for a better battery and Siri (proximity sensor)

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004

Statistically speaking, wouldn't it be expected that 85% of a group of people bear 85% of suicides? The suicide rate at Foxconn is better than the rest of China.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Statistically speaking, wouldn't it be expected that 85% of a group of people bear 85% of suicides? The suicide rate at Foxconn is better than the rest of China.

He must have been hoping that the other 15% had more than their fair share of the suicides.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Normally I jump to the new device like I do with the iPhone and iPod Touch each year. I jumped from the iPad 1 to iPad 2 simply because the form factor was a lot better and it had cameras for FaceTime. I am pretty happy with my iPad 2 so I am not sure what Apple could do to push me to upgrade to the iPad 3. Retina display is not gonna do it alone.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009

exactly. I don't want to suggest anyone shouldn't be making conditions as good as possible for factory workers - but the simple truth is:

A Chinese citizen is MORE likely to commit suicide outside of foxconn than inside foxconn.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Every year, about 30,000 US citizens who don't own iPads or iPhones commit suicide. There is a human cost in not owning them.

(The US postal service has less than half the number of employees that Foxconn has. Being employed there apparently drives so many people crazy, that the term "going postal" is used today for someone who grabs a gun and starts shooting random people).

Just of curiosity, does this ever deter you from buying one?

Most people don't care, some know about statistics, and the others should think about how many suicides there would be if nobody bought anything made at Foxconn and 800,000 employees lost their jobs.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
exactly. I don't want to suggest anyone shouldn't be making conditions as good as possible for factory workers - but the simple truth is:

A Chinese citizen is MORE likely to commit suicide outside of foxconn than inside foxconn.

Correct me if I am wrong also. Wasn't the only reason for suicide was because the individual leaked info(crime) and got caught. They couldn't handle the punishment that they rightfully deserved. lol

jmitch720

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2009
Time to put iPad 2 on Ebay?

I'm thinking the same thing. I love my iPad 2, but I read a lot of comics on it and would really benefit from the Retina Display. There is no way I can afford to keep my current model and purchase the iPad 3, so I may have to put it on eBay. I think I'll mull it over a little longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.