Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
It is amazing that so many people are in line for this phone, with all of the clones available in China, and the overall cost of the device over there.

::EDIT::
:eek: just noticed the free option available with some plans.

You realize the "clones" don't run the Apple operating system are nothing like an iPhone other then being glossy? This isn't the same as Nike shoe company being duplicated and producing clone products. Duplicating an iPhone manufacturing plant is beyond the resources of cloners.

mutantteenager

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Anyone ever see a line like that for an Android phone outside a Sprint, Verizon, or AT&T store? Just curious.

No, because those people realise that it's a mass produced phone that they could buy the day after if they didn't queue. Says more about the apple devoted (read demented).

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Better question, Does anyone care but a few fringe Apple Worshipers on MR?

If you need someone to explain to you why apple would produce long lines for a release(Once per year) vs a typical android phone(Multiple Phones, Multiple times)... you shoulnt be talking tech industry in the first place.

Your envy is running high today.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
No, people are willing to stand in line for Apple computers and iOS devices due to robust OS, outstanding security, and the added bonus of unsurpassed design and aesthetics.

Oh wow, look at this! Non Apple biased sources claim iOS is more secure than Android - including one from PC World. :eek:

Looks like Windows and Android sharing love for malware - LOL!!

Is Android Becoming the Windows of Mobile Malware?
http://www.digitaltrends.com/android/is-android-a-dream-platform-for-malware/

iOS Safer from Malware than Android, Security Firm Says.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/245380/ios_safer_from_malware_than_android_security_firm_says.html

Report: Android Is The King Of Malware!
http://www.thetelecomblog.com/2011/08/25/report-android-is-the-king-of-malware/

Android Malware Explodes, iOS Remains Safe
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/08/android-malware-explodes-ios-remains-safe/

Wait are you moving goal posts? I never said anything about the security of either OS. Thanks for playing.. Still didn't address my question

----------

Your envy is running high today.

What am I envious of? Care to explain?

Tell me why it matters that a line, for a phone, is long?

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN

And one of my favorites.

U-Village Microsoft Store Turns Out Huge Crowd (of Freeloaders) for Grand Opening
http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/ar...t-huge-crowd-of-freeloaders-for-grand-opening

The attendees answers to the reporter are hilarious. Almost as funny as Ballmer "coming full guns" at the iPad. :D

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009

And one of my favorites.

U-Village Microsoft Store Turns Out Huge Crowd (of Freeloaders) for Grand Opening
http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/ar...t-huge-crowd-of-freeloaders-for-grand-opening

The attendees answers to the reporter are hilarious. Almost as funny as Ballmer "coming full guns" at the iPad. :D

Again, lets stay on topic children. Address what I asked. I am only talking about Apple here, no other company.

Why does it matter, for a phone, that there is a long line..

linux2mac

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
"City of Lakes", MN
Not really. Macs get viruses and malware too.

But it's not "The Absolute King!"

" it’s important to know that those firms are generally comparing the number of threats faced by Android and other mobile operating systems to the those faced by Windows — which is the absolute king of malware, assaulted by hundreds and even thousands of new trojans, worms, exploits, and variants every day."

Is Android becoming the Windows of mobile malware?

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011

" it’s important to know that those firms are generally comparing the number of threats faced by Android and other mobile operating systems to the those faced by Windows — which is the absolute king of malware, assaulted by hundreds and even thousands of new trojans, worms, exploits, and variants every day."

It's because Windows has a huge marketshare. That's why they have more viruses than Mac. If Mac had more marketshare, they'd get more viruses. Same with Android. Since it has a huge marketshare.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009

It's because Windows has a huge marketshare. That's why they have more viruses than Mac. If Mac had more marketshare, they'd get more viruses. Same with Android. Since it has a huge marketshare.

That's not quite true, at least not in the simple terms you just tried to explain it in. Generally yes, it is because windows OS is used by more Joe Somebodies.

Put it this way, when you want to have something succeed you have a target market. Who do I want to have my product or service and why?

If I am a Hacker, trying to get someones identity to sell on the black market. I am going to be more successful at targeting Windows machines because there are simply more of them! This scenario is more true now with windows vista and beyond because most of the obvious security flaws(having admin by default, not asking for admin rights to install software) are pretty much patched up. People get malware from lack of education and clever social engineering techniques "You have x viruses, install this software now"

Hacker are wasting their time(for now) trying to target OSX and *nix users. They know that for the most part they have more success on windows and its users.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

Think of the fame of being the first to write a virus for the mac.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Hacker are wasting their time(for now) trying to target OSX and *nix users. They know that for the most part they have more success on windows and its users.

No it's because hackers know how extremely difficult it is to compromise a*nix OS. It's bullet-proof from the standpoint of a virus or trojan, they simply won't execute in a app sandboxed environment. The only thing you can do to Mac users is phishing schemes to get them to give up personal data. But that has to do with dumb users and Apple is already working on anti-phishing algorithms to defeat these attackers.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
No it's because hackers know how extremely difficult it is to compromise a*nix OS. It's bullet-proof from the standpoint of a virus or trojan, they simply won't execute in a app sandboxed environment. The only thing you can do to Mac users is phishing schemes to get them to give up personal data. But that has to do with dumb users and Apple is already working on anti-phishing algorithms to defeat these attackers.

If that was true, Android wouldn't get malware since it's based on Linux.

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009

You just proved you have no idea what you are talking about..

So are you saying that a *nix system cannot be compromised? In any way?

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
You just proved you have no idea what you are talking about..

So are you saying that a *nix system cannot be compromised? In any way?

You are correct.

By default, Windows has all of its ports open, whilst *nix OSs have them closed by default; just one example of why *nix is so much tougher to crack into.

Somebody had a link in their signature about this whole debate, anybody know who that was/what the link was?

tonyunreal

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
I'm sorry for the gigantic images. :(

I was tired last night and eventually went to bed without figuring out how to fix them, glad the moderators came in and saved the day. It won't happen again.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
I'm not surprised at the demand. My university here in the UK has a high proportion of international students, and pretty much every Asian international student has an iPhone 4 or 4S, and many have MacBook Pros and iPads as well. I very rarely see any other brand except Apple, and this goes to show a) they have the wealth to afford such products b) what a good marketing job Apple has done in reaching these emerging markets. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.