Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Remove vote buttons?

• Yes

Votes: 219 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 387 51.8%
  • Like Button Only

Votes: 119 15.9%
  • Other

Votes: 22 2.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Why don't we start using the thread rating to decide if there is anything useful in the thread, and then remove the down vote.

62e868be-9f0a-345b.jpg

I think that's a good idea - rating the thread overall. We can report bad postings with the "!" already, so the no vote seems somewhat a duplication. If a person disagrees with a poster, why not add a post rather than just anonymously clicking a down arrow.
Agree with both

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Agree with both

A thread rating is a bad idea. It's not the thread poster's fault if childish people reply in the thread and bring it down. People can stand on the merit of their own arguments. You can rate the original poster's thread merit at the 1st pot of every thread already. That's more than adequate.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
It think it serves a good purpose, as it allows us to quickly scan the page, and see which posts are the most important/relevant and irrelevant/poor. Of course if we want, we can always read any and all posts.

Without changing much functionality, the only thing that I would alter is that a user should not be able to vote for their own post. This has no purpose.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Sad truth is that it will always be a popularity contest. as Arn mentioned, this kind of thing happens with a large community. I for one really like getting down voted. It's like I finally have a purpose in life to get the most down voted posts in the history of MR. My mother would be so proud! :eek:

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Sad truth is that it will always be a popularity contest. as Arn mentioned, this kind of thing happens with a large community. I for one really like getting down voted. It's like I finally have a purpose in life to get the most down voted posts in the history of MR. My mother would be so proud! :eek:

LOL. Sorry, I had to up vote you because that was hilarious. :)

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
I think it's ok to have a voting system, but the votes should not be made anonymously. The nick behind each vote, and especially the negative ones, should in the very least be visible to the person who wrote the post at hand.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I think it's ok to have a voting system, but the votes should not be made anonymously. The nick behind each vote, and especially the negative ones, should in the very least be visible to the person who wrote the post at hand.

That would certainly be useful. Especially when addressing the explosive packages for mail!:eek:

Nick16

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
FL
I'm fairly new to MacRumors and I just came perusing this suggestions forum to see if I could find out why there is even a post rating system in the first place. It's not tied into the vBulletin default rating/reputation system and it doesn't go towards any sort of "overall" rating for users. In the few weeks I've been here I still haven't managed to figure out what the point of the rating system is. It serves absolutely no beneficial purpose whatsoever, at least I haven't found so far.

It think it serves a good purpose, as it allows us to quickly scan the page, and see which posts are the most important/relevant and irrelevant/poor. Of course if we want, we can always read any and all posts.
Except the fact of the matter is that a lot of the time, the higher-rated posts aren't necessarily the most helpful/important/relevant. Instead they're merely "popular." If somebody asks a stupid question, all the smart-ass answers are going to have the highest ratings, which isn't helpful in the scenario you provided.

I think what would solve everybody's problem is to give us an option to hide the ratings... i.e., we can go into our User CP and toggle "I don't want to see post ratings" and voila – It's like it isn't there to us, while everybody else who finds a purpose for them can keep them.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge

I sometimes downvote my own posts if I see that someone else has downvoted it already.

----------

That would certainly be useful. Especially when addressing the explosive packages for mail!:eek:

I'm not talking about address outage. It's enough for me that just the nick is visible. Sending IEDs to people is too risky for one's own safety. And also the postal workers'.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
I'm fairly new to MacRumors and I just came perusing this suggestions forum to see if I could find out why there is even a post rating system in the first place. It's not tied into the vBulletin default rating/reputation system and it doesn't go towards any sort of "overall" rating for users. In the few weeks I've been here I still haven't managed to figure out what the point of the rating system is. It serves absolutely no beneficial purpose whatsoever, at least I haven't found so far.

Except the fact of the matter is that a lot of the time, the higher-rated posts aren't necessarily the most helpful/important/relevant. Instead they're merely "popular." If somebody asks a stupid question, all the smart-ass answers are going to have the highest ratings, which isn't helpful in the scenario you provided.

I think what would solve everybody's problem is to give us an option to hide the ratings... i.e., we can go into our User CP and toggle "I don't want to see post ratings" and voila – It's like it isn't there to us, while everybody else who finds a purpose for them can keep them.

It's really not difficult to just ignore them.

Or you could just override the css to not display them:

.alt1 span {
display: none;
}

Nick16

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
FL
It's really not difficult to just ignore them.

Or you could just override the css to not display them:

.alt1 span {
display: none;
}

It isn't that easy to ignore them. They're there, they're visible... and they're irritating.

It's also really not that difficult for the administration here to make it an option for us, utilizing a conditional to show it or not depending on our setting.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
It would very much annoy me if the dork who has no clue was allowed to ignore the obvious lack of enthusiasm their clueless post elicits. The system serves a purpose - get over it!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
It would very much annoy me if the dork who has no clue was allowed to ignore the obvious lack of enthusiasm their clueless post elicits. The system serves a purpose - get over it!

Really, you go back to your older posts and see how they were voted on? If so, that's sad.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Really, you go back to your older posts and see how they were voted on? If so, that's sad.

Well, until very recently rdowns, I was unaware of the View First Unread option.;)

I actually start at my last post, re-read it, and continue on from there when visiting a thread I have participation in. And I already have the addresses of any ppl who downvote me.:cool::p

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
If the voting system was used how it was supposed to be (ie up voting correct, helpful, useful posts and down voting posts that are wrong, useless) then there wouldn't be a problem. For a new user unfamiliar with this issue may be influenced by the votes on the answers to their question(s).

But alas, some people can't be trusted and abuse the system. Perhaps even just removing the down vote option would be enough. That way people are only able to up vote correct, helpful answers.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
If the voting system was used how it was supposed to be (ie up voting correct, helpful, useful posts and down voting posts that are wrong, useless) then there wouldn't be a problem.

Where does it state that this is "how it is supposed to be used"? Being correct or helpful doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it.

Hi,

You will notice a new feature we are testing. Each post now has an up/down arrow associated with it. Clicking on either arrow will record your vote for that post. Right now, the votes are simply tallied next to the post, but may be used in other ways in the future.

- You must be logged in for your vote to register
- Criteria for up/down voting should be relatively obvious. Posts you like or would like to see more of, you can up vote. Those you dislike you can downvote.
- Please continue to use the "report" post button to report spam and other rules vioations.
- Assume that your votes are public, even though at the moment there is no way to see how people have voted. That may change.

arn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.