Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfan

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
seriously

teams of scalpers with arm bands? how ballsy to just flaunt that, you are just asking for trouble. That country has no shame.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The Chinese scalpers are almost just as bad at Apples American retail stores. Relentless.

I have never understood why Apple does not put controls on sales at launch of new products to provide a good experience for all customers. An example of what I'm suggesting would be to not sell products for cash at launch (in US stores) to ensure that purchases are only made by local customers in the launch market. I'm sure each market would need it's own set of controls to deal with it's own local needs. So what would China need?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
China, a country where people hate America, yet, they love their products... Is it envy? Nonetheless, all humanity is this ****ed up, not just China - just look how crazy us westerners go about the launch of a new iPhone or iPad too...

The Chinese people do not hate America or Americans. I travel there every 6 weeks.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple should just enforce a one iPhone per customer policy for the first couple weeks of sales to reduce the scalping.

I think I heard the limit in China is five per customer; of course you're going to get scalping with that limit!

The limit is one per customer. Just like the US release.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple didn't seem to learn much from the iPhone 4 launch in China. Same situation. Even the same store.

You cannot stop the gangs from buying up iPhones and reselling them. They are willing to camp out for days in front of the stores to be the first 200 in line...

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Two questions (and potential answers):
- Why do we always see organised lines in photos from product launches in the North America, Europe, Australia, Japan and other countries and only unorganised crowds in China? Do the Apple Stores in China not even attempt to organise the lines? Are they not allowed to cordon-off lines and employ private security guards in the public space (as they do in the North America, Europe, Australia, Japan and other countries)? Or do the Chinese simply don't feel the need to obey to private security guards that show them the end of the line?
- Who does bring eggs to a product launch? Is is some sort of power struggle between scalpers and Apple, ie, if Apple restricts the scalper's access by imposing limits like two phones at most and some ID to keep track of people, do the scalpers threaten Apple to create a riot (not in written form but by just creating a bit of a riot as a warning to Apple)?

I guess non-controversial answers might be:
- ratio between potential customers and stores is just much lower in China which makes line forming much more difficult
- a very large pool of very cheap labour that can be employed by scalpers to buy products (and create riots) simply because of the much larger group of relatively poor people in Chinese cities

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Why halt production? Apple can barely meet the insane demand for the iPhone as it is.

I think "Themaeds" was referring to how many workers at Foxconn commit suicide, far more of a travesty than an angry mob. We turn a blind eye to these tragedies.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Why halt production? Apple can barely meet the insane demand for the iPhone as it is.

Fly on over to China and help out with the production! I am sure you will love the working conditions! Why waste your time preaching on macrumors when you can really make a difference in those factories.... please please... please!!!

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
China, a country where people hate America, yet, they love their products...

I have never personally witnessed a Chinese person hating Amercians. I feel this statement reeks of BS, and your own personal view on humans of different races.

In fact, I have yet to meet a chinese person (in China or here) that does not envy us from the west.

On topic, that is some amazing turnout.

jegi

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
USA
iPhone REVOLUTION!

Who knew the iPhone would bring down the Chinise Communist regime? :p

Themaeds

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
I think "Themaeds" was referring to how many workers at Foxconn commit suicide, far more of a travesty than an angry mob. We turn a blind eye to these tragedies.

You hit the nail on the head...I find it hard to use this wonderful device when i think about all the innocent lives that were lost.

First they suffer tragedy through the production process, then they risk being trampled while buying it. This is madness!

Last edited:

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Apple should just enforce a one iPhone per customer policy for the first couple weeks of sales to reduce the scalping.

I think I heard the limit in China is five per customer; of course you're going to get scalping with that limit!

Yep what he/she said.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The Chinese scalpers are almost just as bad at Apples American retail stores. Relentless.

Hardly. The chinese scalpers actually come over here to the US when the phone is released here...then go back to their country...that's pretty hardcore.

Also, the Chinese have a higher limit on what you can buy. They need to limit them to 1 iPhone and 2 iPads at launch.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You hit the nail on the head...I find it hard to use this wonderful device when i think about all the innocent lives that were lost

C'mon now. Suicides are a part of life in this world. Did you realize that the suicide rate amongst Foxconn workers is far lower than suicide rate in China? Depending on who you ask, the suicide rate in China is 14/100,000 (or 29/100,000). The suicide rate at Foxconn was 14/800,000 ... or around 2/100,000 in 2010, which was the high water mark. Last year, they had 4 attempts.

Not entirely sure if the data only includes suicide attempts at Foxconn location or if it's for all Foxconn workers.

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Apple really knows how to hype up the sales. This reminds me of South Park - Cartmanland. Don't let anyone in, build up the hype.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You hit the nail on the head...I find it hard to use this wonderful device when i think about all the innocent lives that were lost

Things aren't exactly idyllic in rural China, where people are more likely to die of starvation or disease. China in 2012 is a little like the US in 1912, except its government is more ruthless.

Actually, the workers at FoxConn probably have it better than most.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
One per customer. It's not rocket science.
As I said above, what if scalpers can easily find thousands of people to be employed for $5 to wait a day in front of a store? That would not be affected by the one-per-customer rule.

(Requiring a credit card likely would but I do not know if this would an acceptable requirement in China.)

DamenS

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
That's an amazingly cold response. How's your job in Goldman Sachs going?

Not only is it a cold response, it's not particularly intelligent either: China Mobile is not going to be "brought online" any time soon, and CERTAINLY not prior to the end of this quarter. There is no way China Mobile will "really propel Apple's quarter". Also, if Apple do not allow orders to be taken online (in addition to disallowing sale from their own Retail Stores), how is this really propelling Apple's quarter ??

hkenneth

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I have never understood why Apple does not put controls on sales at launch of new products to provide a good experience for all customers. An example of what I'm suggesting would be to not sell products for cash at launch (in US stores) to ensure that purchases are only made by local customers in the launch market. I'm sure each market would need it's own set of controls to deal with it's own local needs. So what would China need?

There are only 5 Apple stores in mainland China...

----------

Not like in the US that Apple open their stores in every university, every Target and Bestbuy, Apple in China intentionally made themselves "elite look-like" by only opening a few (5 actually) gigantic stores in the richest communities in China. Chinese have no shame maybe, but Apple definitely should take some responsibilities for such a frenzy.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
You hit the nail on the head...I find it hard to use this wonderful device when i think about all the innocent lives that were lost.

First they suffer tragedy through the production process, then they risk being trampled while buying it. This is madness!

I agree. It sickens me that we continually support companies like Apple than have no regard for human life. As far as I'm concerned, every time we buy from Apple it is using blood money.

Sent from my iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.