Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With close to twelve hours still to go until opening time, Tech in Asia reports that Apple's five retail stores in China are seeing huge lines for the iPhone 4S, with stores said to already be seeing hundreds of people in line.
At the two stores in Beijing, and the three in Shanghai, there are clearly lines stretching hundreds of meters, with reports of hundreds of queuers at each, snaking around city blocks (see more photos below). Most stores have a ticketing system to deter queue-jumpers, but that won't stop the 'scalpers' who buy the phones to resell later at a profit.
apple_store_xidan_joy_city_iphone_4s.jpg

Apple's Xidan Joy City store in Beijing
The report notes that Apple's iPhone partner China Unicom will begin selling the iPhone 4S online at 12:01 AM, but that there is undoubtedly significant interest in unlocked devices sold directly from Apple. Pricing is set at the equivalent of $790/$932/$1,074 for the three capacities of unlocked iPhone 4S models.

apple_store_pudong_iphone_4s.jpg

Apple's Pudong store in Shanghai
For those customers willing to sign up for a contract with China Unicom, the carrier is offering the iPhone 4S for free under certain rate plans and contract lengths.

Article Link: Hundreds Lining Up for iPhone 4S at Chinese Apple Stores

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It is amazing that so many people are in line for this phone, with all of the clones available in China, and the overall cost of the device over there.

::EDIT::
:eek: just noticed the free option available with some plans.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
The area these pictures were taken in is beautiful. I'm impressed by the lines. Really didn't think it would be a big deal for the Chinese, mostly because of what 840quadra said.

Also, I'm sick, so forgive me that I read this too quickly as, "Hundreds Lining Up for Chinese at Apple Stores" and immediately realized what I had done, causing one of those aches & pains laughs we all hate.

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I wonder if the Foxconn workers have to punch out and then go wait in line to purchase the very phone they helped build.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
In related news hundreds of students at my son's school lined up for government issued chicken nuggets, fries and mixed vegetables during yesterday's lunch hour.

TypeEE

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
There is usually no such thing as a line in china, when the door opens, people just squeeze in.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

que, q, queue

i just like plain old "line"

..."reports of hundreds of queuers..."

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
This clearly means the iPhone is the best most capable smartphone of all-time. Look it has long lines! :rolleyes:

Anyway, with the amount of people in china and the limited place to get a device like this, I would expect long lines!

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
Isn't it interesting that the design of the iPhone appeals to so many different cultures.

I can imagine an alternative world were different design aesthetics appealed to different nations and ideologies, but it seems that the Apple minimalist simplicity is fashionable all over the world right now.

Perhaps China/USA are just more alike than I imagine, I've not been to China yet so I don't really know.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
The clone phones do not work as well as the original, and there are plenty of people in China with money to buy a real iPhone.

China will be the largest iPhone market in a very short time.

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Isn't it interesting that the design of the iPhone appeals to so many different cultures.

I can imagine an alternative world were different design aesthetics appealed to different nations and ideologies, but it seems that the Apple minimalist simplicity is fashionable all over the world right now.

Perhaps China/USA are just more alike than I imagine, I've not been to China yet so I don't really know.

The Trillions in US debt will be forgiven because the Chinese like Angry Birds

DanHolderman

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
This proves that even with all of the clones on the market, people still want the real thing. I hope Apple sells millions of iPhones in China!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'm in China with my gang of white people. We're going to buy up all the supply and scalp them to the Chinese people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.