Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lokiju

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
In regards to the "hack" that's been floating around all over the intrawebs and discussed on here as well https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/980351/

Has anyone come across a more user friendly less "hacked" solution that accomplishes this without costing as much as the trackpad itself?

Somewhat surprised to not see a flood of cheap plastic slide in adapters with a usb cable on aliexpress or ebay to date.

I know there's products either coming out soon or out now that cost $30 or more but when you can regularly get a Magic Trackpad for that cost or in my case free with my iMac, it doesn't make much sense to spend so much on a power non-battery power solution.

I'm really surprised that the battery drains when not in use. I have it on my iMac at home in my office and might not touch physically touch it for weeks at a time and when I do use it, it's very limited use. I'm pretty surprised that it doesn't seem to matter if I'm using it every day or not that it dies in roughly the same amount of time.

Last year I was working at a company where I had a Mac Pro and used a Magic Trackpad all day every day so I have a good idea on both daily usage vs nearly no usage.

Maybe a alternative solution is some 3rd party app that actually powers down the Magic Trackpad fully when not in use for X amount of defined time?

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I had their magic bar and it caused issues with the trackpad. but their batteries did not last long about 1/2 or less then good rechargeable's.

bljr

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
USB power adapter for Trackpad

A friend of mine and I designed an adapter that goes into the USB with proper electronics. We applied for Kickstarter for funding, unfortunately they rejected it saying the project does not fit their guideline.

If there is enough traction for this, we can setup a website and get the project going.

Here is the design that we have:
mtpa3c.jpg

and here is how it will look like:
mtpa5cr.jpg

Reactions: MixMor

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
march 1st! and then you can throw your ghetto fixes away!:D

I got mine and it works well. seems to last longer then their other products. though my mini did not show the batty power had went up even after a reboot. it took turning off the trackpad to get it to update.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
A friend of mine and I designed an adapter that goes into the USB with proper electronics. We applied for Kickstarter for funding, unfortunately they rejected it saying the project does not fit their guideline.

If there is enough traction for this, we can setup a website and get the project going.

A USB powered 3V battery eliminator, simple enough. Nice packaging.

I like it, what part of it didn't Kickstarter like?

JayMBP

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2011
Surrey, BC
There is one little problem of your design that keeps me away from ordering one - You took away the ability for it to be wireless.

IMO, you should have designed it to include rechargeable batteries and instead of a hardwired USB cord, it should be a mini or micro USB female port.

This way, it could be powered/recharged in wired mode but not taking away the ability for the trackpad to be wireless. And each user could pick the cable length of their choice.

turbo2ltr

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
Thansk for the feedback! It is always welcome.

Well we didn't really take the ability to be wireless away. Simply swap your batteries and OEM battery door and you are back to wireless.

Even rechargeable batteries eventually go dead and end up in landfills....especially when left plugged in for long periods of times.

We looked at using a USB port and found the manufacturing costs for the battery door were going to be too high to keep the product in the 20-$30 range.

Bottom line is that if you are going mobile often with your trackpad, this may not be for you. But there are plenty of people that use a trackpad with their mac pro/imac that don't need to go mobile. This product is geared more for them.

We plan to expand the line in the future to include some of the options you suggested.

-Mike

Last edited:

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA

I think this is a great idea. I can see the appeal being limited for individual users, many of whom are probably happy to trade off the inconvenience of battery replacements for the elegance of a wireless solution.

However, education and enterprise users are a different situation. So much of OS X going forward will be gesture based that it will be increasingly difficult to use a standard wired mouse with a Mac. For one person, it's no big deal to replace batteries when needed, but for an office or lab full of computers it's a very different story. This could save a lot of headaches for the people who manage those setups.

bljr

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2012
However, education and enterprise users are a different situation. So much of OS X going forward will be gesture based that it will be increasingly difficult to use a standard wired mouse with a Mac.

:) Spot on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.