Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
So, unsurprisingly, the next iPhone will contain 4G capabilities. I couldn't imagine them not releasing a 4G-capable phone in roughly the same manner as 3G was offered for the original iPhone.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
The newest Qualcomm chip that everyone is waiting for, and will vastly improve LTE battery life, is the MDM9615. However, last I heard, it isn't expected to be released until Q2. Assuming Apple goes with that, I don't expect to see an LTE iPhone until sometime in mid to late summer. So that would be a small delay from the June timeframe some people probably would hope for. But the addition of LTE would be well worth the small delay for Apple.

So really, I think the iPhone 5 will have LTE, but I don't think it will have anything to do with Verizon demanding it. It will have it because the chipset release dates that Apple is waiting for will finally line up with Apple's schedule.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm pretty confident that the next iPhone will have that new Qualcomm LTE combo chip. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes in iPad first as that seems like it would be easier since heat battery is less of an issue.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
Apple is like the Honey Badger. Apple don't give a **** about stupid LTE. Apple does what it wants. LOL!

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Basically, Verizon does what Apple does: give a hard thumbs down to outdated technology and move forward quicker.

I expect Apple to like this, and Verizon to be the most Apple friendly network this way.

Siri has increased the data hunger of iPhones, so it's only natural that Apple would implement a faster data transfer interface.

It could be that the stress smartphones put on providers isn't exactly through sheer data volume, but through the time a smartphone needs to take a spot to get that data. Quicker data transfer could relax stressed networks (if I'm not wrong with this assumption).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think that the odds that the next iPhone will support LTE are about 99.99%, +/- 0.01%. There will be 28nm chipsets coming out this year that reduce power consumption. Plus, AT&T's network will be built out to most of the important markets, Sprint will be on its way, and Verizon will be about done with their rollout, not to mention the European and Asian carriers (most of whom are behind Verizon and AT&T right now), who will be deploying LTE.

Remember, most people who buy iPhones in mid- to late-2012 will have them until mid- to late-2014, by which time LTE will be commonplace. They'll want LTE.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Does anyone honestly believe the next iPhone won't have LTE? This isn't really news. It would have been like AT&T saying all future smart phones would require 3G six months before the iPhone 3G was released - Apple was pretty must last to the game, but everyone knew it was coming next.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
common sense

Verizon may certainly try to influence Apple but it's a "pressure" thing rather than "my way or the highway". That will/may work with some companies but Apple is not one that will be pushed into releasing a product before it deems it ready.

Personally I think this is the right approach. Apple makes products, Verizon does networks. Verizon can certainly choose what products it will sell and I'll bet that the iPhone will be on their list even if it doesn't have LTE.

I don't need LTE but I do want a phone that is unlocked for international. That's why my next one will not be AT&T. Verizon made the right call with this, AT&T did not.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
I read somewhere that it costs Verizon 1/4 as much to send the same amount of data (for example, 1 MB) via 4g.

Verizon doesn't care about battery life. They care about making the most money possible out of a customer's plan.

If anyone can give them a nice pimp hand to the face, though, it's Apple.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
This just pushed the iPhone 5 back another 6 months. Great.

Only Verizon's sale of the iPhone 5.

Apple will release the next iPhone when it wants to. Verizon will have a choice to support and sell it or let AT&T/Sprint (and perhaps TMo) sell it while Verizon continues to sell the 4S.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Obviously verizon higher ups would know if the next iPhone is LTE by now.. .I'm sure its already being tested on their network... That being said in my opinion they made this statement with the knowledge that the next iPhone is LTE :D

Is Verizon 4G LTE a completely different technology? Meaning does it not have some of the limitations that CDMA has like simultaneous talk and data?

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm pretty confident that the next iPhone will have that new Qualcomm LTE combo chip. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes in iPad first as that seems like it would be easier since heat battery is less of an issue.

I am willing to bet that the new Qualcomm LTE chipset will not be in the iPad 3. It's hoped they can get the new process down in time for mass production in Q2, but clearly there is time between design, testing, validation, mass production. I am guessing they will use the current LTE chipset (since they have much more space for battery size than the iPhone) and then the new chipset in the fall for the iPhone LTE (that's what I am calling it for now).

Just my theory.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
The newest Qualcomm chip that everyone is waiting for, and will vastly improve LTE battery life, is the MDM9615. However, last I heard, it isn't expected to be released until Q2. Assuming Apple goes with that, I don't expect to see an LTE iPhone until sometime in mid to late summer. So that would be a small delay from the June timeframe some people probably would hope for. But the addition of LTE would be well worth the small delay for Apple.

So really, I think the iPhone 5 will have LTE, but I don't think it will have anything to do with Verizon demanding it. It will have it because the chipset release dates that Apple is waiting for will finally line up with Apple's schedule.

I don't know why anyone would expect next iPhone before fall. The iPad and iPhone releases are now 6 months apart which eases component demand spikes on their suppliers.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I don't know why anyone would expect next iPhone before fall. The iPad and iPhone releases are now 6 months apart which eases component demand spikes on their suppliers.

Judging by the insane demand we're seeing for the 4S, and the anticipated record iPhone sales Apple will report later this month, there is no need to release one ahead of Apple's normal schedule. Not yet, at least.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
I wonder if this has something to do with Verizon's horrible 3G speeds. I still don't see enough "4G" coverage from them yet for them to be making this move.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Gruber described the situation very succinctly recently, and I'll paraphrase:

Microsoft to carriers: Here's several hundred million dollars. Please sell our phones. Please??

Android OEMs to carriers: Here are our phones. What do you want us to change so that you will sell them?

Apple to carriers: Here's our new phone. It comes in black or white. We will allow you to sell it.

could not have said it better myself, spot on!

:apple:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
It's not the iPhone 5. Quit calling it that. :mad:

Get over it. There's plenty of threads, pages, and posts about why it's going to be called the iPhone 5 regardless of how many phone versions Apple has made.

Verizon is definitely not stupid enough to try to influence Apple (and risk losing the iPhone), so they're either aware that the next iPhone is LTE capable, or are prepared to make an exception for it.

Don't take it so seriously. It obviously means that the next iPhone will have LTE. People said the same thing about 3G back when the update was but a breathe away.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW

iPhone will have LTE and will be released in October

:apple:

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
In more important news, when Verizon has the iPhone 5 all us iPhone 4 users will finally be able to leave AT&T sans contract-of-interest.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
I am willing to bet that the new Qualcomm LTE chipset will not be in the iPad 3. It's hoped they can get the new process down in time for mass production in Q2, but clearly there is time between design, testing, validation, mass production. I am guessing they will use the current LTE chipset (since they have much more space for battery size than the iPhone) and then the new chipset in the fall for the iPhone LTE (that's what I am calling it for now).

Just my theory.

No, the current LTE chipset is horribly inefficient. Once this they can produce one that is somewhat efficient-in Apples eyes, then and only then will they use it. They could give a rats ass about what Verizon says. If they release the 5 with no LTE, Verizon will gladly sell it and say 'thank you sir, may I have another' in the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.